Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Are you choosing Lawyer or Notary for the real estate transaction

tnguyen

Registered
Hello everyone,
Please send your opinions on the simple residential real estate transaction with the value $2mil and up:
-Are you preferred hire Lawyer over the Notary or vice versa and why?
-What is the Lawyer can does and notary can't? I know most the lawyers charge higher rate than notaries. Some of the realtors suggested to the sellers or buyers to use the notary over the lawyer. Your opinions are really appreciated.

Alvaro Sanchez

Ottawa-Gatineau Investor
Registered
I guess depends on your jurisdiction. I.e. In Quebec, I deal only with notaries other jurisdictions, lawyers. Regardless, make sure the professional is well verse in real estate transactions.

Tina Myrvang

Client Care Lead
Staff member
REIN Member
If you use a Notary here in BC to witness the documents, if at some time the deal goes to court for whatever reason, a notary can not represent you. You will have to hire a lawyer.

tnguyen

Registered
Yes, that is only if the deal goes side way and the lawyer will charge more base on the time consumption. However, if it is just the straight transaction, then i think both use the same procedures

Martin1968

Frequent Forum Member
Registered
If you use a Notary here in BC to witness the documents, if at some time the deal goes to court for whatever reason, a notary can not represent you. You will have to hire a lawyer.

Most lawyers you use for real estate transactions are just transactional lawyers and not litigation lawyers and will not assist you in court proceedings.

tnguyen

Registered
Thank you for an extra clarification. Most of us are really appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using myREINspace

Top Bottom