Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Books?

czapskibusinessgroup

New Forum Member
Registered
I'm looking for some new books to read. I thought I would ask the forum.

I'd like to learn more about real estate taxes and mortgage strategy but any books will do.

I look forward to everyone's recommendations.

Thank you,

Kyle

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using myREINspace mobile app

kfort

Registered
Some of my favourites

4 hour work week - Tim ferriss

Good to great - Jim Collins. this is roughly an MBA in a book, his others are very nearly as good.

Drive - Daniel Pink. Read his others too!

The Hard thing about Hard things - Ben Horowitz (great lessons for CEO's of any sized business)

Zero to One- Peter Thiel (not a big fan of the human, but a great read)

Rework/ Remote - both excellent, Remote should be read by every manager who believes weekly staff meetings make sense.

Unmarketing - Scott Stratten. This is all the common sense that isn't so common in marketing/ social interactions.

22 immutable laws of marketing - Al Reis. this is a must read. And re-read. Quick and with great examples.

Positioning - same author as above. Also a great (though with some overlap) read.

Priceless - William Poundstone. So many myths about pricing busted!

I've read most of the Rich dad stuff. Only one I truly found useful was the original. It's worth a look.

This book will teach you how to write better - Neville Medhora. Best $8 I ever spent on learning about advertising. Super quick. Super simple. More useful than a fidget spinner on a grade 8 field trip.

I will Teach you to be Rich - Ramit Sethi. This guy is the real deal. Go read his blog too. Incredibly useful blog and this book is mostly a compilation of that

...That's a good start.

Matt Crowley

REIN Member
Mmm... for more real -estate centered list for serious investors:

https://www.wallstreetoasis.com/forums/must-read-real-estate-books

I'm not personally a fan of most of the above books...too many blank pages, really lacking in insight generally. If you want to develop really strong RE skills, I'd suggest attacking an MIT or Harvard masters in real estate reading list. Just find the course and then use the syllabus and buy the textbooks. Here is a syllabus for MIT course on Real Estate Economics, highest rates RE school in the world:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2xCJkvwQ4Y2Mk8xcHhlRE8wRG8/view?usp=sharing

Also, Google Scholar is great for really useful research on bubble, real estate cycle timing, economics of real estate. This is an excellent and brief review of real state economics by Professor William J. Poorvu from Harvard Business School:

http://c.ymcdn.com/sites/www.realpa...ofessional_development/financial_analysis.pdf

If you want real boot camp, check out the courses from PERE (Real Estate Private Equity)

https://www.privateequityinternational.com/bookstore/

Marnie

Frequent Forum Member
Staff member
REIN Member
Specifically for real estate and taxes, try 81 Financial and Tax Tips for the Canadian Real Estate Investor by Don R. Campbell, Navaz Murji CGA and George E. Dube MAcc, CA
Peter Kinch, is a Canadian Mortgage & Investment Advisor and he has wrote/co-wrote two books: The Canadian Real Estate Action Plan and 97 Tips for Canadian Real Estate Investors.
You could also search the REIN blog for mortgage strategy articles.
I've heard some great things about 4-Hour Work Week and Tim Ferriss' podcast is excellent. As is The Everyday Millionaire!

kfort

Registered
Checklist Manifesto- I really liked that one.

Influence - Robert Caldini. Also interesting.

For fiction, anything Hunter S Thompson. But by far, Fear and Loathing is his best. Hell's Angels started great then kinda dragged. Rum Diaries was great.

czapskibusinessgroup

New Forum Member
Registered
Amazing. I've read alot of these already and have all the REIN books. I may re-read the tax one.

I like the idea of MIT and Harvard reading list. Definitely going to look into that.

Thank you for the quick responses. I say keep them coming so others can use this thread as a guide.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using myREINspace mobile app

FranLyn

New Forum Member
Registered
Some good books I've read are:

Be the Better Broker, Volume 1: So You Want to Be a Broker?
Dustan Woodhouse

Legal, Tax and Accounting Strategies for the Canadian Real Estate Investor
Cohen, Steven

More Than Cashflow: The Real Risks & Rewards of Profitable Real Estate Investing
Broad, Julie

Hope this helps!

Top Bottom