Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Carpet tiles

jcab256

Registered
Has anyone used carpet tiles in a rental before?

one of the pros would be that if it gets stained, you can simply replace that one tile.

I`m looking for the opinions and experience of others.

Thanks!

dwoychuk

Registered
QUOTE (jcab256 @ Mar 17 2010, 10:01 AM) Has anyone used carpet tiles in a rental before?

one of the pros would be that if it gets stained, you can simply replace that one tile.

I`m looking for the opinions and experience of others.

Thanks!

Well they are very common in the retail world because of the ability to pull up one tile to replace, the only problem is that if was in a high traffic part of the home, the new tile would stick out like a sore thumb.

However, on that note you could also just replace the high traffic areas instead of having to redo the whole carpet.

housingrental

Registered
Thanks
I can`t picture how they actually look
Are they seamless between tiles when installed? or would you notice a difference over a large space between them and conventional carpet?

QUOTE (JimWhitelaw @ Mar 17 2010, 01:41 PM) http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Carpet+Tiles

dwoychuk

Registered
QUOTE (housingrental @ Mar 17 2010, 12:53 PM) Thanks
I can`t picture how they actually look
Are they seamless between tiles when installed? or would you notice a difference over a large space between them and conventional carpet?

Next time you are in a Best Buy or Future Shop have a look at their carpet, that is one example. Initially, you do see some seams, but after a while they disappear.

VicChung

REIN Member
QUOTE (dwoychuk @ Mar 17 2010, 01:00 PM) Next time you are in a Best Buy or Future Shop have a look at their carpet, that is one example. Initially, you do see some seams, but after a while they disappear.

I have used them in one of my lower units. I liked them because it was easy to install and then, are waterproof. I had a tenant that had to wipe the floors many times a day and damaged my laminate.

I find that they don`t look as nice, it is a cheap and easy alternative.

cmattric

REIN Member
I worked with many installer, and was an installer once.

Carpet tiles are rarely used in flooring business. Mostly in commercial applications.
Easy to install, that`s why installers love them since its the same money, less effort.

You have to make sure the installer uses quality glue and apply it to the whole tile on a smooth, even surface.
Otherwise it will pop-up.

Disadvantage:
Later on, when you need to remove a damaged tile, it is not easy to remove it without damaging neighbour edges.
So seam will show. In addition, since it`s a new piece it will show color differences anyways.

There are really nice, thick, quality ones that they use in Hotels. But they are quite expensive.

Mehmet

jcab256

Registered
Thanks everyone.

I will be going down to veiw a sample tomorrow, and I think I may try it out in a SFH.

Hopefully it will hold up, but I guess we`ll see.

jarrettvaughan

Registered
I work in a high-end resort and we use carpet tiles in our food and beverage outlets. They look great, however I would not use them in a rental property unless you can get tiles with a high pile.

Most of the carpet tiles that I have seen are low pile and would be uncomfortable in a suite.

QUOTE (jcab256 @ Mar 18 2010, 10:18 AM) Thanks everyone.

I will be going down to veiw a sample tomorrow, and I think I may try it out in a SFH.

Hopefully it will hold up, but I guess we`ll see.

kickman

Registered
QUOTE (jarrettvaughan @ Mar 18 2010, 03:40 PM) I work in a high-end resort and we use carpet tiles in our food and beverage outlets. They look great, however I would not use them in a rental property unless you can get tiles with a high pile.

Most of the carpet tiles that I have seen are low pile and would be uncomfortable in a suite.

Not all Carpet tiles are uncomfortable or low pile...

If you guys aren`t using Carpet tiles in your Units your missing out...I work for the largest flooring Manufacturer and I can tell you that this is the fastest growing segment of my business. They have come a long way from the old PVC style backing tiles that look like boring and wear fast. Our tiles are solution dyed sustainable nylon, 10 year commercial 20 year residential, resistant to staining and wear as well as fashionable that can perk up any unit. Very easy to maintain and will outlast most of those standard floors being used in rentals today such as Laminate, VCT, or Vinyl etc... You will pay more than laminate but it will last a whole lot longer and quiet and warm up the units.
Jus a thought there are many great choices out there just stay away from the cheap stuff from Costco, etc. Go to a flooring retailer who knows flooring.

Here is one of hundreds of colors styles and construction choices to choose from.

http://www.shawcontractgroup.com/ProductSpec/Show/59361

Top Bottom