Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Amending lease to reflect tenant's boyfriend and children moved in

gwenbarb

Registered
The boyfriend and two children of a tenant have moved into her apartment and we want to amend the lease to show him living there and his children living there part time. One option is to write changes on the lease and initial changes, but that would be messy. I have drafted an amendment form using a template I found online that references date of signing amended lease, date of signing original lease, the premises, clause being amended with the updated list of residents, statement that rest of lease is unchanged and signatures of landlord, original tenant, new tenant and witness. By the way the boyfriend had applied to rent basement apartment but decided it was cheaper to move in upstairs so we have already vetted him as a tenant.
Is an amendment form the best approach or should we just hand write changes on lease.
I can provide form I drafted but don't want to post it online as tenant names are there.
I read a legal opinion online that landlord in Ontario has no say if roommates, boyfriends etc move in. Is that true? If so, would an amendment stand up with LTB re collecting rent from either tenant?
Thank you.

Matt Crowley

REIN Member
In Alberta I would just hand-write in the change. Sounds like you have a very cooperative tenant, who has been willing to go through your due diligence process. I would make things as easy as possible for the tenant now, and signing his name on existing lease is easiest.

Top Bottom