Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

3 Questions to Ask Before Booking a Showing

Matt Crowley

REIN Member
^Jason's 3 questions:
For when are you looking to move-in?
For how long would you plan to stay?
For how many people?

I would add:
Why Mill Woods? <area>
Are you up to date on all your bills?
Do you have any pets?
Have you give your landlord notice?
What do you do for work?

JBagorio

Registered
Definitely Matt, these are the next set of questions and more... To ask when I have considered showing the place to a phone inquiring potentials.

kfort

Registered
I almost never communicate with respondents via phone. It's a pain in my rear. I have 10 or 11 questions via email auto response.

Yes I lose some who would prefer phone communication. Doesn't even bother me. I suppose in an exceptionally slow market it would.

My auto response in its entirety (much of it was borrowed from this forum years back):

Thanks for your inquiry about our unit for rent. Please complete and return the questions below and we will contact you to arrange for a viewing. Please note: viewings are by appointment only and only those who fill in the following information will be contacted to schedule a time to view this incredible property.

1. When are you looking for a place to rent?

2. How long do you want to rent for?

3. How long have you been living at your current residence?

4. Do you have any pets? (Describe)

5. How many people (adults & children) will be renting this suite?

6. Have you already given your current landlord notice?

7. Please tell me about your job(each adult). Details are useful

8. If you are offered the unit, do you have the deposit (1st months rent) immediately available?

9. Are you just starting your search or have you been looking for a while?

10. Please provide your name, phone number and preferred email address. I will most likely communicate via email for convenience.

Thank you,

Saskatoon Properties

Matt Crowley

REIN Member
^ wow Kristopher, you guys must have a very different market right now in Saskatoon! There is no way a landlord would get away with that right now in Edmonton unless they were giving away a suite. Far too much supply on the market and too few shoppers.

kfort

Registered
Market has slowed noticeably but is nothing that can't be managed. Vacancy across town is up and rents are down slightly. I would estimate ~5% vacancy & roughly 5% decrease in rent. For condos both those #'s would be double.

bradyloewen

Registered
We just took possession of a 3bdr/1bath main with 2bdr/1bath suite. Fully reno'd. Plenty of inquiries and had suite rented out prior to possession and main floor shortly after. Up is $1375 plus utilities and basement is $1125 we pay the gas. Last July we'd have had the upstairs at $1500 plus and the basement around $1200. Kristopher is spot on with the above, only we got the people in for the showing and then asked most of questions. A good prospect is easily distinguished by their initial response to the ad anyway. We always like to book multiple showings with in 10min of each other and create a bit of demand/hype. If we are going to be there showing it to our hopefuls anyways, it doesn't hurt to have the "no" list be there to help create the hype. We still got to choose our type of tenant - 2 adults up, 1 adult down, no smokers, no kids and no pets! No complaints in Saskatoon right now.

Last edited:

AnnaDanishek

New Forum Member
Registered
I hate that tenants lie about pets. And then you just discover consequences

Adria Winburn

New Forum Member
Registered
I almost never communicate with respondents via phone. It's a pain in my rear. I have 10 or 11 questions via email auto response.

Yes I lose some who would prefer phone communication. Doesn't even bother me. I suppose in an exceptionally slow market it would.

My auto response in its entirety (much of it was borrowed from this forum years back):

Thanks for your inquiry about our unit for rent. Please complete and return the questions below and we will contact you to arrange for a viewing. Please note: viewings are by appointment only and only those who fill in the following information will be contacted to schedule a time to view this incredible property.

8. If you are offered the unit, do you have the deposit (1st months rent) immediately available?

10. Please provide your name, phone number and preferred email address. I will most likely communicate via email for convenience.

Thank you,

Saskatoon Properties
Nice article..

Tina Myrvang

Client Care Lead
Staff member
REIN Member

Thank you,

Saskatoon Properties
REIN Member have access to a Form on their Member Back Office called Instant Rental Approval Form. You can access this in Critical Documents - Tenant and Landlording

Top Bottom