Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Costs For Rebuilding In Calgary After Flood

ClintL

Registered
I recall that during the last REIN meeting in Toronto, it was mentioned that it will likely take Calgary and surrounding areas affected by the flood a long time to rebuild. One of the factors behind this is the lack of enough manpower.

So I told this to a contractor friend who is located in Montreal and suggested that he should consider relocating to Calgary for a few years to help rebuild. He is interested but of course is worried about potentially higher rent (for himself) as well as the labour rates he can get in Calgary compared to Montreal if it would be financially feasible for him.

Does anyone know what the average labour cost rates are in Calgary for any of the following?

1) Drywall installation - cost to install typical 4x8 gyproc sheets or per sq ft?

2) Cost to install ceramic tiles in bathroom floors and walls - per sq ft?

3) Cost to install hardwood or laminate flooring - per sq ft?

4) Cost for wall painting - per sq ft?

I would assume that the above type of jobs would be central to rebuilding units damaged by flooding.

RedlineBrett

Registered
[quote user=ClintL]

1) Drywall installation - cost to install typical 4x8 gyproc sheets or per sq ft?

2) Cost to install ceramic tiles in bathroom floors and walls - per sq ft?

3) Cost to install hardwood or laminate flooring - per sq ft?

4) Cost for wall painting - per sq ft?

I would assume that the above type of jobs would be central to rebuilding units damaged by flooding.

Really hard to get a unit rate on this, even when flood damage isn't part of the scope. Most general labor rates are charged out at between $35 and $50 / hr to the end user, with costs in the mid $20s through to the mid 30s depending on the qualifications of the tradesperson.

Pluming and electrical rates are obviously a lot more.

Flooding complicates things due to demo and restoration. If mold is present it can take a lot more time and money to remediate before you can even start putting new stuff in.

We have 9 trades guys on staff. It isn't impossible to find people here. My advice to your friend would be to only make the move if he can get on with an experienced operator with a good source of business.

Top Bottom