Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

5% down payment question

dylancaharel

New Forum Member
Registered
Hello everyone,
So I was informed but someone that you aren’t able to use the first time home buyer 5% down payment option on rental properties and that you can only use the 5% down on a house you will be living in. In not sure how reliable the source is so I’m seeking your input!
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using myREINspace

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
Correct. Rental properties need 20% down.

Sent from my iPhone using myREINspace

Cory Sperle

REIN Member
It's not just for first time home buyers, but everyone as far as I know as long as you just have one. More than one individual I know personally has done very well by buying with 5% down, living there for a year, renting out, and buying another place at 5% and repeating several times.

Alvaro Sanchez

Ottawa-Gatineau Investor
Registered

Michel Lafleur

Frequent Forum Member
REIN Member
I understand that you can buy an investment property with 5% down so long as its intended to be your primary residence for the foreseeable future. I know of many guys who bought their first doors that way, lived there a few years then moved on.
If you dont plan to live there, its tough to find a lender who will do it for anything less than 20% down for an investment property.

Matt Crowley

REIN Member
Yep, 20% down minimum on a standalone investment property. The cool caveat is that if you buy a home a bit out of your price range with a legal suite the bank will count that income towards what you can afford and allow the 5% down. If you are young and mobile this is a great strategy.

When it comes refi time, the bank will need to see that 20% down however if you do a few of these which can happen from a combination of renovations, principal pay down, and market appreciation. Letting the principal balance tick away is one of the most awesome things in the world.

Cindy9233

New Forum Member
Registered
One mortgage broker I work with says you may be able to put less down if you have enough equity built up in other properties. I dont know enough about it and can get you her phone number if you'd like. Would like to hear other mortgage brokers thoughts on that too

Sent from my SM-G960W using myREINspace mobile app

Matt Crowley

REIN Member
^ unless the broker syndicated the loan across properties, probably not, and in aggregate would need to meet the 20% threshold.

Unless you are 20% down, you won't mean the DCR requirements anyway with pricing where it is at so it is a moot point.

Top Bottom