Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Creating a backup of your data file, and how to restore it

GarthChapman

Registered
It is VERY IMPORTANT to always have a current backup of your data file. The best place to locate that backup file is anywhere BUT on your computer that you run REMA on. This is because if that computer has a catastrophic failure your backup is also likely gone! Backup location suggestions are, another PC on your network, a CD, a portable USB drive (aka `thumb` drive or memory stick), or an external hard drive.

To create the backup simply go to Toolkit and click on Back Up My Database. A window will open allowing you to select the location of the backup, and also to name it. The default name is RemaBackup.mdb. I like to include the date of the backup in mine. That allows me to have `restore points` within my REMA data that I can revert to down the road. In other words I could go back to a backup data file I had a month ago if I wanted to revert to that for any reason. NOTE- all REMA data files use the filename extension .mdb - so if you rename your backup data file make sure that extension remains at the end of your new file name.

To revert your backup data file to become your live data file you will need to manually over-write your data file, which is named Rema.mdb. You can see where your Rema.mdb file is located via Help/About. It is referred to as the `Open Database Name`. You can also find it via Toolkit/View Database Location.

Just re-name the backup file to rema.mdb and then drag it to that location and you`re done!
I like to include the date of the backup in mine. That allows me to have `restore points` within my REMA data that I can revert to down the road. In other words I could go back to a backup data file I had a month ago if I wanted to revert to that for any reason.
NOTE- all REMA data files use the filename extension .mdb - so if you rename your backup data file make sure that extension remains at the end of your new file name.

mandmholdings

Registered
QUOTE (GarthChapman @ Aug 1 2008, 09:45 AM) It is VERY IMPORTANT to always have a current backup of your data file. The best place to locate that backup file is anywhere BUT on your computer that you run REMA on. This is because if that computer has a catastrophic failure your backup is also likely gone! Backup location suggestions are, another PC on your network, a CD, a portable USB drive (aka `thumb` drive or memory stick), or an external hard drive.

To create the backup simply go to Toolkit and click on Back Up My Database. A window will open allowing you to select the location of the backup, and also to name it. The default name is RemaBackup.mdb. I like to include the date of the backup in mine. That allows me to have `restore points` within my REMA data that I can revert to down the road. In other words I could go back to a backup data file I had a month ago if I wanted to revert to that for any reason. NOTE- all REMA data files use the filename extension .mdb - so if you rename your backup data file make sure that extension remains at the end of your new file name.

To revert your backup data file to become your live data file you will need to manually over-write your data file, which is named Rema.mdb. You can see where your Rema.mdb file is located via Help/About. It is referred to as the `Open Database Name`. You can also find it via Toolkit/View Database Location.

Just re-name the backup file to rema.mdb and then drag it to that location and you`re done!

I followed these instructions after reformatiing my computer and it isn`t working. I ran fixmdb file and it still soesn`t work. Any suggestoins?
Travis

Top Bottom