Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Calgary Secondary Suite Grant Program

DaveRhydderch

Registered
To those who haven`t heard, the City of Calgary is running a pilot grant program to install/upgrade secondary suites into homes. They are willing to pay 70% of the construction and development costs. Here`s a few links from the City:http://www.calgary.ca/DocGallery/BU/dba/br...es_brochure.pdf http://www.calgary.ca/DocGallery/BU/dba/br...equirements.pdf

I think any investor and indeed many home owners would like to have the City of Calgary pay 70% of your costs to install a secondary suite (i.e. basement, garage, etc). However, there`s of course a few conditions.

I attended the info session lastnight, and came away with the following:

1. The major obstacle is zoning. To change zoning, you must get approval from the city council. I talked with the zoning comissioner lastnight, and he said its difficult to predict whether the council will approve zoning changes. It does happen, but there appears to be little reason behind who gets approval and who doesn`t. The process takes $2,500 and 3-6 months.

2. A major drawback of the program is you must agree to rent at "average" rents for 5 years. At present, that is $855.00 (including utilities, doesn`t matter if its 1 or 2 bedrooms). I am not sure where they get this number from, but a nicely built new suite should command 200-300 more. However, those are the rules.

3. The major advantage I see is an increase in property value. By installing a legal suite, you allow the rent from that unit to be accepted by the banks. Therefore, when selling you`re property, the buyer would be allowed to include that rent in declarable income, and be able to qualify to spend more on your specific property. This would be especially true after the 5 years are up and rent can be increased.

4. There are other conditions that must be meet - must live in the home, safety considerations, parking etc but ultimately I think this program would be beneficial to those with proper zoning. However, if zoning isn`t there, I wouldn`t recommend this program at this time. I am very interested to see how the issue of secondary suites progresses in Calgary, as presently we lag behind Vancouver, Toronto, Edmonton and even Saskatoon on the issue.

Any further questions, feel free to contact me.
Thanks, Dave

aiden1983

Registered
QUOTE (DaveRhydderch @ Sep 30 2009, 06:40 AM) To those who haven`t heard, the City of Calgary is running a pilot grant program to install/upgrade secondary suites into homes. They are willing to pay 70% of the construction and development costs. Here`s a few links from the City:http://www.calgary.ca/DocGallery/BU/dba/br...es_brochure.pdf http://www.calgary.ca/DocGallery/BU/dba/br...equirements.pdf

I think any investor and indeed many home owners would like to have the City of Calgary pay 70% of your costs to install a secondary suite (i.e. basement, garage, etc). However, there`s of course a few conditions.

I attended the info session lastnight, and came away with the following:

1. The major obstacle is zoning. To change zoning, you must get approval from the city council. I talked with the zoning comissioner lastnight, and he said its difficult to predict whether the council will approve zoning changes. It does happen, but there appears to be little reason behind who gets approval and who doesn`t. The process takes $2,500 and 3-6 months.

2. A major drawback of the program is you must agree to rent at "average" rents for 5 years. At present, that is $855.00 (including utilities, doesn`t matter if its 1 or 2 bedrooms). I am not sure where they get this number from, but a nicely built new suite should command 200-300 more. However, those are the rules.

3. The major advantage I see is an increase in property value. By installing a legal suite, you allow the rent from that unit to be accepted by the banks. Therefore, when selling you`re property, the buyer would be allowed to include that rent in declarable income, and be able to qualify to spend more on your specific property. This would be especially true after the 5 years are up and rent can be increased.

4. There are other conditions that must be meet - must live in the home, safety considerations, parking etc but ultimately I think this program would be beneficial to those with proper zoning. However, if zoning isn`t there, I wouldn`t recommend this program at this time. I am very interested to see how the issue of secondary suites progresses in Calgary, as presently we lag behind Vancouver, Toronto, Edmonton and even Saskatoon on the issue.

Any further questions, feel free to contact me.
Thanks, Dave

How would you go about getting the city to pay 70%? I assume it is upto 70% but how do we know how much we would qualify for?

RedlineBrett

Registered
Thanks for posting Dave,

The big implication here is that you have to live in the property... but it is certainly a step in the right direction for those of us that have secondary suites in their portfolio.

When I last looked at it I recall there being a clause that the property had to be operated as a rental property for 25 years... a term which would be protected with a lein on title allowing the city to recoup their investment if they could prove that it wasn`t. Not sure if that`s still in the fine print or not but that would be something to consider for those that would eventually want to sell... they`d have to sell to another owner-occupant who wanted to run the property as a suite.

JBagorio

Registered
This is definitely a step to the right direction, but ultimately it is still not helping the current issue we are having. The majority of the basement suite out there will definitely not qualify given that they will never meet most of the City’s requirement for the zoning conversion. I don’t really see anything different since they first implement this law early this year.

Top Bottom