Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Christmas Shopping for Investment Real Estate

wgraham

REIN Member
Another blog post from www.hgrei.com Please enjoy and have a great holiday season!

It’s cold outside! -25 to be exact not including the wind chill. Most people are so bundled up you can’t recognize them or are just simply staying inside, lighting a warm fire and putting the kettle on. I can’t blame them really. When it is this cold survival is on most people’s minds but I am a little different. To me this is the time of year to be buying property!
Baby-it-s-cold-outside--43600.jpg

You see, while most people are doing nothing but trying staying warm I am out finding my next deal. Investment real estate has a lot to do with finding motivated sellers and by definition if you have your house listed over the winter in Canada you are on that list!! Real estate in Canada is very much a seasonal market with the winter being the low point and the spring being the high point. I like to do the exact opposite of most people and buy property when most others are selling and selling when most others are buying. When you say it out loud it makes sense but for some strange reason 95% of people do completely the opposite...

If you are looking for a great deal this is the time of year to do it. Get out there and find yourself a vacant home that has been on the market for a while. Make an offer that you are comfortable with and I guarantee you that in the weeks leading up to Christmas your offer will be very seriously considered. This is truly your greatest opportunity to get into the market but you do have to leave the comfort of your own home to do it.

And while making your offer why not put in a closing date in the new year. It makes sense to the seller “Why would my buyer want to move in over Xmas?” The great advantage to this strategy is that you are now closer to the Spring when the market pops back to life again! It goes back to the old saying “Buy low. Sell high.” Simple and straight forward.

You might be thinking “How am I going to find a realtor that is willing to go out in this weather?” With a very significant commission cheque coming their way, Christmas just around the corner and no other buyers in the market trust me when I say “This won’t be a problem!”

We just picked up one of the best investment properties I have ever seen. This happened mostly because while everyone else was at home I was in the market looking and found myself a seller that NEEDED to sell their property TODAY. Well I was very happy to help them out and they were extremely happy to help me out.

But what if you are not in the investment real estate business but want to buy your next home (this would be most people)? This strategy works amazingly well in this circumstance as well. No real differences really other than now you are going to sell your existing home in the spring when all of the buyers are in the market again. Well good for you!!

So this winter while everyone else is Christmas shopping do a little “shopping” of your own. It might just be a little more fun than crazy malls and much more profitable!

ChrisDavies

Registered
Wade`s right on target. I`ve been talking so some sellers this week who are starting to get depressed, and I`ve found some great cash-flowing deals on MLS. I also have lots of free time right now to take people shopping, since our baby isn`t due for a couple weeks

CarrieKoch

Registered
Same here....I got a bunch of motivated sellers whose feelings had changed quite a bit in the last 6 months since I first started talking with them !

housingrental

Registered
This is also a good year to be cautious
Lots of reasons for concern
Is the market your focused on poised to rise or fall over the next 12 moths?

Nir

REIN Member
Wade is 100% correct! ALL the properties I purcahsed, were purchased in the winter.

margaretcowan

REIN Member
Would your winter words of wisdom also apply to multi-family properties?

I was in Edmonton this week, and walked through a few multi-family neighbourhoods (Oliver, Westmount, Inglewood), noting addresses of properties not for sale that may be a good fit for me.

I told a commercial realtor I liked working with that he could phone the owners for me in January, thinking that the Xmas season people, including property owners, are too busy.

Should I ask the realtor to contact these owners now instead of January?

Thanks
Margaret
Another blog post from www.hgrei.com Please enjoy and have a great holiday season!

It`s cold outside! -25 to be exact not including the wind chill. Most people are so bundled up you can`t recognize them or are just simply staying inside, lighting a warm fire and putting the kettle on. I can`t blame them really. When it is this cold survival is on most people`s minds but I am a little different. To me this is the time of year to be buying property!
Baby-it-s-cold-outside--43600.jpg

You see, while most people are doing nothing but trying staying warm I am out finding my next deal. Investment real estate has a lot to do with finding motivated sellers and by definition if you have your house listed over the winter in Canada you are on that list!! Real estate in Canada is very much a seasonal market with the winter being the low point and the spring being the high point. I like to do the exact opposite of most people and buy property when most others are selling and selling when most others are buying. When you say it out loud it makes sense but for some strange reason 95% of people do completely the opposite...

If you are looking for a great deal this is the time of year to do it. Get out there and find yourself a vacant home that has been on the market for a while. Make an offer that you are comfortable with and I guarantee you that in the weeks leading up to Christmas your offer will be very seriously considered. This is truly your greatest opportunity to get into the market but you do have to leave the comfort of your own home to do it.

And while making your offer why not put in a closing date in the new year. It makes sense to the seller "Why would my buyer want to move in over Xmas?" The great advantage to this strategy is that you are now closer to the Spring when the market pops back to life again! It goes back to the old saying "Buy low. Sell high." Simple and straight forward.

You might be thinking "How am I going to find a realtor that is willing to go out in this weather?" With a very significant commission cheque coming their way, Christmas just around the corner and no other buyers in the market trust me when I say "This won`t be a problem!"

We just picked up one of the best investment properties I have ever seen. This happened mostly because while everyone else was at home I was in the market looking and found myself a seller that NEEDED to sell their property TODAY. Well I was very happy to help them out and they were extremely happy to help me out.

But what if you are not in the investment real estate business but want to buy your next home (this would be most people)? This strategy works amazingly well in this circumstance as well. No real differences really other than now you are going to sell your existing home in the spring when all of the buyers are in the market again. Well good for you!!

So this winter while everyone else is Christmas shopping do a little "shopping" of your own. It might just be a little more fun than crazy malls and much more profitable!

housingrental

Registered
You will find at this point in the cycle few multi-family sellers at any time of year.

Seasonality has a greater impact on residential owner occupied properties.

QUOTE (margaretcowan @ Dec 12 2010, 03:02 PM) Would your winter words of wisdom also apply to multi-family properties?

I was in Edmonton this week, and walked through a few multi-family neighbourhoods (Oliver, Westmount, Inglewood), noting addresses of properties not for sale that may be a good fit for me.

I told a commercial realtor I liked working with that he could phone the owners for me in January, thinking that the Xmas season people, including property owners, are too busy.

Thanks
Margaret
www.italycookingschools.com

wgraham

REIN Member
QUOTE (margaretcowan @ Dec 12 2010, 01:02 PM) Would your winter words of wisdom also apply to multi-family properties?

Thanks
Margaret
www.italycookingschools.com

The other motivation for people is tax. The end of the year is often a great year to find people who will want to take a loss or realize some gains but I would say that getting a multi family project done this late in the year would be difficult for most people...but you never no!

CamMcCarroll

Registered
Timely advice Wade!
Just make sure if you have to fill vacancies to close in March or later as the rental market slows down significantly as well.

Top Bottom