Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Anyone investing in Sarnia, Ontario?

tylerpearson

REIN Member
Hello all,

I have a few properties in Sarnia, Ontario and I was wondering if anyone else has any properties or even thoughts on area.

From my personal experience, it has never really been an area that has provided me with much appreciation but from a cash-flow perspective it`s been great.

Curious to know if anyone else is investing or considering investing in the area.

Cheers,
Tyler Pearson

ps. Feel free to PM me if you`d like.

Chris3354

Registered
QUOTE (tylerpearson @ Apr 21 2010, 05:19 PM) Hello all,

I have a few properties in Sarnia, Ontario and I was wondering if anyone else has any properties or even thoughts on area.

From my personal experience, it has never really been an area that has provided me with much appreciation but from a cash-flow perspective it`s been great.

Curious to know if anyone else is investing or considering investing in the area.

Cheers,
Tyler Pearson

Hi Tyler,

We are out in BC and have been looking in Sarnia and Windsor for a few months doing the "due dilligance" and would like to purchase our first investment property out there as, like you said, the cash flow appears to be good if not great.

Chris Pearson
Nanaimo BC

housingrental

Registered
For Windsor factor in potential for 15% vacancy... so certain buildings 20% plus... Then factor in higher amount of uncollected rent.... The look to future propspects and how this might impact rent roll

Not impossible, but very hard to make money in falling markets with rents falling and vacancies rising.
QUOTE (Chris3354 @ Apr 27 2010, 11:04 PM) Hi Tyler,

We are out in BC and have been looking in Sarnia and Windsor for a few months doing the "due dilligance" and would like to purchase our first investment property out there as, like you said, the cash flow appears to be good if not great.

Chris Pearson
Nanaimo BC

edify

Registered
QUOTE (Chris3354 @ Apr 27 2010, 11:04 PM) Hi Tyler,

Chris Pearson
Nanaimo BC

Hi Chris, How`s the investing in Windsor going? My husband and I relocated here about a year ago to get more involved in investments as well as our business is virtual. So far I`ve found the area to have quite a bit of promise and although there are a fair bit of vacancies out here - I`ve generally found from driving around the neighbourhoods - there`s a reason. Many of the buildings/units with signs are ones that aren`t as well taken care of. And I`ve also found for many people that come from the area, there are certain sections of Windsor that have stigmas so depending on what kind of tenants you`re hoping for you still have to work through the preconceived notions of the area. Anyways, if you`re still interested in the area and could use some eyes/ears in the area, I`d be glad to help. I know executing good due diligence is important and it can be challenging with the distance especially when you`re trying to get unbiased information. My email is [email protected] if there`s anything I can do to help - I`m not on the boards much so emailing direct may be easier.

All the best with your endeavours!

Sherice

CarlaJohnson

Registered
Hi Tyler,

Sarnia is my home town. While I haven`t lived there in a long time, I still have lots of family and friends there. My cousin and her family own some commercial and multi-residential units. I believe that commercial vacancies can be high, but the residential sounds fairly solid with good cashflow. There is a buzz about a new plant going in, but it`s not up yet, so it`s hard to predict appreciation. It`s slow on a good year.

JasonUy

Registered
Hi,

I'm wondering if some of the experienced investors can point me where I can find more info on the economic fundamentals in Sarnia. I know cashflow seems good but what supports the city? I know there are some petroleum related jobs. Are there any other industries that the city supports?

I'm just starting my research in the area and any pointer to speed up my due diligence would be appreciated.

Regards,
Jason

troymichael

New Forum Member
Registered
Hello all,

Cheers,
Tyler Pearson

Hello Tyler,

I am also a real estate investor from Sarnia. I have a property here as well as in London Ontario. I have noticed that you'll make very little money here on appreciation and the cash flow is good, just not as good as London. Feel free to message me if you'd like to chat

mark11

New Forum Member
Registered
Hello troymichael, I have been looking in Sarnia cause of the high cap rates and the proposed nova plant extention. There is jus something about the city that turns me off. With regards to London I would love to hear ur feedback. Thanks

Kim8508

London realtor,investor,renovator
Registered
Hi Mark: As an investor; property manager and realtor who has lived in London for 30 years, I can share with you a lot of insights about the city and area. Let’s get together for coffee.

Kim8508

London realtor,investor,renovator
Registered
Hello troymichael, I have been looking in Sarnia cause of the high cap rates and the proposed nova plant extention. There is jus something about the city that turns me off. With regards to London I would love to hear ur feedback. Thanks
Hi Mark: with regards to London, as an investor, property manager and realtor as well as living here for 30 years, I have a lot of insight I can share with you. Let me know if you’re still interested and we can meet for coffee or maybe at the next REIN meeting in TO.

Twolla

New Forum Member
Registered
Hi Mark: As an investor; property manager and realtor who has lived in London for 30 years, I can share with you a lot of insights about the city and area. Let’s get together for coffee.
Hi there. I’m considering London for my next investment property. Are you still in the real estate business? Thanks.

VitaFizz

New Forum Member
Registered
I heard a lot of people started to buy real estate in Canada and Sarnia area specifically for renting it out purposes. Brings some good money as I understood. Just went to look for some prices https://tranio.com/canada/ and I must say some options really look attractive from a price perspective :rolleyes: so maybe it's not such a bad area for investment.

Tina Myrvang

Client Care Lead
Staff member
REIN Member
Hello Vita,

Don't just look at the price. Look at the area. What is the tenant profile. What are the rents in the area. What is the vacancy. Is it close to amenities. Find out what you Tenant profile is and work with that. If you want Doctors then buy where Doctors want to live. Close to Hospitals for example. Then work the numbers for ROI, Cash flow etc.

Top Bottom