Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Bed Bugs - Being proactive moving forward

sfraser

Registered
Hello,

Well, we officially became another bed bug statistic today with confirmation of bed bugs in one of our rental units in Edmonton. Two options to rid the nasty pests have been posed; 1) chemical spraying - told about 3 sprays at $365/spray with no assurance of success, or 2) heat treatment - one treatment for around $1100 with a 6 month guarantee of success. I have read various posts by members with mixed results on either technique, along with other longer term programs (ie diatomaceous earth, etc). I am leaning towards the heat blast and hopefully be done with this issue, but the question becomes what next after this.

This is our first time experiencing these pests but it appears many others are experiencing the seme problem across the country. As a landlord with multiple doors, I want to be proactive going forward and put some measures in-place to eliminate occurrence and/or re-occurrence in our units. Do any fellow investors have any suggestions on what they have done, from a proactive manner, to reduce the incidence and/or financial burdens in the future? Any changes to wording in leases, etc?

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Stirling

REINteam

Registered
Hi Stirling,

Here are steps you can follow to be proactive with Bed Bugs

1. Use passive monitoring devices, here are some examples: Pit Fall Trap cheap and easy to use, this little device allows you or your tenants to take a quick look at the trap an instantly see if bed bugs are present...the idea that bugs climbing off your bed get stuck OR bugs attempting to get to you get stuck (these are cheap, I'm working with a distributor right now to get a deal for members). Another trap is a sticky trap, made by BDS, very similar to a fly strip Sticky Trap Here, it mimics a harborage site, traps the bugs, can be placed behind a bed and easily monitored (cheap too) and should have a member price soon. You can use these types of traps to monitor your units and it gives tenants the good feeling that you are looking out for them...but make sure you explain things up front - give them the handout I made up on pests in the home (attached to this post as well)

2. Keep this one quiet...to yourself, as it could get you in trouble, but one good tactic is to take a look on The Bed Bug Registry HERE whenever you get a tenant application...see where they currently live and if the building has been reported for bed bugs...might just want to pick another applicant. This isn't guaranteed, they may not have them, but something to consider!

3. If you don't manage the property yourself talk to your manager about bed bugs and see what they know. If nothing I recommend giving them my handout that is attached to this post so they can read AND so they can hand it out and I would recommend they get informed. With this your PM might want to start inspecting bigger tickets items when tenants move in (mattresses, headboards, dressers, etc) for signs of bed bugs...this doesn't have to be a huge time commitment, but a quick look is better than nothing. Simply looking for little black/brown/red spots on such items will help.

4. If you own a multi-family building put some of the traps mentioned in the laundry area or you can invest in a more sophisticated type of trap for those areas : Trap example here - note, this is for monitoring only, it will not eliminate bed bugs...you will still need a pro. Also, these links are just examples, you can look at the companies in the links, but we are working with a Canadian distributor to make it easier for REIN` Members.

Bottom line, keep communications open with tenants, state expectations up front and act quickly if tenants report something. Attached files ray_reuter_common_rental_property_pests_bc_20101130.pdf (2.2 MB)Â

sfraser

Registered
Hi Ray,

Thank you for the thorough and helpful response, as well as the pdf report. I would be very interested in hearing more if your manage to secure some member pricing for the various bed bug traps.

Regards,

Stirling

Top Bottom