Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

80% with no backend insurance possible?

bizaro86

Registered
Hello,

I recently had a situation come up with regards to financing, and I thought I`d inquire here.

We have an accepted offer on an apartment style condo, for which we plan to put 20% down. Our mortgage broker secured a mortgage approval for us from First National, but CMHC denied their application for back end insurance due to the "state of the building." This was a failed condo conversion here in Calgary, so although it does now have a condo board, there is no reserve fund in place, and a special assessment is possible for some deferred maintenance. I think its a good investment irrespective of those issues.

What options are there for non-CMHC back ended 80% down rentals, in people`s experience? My broker is trying a Genworth insured lender, but I`m wondering if they`ll have the same issue. Does anyone (Scotia, maybe?) do 80% rentals without insurance?

Thanks for any insight,

Michael

RobMacdonald

Registered
Your best option is probably Scotia, but if the appraisal indicates the deferred maintenance, the LTV may be cut back. Scotia is probably the best option through a mortgage broker. TD will require probably 25% down. Firstline can finance at 80% but the property must meet the 1.1 dcr rule at a 25 year amortization.

PeterKinchMortgageTeam

Registered
Hey Michael, Dominion Lending Mortgages uses Genworth on the backend, but whether they would lend on it or not would come down to what the `Special Assessment` is. You can avoid the insured-lenders but the chartered banks who do not rely on back-end insurance will likely have the same issue.
My PK -Approved broker in Calgary is Shawn Selanders - you could try contacting him.

Peter
QUOTE (bizaro86 @ Jul 28 2010, 11:16 AM) Hello,

I recently had a situation come up with regards to financing, and I thought I`d inquire here.

We have an accepted offer on an apartment style condo, for which we plan to put 20% down. Our mortgage broker secured a mortgage approval for us from First National, but CMHC denied their application for back end insurance due to the "state of the building." This was a failed condo conversion here in Calgary, so although it does now have a condo board, there is no reserve fund in place, and a special assessment is possible for some deferred maintenance. I think its a good investment irrespective of those issues.

What options are there for non-CMHC back ended 80% down rentals, in people`s experience? My broker is trying a Genworth insured lender, but I`m wondering if they`ll have the same issue. Does anyone (Scotia, maybe?) do 80% rentals without insurance?

Thanks for any insight,

Michael

Top Bottom