Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Cash flow vs appreciation

Growler

New Forum Member
Registered
Hi all,

I am a complete newbie here. Just read "the book" this past weekend and wrote my personal Belize yesterday. Still a bit lost, but trying to figure things out.

I'm looking for some insight into what experienced investors assign more value to when analyzing a property...... higher cash flow or potential future appreciation.

As an example, I've been looking (by looking, I mean on Realtor.ca) at some properties in Sarnia, ON and many seem to have excellent cash flow potential, when using the quick screening formula. I also have come to realize that Sarnia does not hit on many of the key driving factors for appreciation or a "boom" (I could be way off on this analysis).

Are higher cash flowing properties (with less upside appreciation) still a viable option to create long-term wealth, or am I being completely shortsighted here? Sarnia seems to have some really affordable properties that keep drawing me back to that region.....perhaps because I don't have much cash to get started with.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!!

This is my first post..... I should probably celebrate this first step in my journey right?

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
Some thoughts on this topic here with a fictitious $1M.

Real estate is like a three course meal (TM). It has three profit centers: cash-flow (or the appetizer), mortgage paydown (the main course) and equity appreciation through asset improvements and inflationary rental upside (the dessert).

What is better: Cash-Flow or Maximum ROI ? http://myreinspace.com/threads/what-is-better-cash-flow-or-higher-roi.26596/
Cash-flow does NOT make you rich, but it allows a sustained ownership. Appreciation and mortgage paydown (by others) is where you get wealthy. [btw: A market with no upside - especially as a young person - ought to be avoided in my opinion. Others may differ in their worldview. ]

Last edited:

Growler

New Forum Member
Registered
Thanks Thomas,
Interesting thread. I see what you're saying. I guess the thought of cash flow is appealing, but in the end, short sighted if I want to achieve above-average results!

Top Bottom