Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Adding another tenant to lease

Julie13384

New Forum Member
REIN Member
Hi - quick question....

We have a tenant that will be away for a number of months and will have a friend staying in his home while he is away. Our tenant would like to add his friend to the lease, so that he will not be held responsible for any damage that his friend causes. (This is actually what he said, which definitely raises a red flag!)

If we were to add him to the lease, we would need to do the same type of qualifying work as we usually do - run a credit check, check references, etc. Because this is more work that on my end is unnecessary as we already have a signed lease in place, am I able to charge an administration fee for my time and the cost of the credit check? We are in Ontario.

Thanks for any help!

Tina Myrvang

Client Care Lead
Staff member
REIN Member
Hello Julie,

I found some information regarding your situation through the Landlord and Tenant Branch for Ontario. If you decide to let your tenant do an assignment, which states below that the tenancy agreement stays the same.

Section 14 on the new Standard Lease for Ontario it states:

1532020693059.png

Section P.

1532020644782.png

Last edited:

Julie13384

New Forum Member
REIN Member
Thanks for the reply. I believe then it would be an "Assignment" as the current tenant is not moving out, just going away for work for a couple of months. It doesn't mention an admin fee for qualifying another tenant. Am I able to do so legally in Ontario?

Tina Myrvang

Client Care Lead
Staff member
REIN Member
For this tenancy, did you use the NEW Standard Lease Agreement for Ontario?

Julie13384

New Forum Member
REIN Member
No, it was signed before the new lease came into effect. Actually, it was signed before we purchased the property.

Top Bottom