Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Do many of you provide a washer and dryer

Tootse

Registered
Just curious, do many of you provide washer and dryer in any of your properties? Not coin operated, just the regular ones. I provide it in one of my properties. I am buying a duplex and wondering if I should provide them or not....hmmmm.

fumbrunner

Registered
QUOTE (Tootse @ Feb 25 2010, 02:33 PM) Just curious, do many of you provide washer and dryer in any of your properties? Not coin operated, just the regular ones. I provide it in one of my properties. I am buying a duplex and wondering if I should provide them or not....hmmmm.

For properties such as duplexes where only one tenant has access, I do not unless there is one there when I buy the property. I do allow tenants to bring in their own if they have one. I do not supply one due to repair costs and more water usage (the only utility that I pay myself). If the basement is a common area, I put in coin operated washers and dryers. I have those in my two 3-plexes.

CalvinPeters

Registered
It is easier to get tenants if you have them installed. Who wants to have to take clothes to the laundrymat? This is about keeping happy renters afterall, if you can get away without it, great...but you can usually pick up a decent used pair for 2-3 hundred bucks that should last a few years.

Tootse

Registered
QUOTE (Nukav @ Feb 25 2010, 07:36 PM) It is easier to get tenants if you have them installed. Who wants to have to take clothes to the laundrymat? This is about keeping happy renters afterall, if you can get away without it, great...but you can usually pick up a decent used pair for 2-3 hundred bucks that should last a few years.

This has been my train of thought about this thus far. Considering what a set costs, and how long they should last, I think the cost of keeping the tenants a bit happier is worth it.

invst4profit

Registered
The only thing you have to watch out for, especially if you are paying water or utilities, is that the tenant is not running a laundromat service on the side. This is not uncommon especially when dealing with unemployable tenants receiving government benefits.

GaryMcGowan

Registered
Yes in our Single Family Properties
No in our Multi Family Properties. (not yet)
It does provide you with a great selling feature to your tenants.

housingrental

Registered
Yes
You should have this in almost all or all of your properties
Good tenants want on-site laundry and will not settle on not having it
As posted above guard appropriately against over use

mortgageman

Registered
Absolutely have a washer dryer. They are dirt cheap especially when you find yourself a good dent and scratch supplier. A good supplier means it`s often cheaper to buy a new unit than to have an old one repaired, believe it or not.

davidlucas

Registered
Always a good selling point when letting units, especially Bi-Level and basement suites. Put yourself in the renters shoes and remember QUALITY HOMES for QUALITY PEOPLE.

markl

Registered
Yes to all. Non coin op if the tenants pay the utilities and Coin op in multi families where they do not. If you can put it in the suite you will have a renter for a good long while.

ChrisDavies

Registered
And I`ll put a plug in for card operated, as I`ve seen many a coin-operated machine burgled.

Mitch Collins

Inspired Forum Member
REIN Member
Definately include a washer and dryer.

In my mind, it is false economy to believe you will have a savings in today`s market by not including basic appliances. You want the largest pool to tenants to draw from and once they are there, you need to keep them happy.

If you think that a washer and dryer are expensive, then try a month`s vacancy. In my mind, I wouldn`t even consider a unit without a washer and dryer in a single family (duplex, townhouse, etc) unit. In all my suited SFH`s, before purchasing, I always consider how I can plumb in seperate and private washer and dryers.

For the cost, you will get higher rents, better equity building tenants, less vacancy and more. That`s how I tent to look at the washer/dryer situation.

Best of luck.

KimFranz

REIN Member
I always make sure there is a washer and dryer - if you get the front loading washers they use way less water and newer ones are very energy efficient. I purchased a new pair for a property I bought a year and a half ago - now upper suite and lower suite have their own laundry. I always try to think of what I would like for myself in a home.

Kim

MikeMcC874

Registered
QUOTE (ChrisDavies @ Mar 4 2010, 10:34 AM) And I`ll put a plug in for card operated, as I`ve seen many a coin-operated machine burgled.

Card Operated? Can you explain more how these work?

Thanks
Mike

MikeMcCrae

Registered
Most of my properties have washers and dryers but I put in the rental agreements that the appliances are there and they are welcome to use them but they are not really part of the deal, and if they break I will not fix them. They seem to take better care of them when they are a bit more responsible. The tenants still usually call when they break and depending on the tenant I will pay or split the costs with them.

housingrental

Registered
Not doable in Ontario and many other provinces
Not sure if doable in Alberta

QUOTE (MikeMcCrae @ Mar 7 2010, 06:33 PM) Most of my properties have washers and dryers but I put in the rental agreements that the appliances are there and they are welcome to use them but they are not really part of the deal, and if they break I will not fix them. They seem to take better care of them when they are a bit more responsible. The tenants still usually call when they break and depending on the tenant I will pay or split the costs with them.

myme22

REIN Member
QUOTE (housingrental @ Feb 25 2010, 07:11 PM) Yes
You should have this in almost all or all of your properties
Good tenants want on-site laundry and will not settle on not having it
As posted above guard appropriately against over use

Really good common sense...
So, the trick is how do you apropriately control / guard (over)use?

Serge

Tootse

Registered
QUOTE (myme22 @ Mar 11 2010, 11:32 PM) Really good common sense...
So, the trick is how do you apropriately control / guard (over)use?

Serge

Good question. My approach is: Explain how to use the washer and dryer (do not to overload, keep level, keep lint collector clean, etc). Explain how long you typically expect such appliances to last for. Check on them during your scheduled inspections. They pay for the power to run them, maybe the water too? All of this is aimed at encouraging the tenant to have a high level of respect for your property. You return the favour by having the same level of respect for their rights and in responding to their concerns.

Tootse.

Top Bottom