Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Experience with legal/non conforming 8 plex?

darkness05

Inspired Forum Member
Registered
Hey everyone - I have a lead on an 8 plex and it is listed as a legal/non conforming. From what I am being told, at one point, the zoning supported the 8 plex but now it doesn't. I am contacting the city to see if they would grandfather the 8 plex. I am new to anything over a duplex so curious what ramifications this may have on future zoning, insurance, lending etc.

Would be considered commercial at this point to a lender?

Martin1968

Frequent Forum Member
Registered
You have gotten the right info about the zoning change, however from what i know these type of props (legal,non-conforming) are (almost always) automatically grandfathered in. But doesn’t hurt to double check with municipality. I believe the zoning as it was originally is leading, repairs or reno's won’t change that. But you do want to check what happens in case this 8 plex burns down and you want to rebuild.

As far as lending yes it’s considered commercial. (anything over 5 units)

Good luck, hope it works out for you.

darkness05

Inspired Forum Member
Registered
Thanks a lot - you are exactly right. My insurance company said that I needed to speak with the city to see what happens if the unit does burn down. Can an 8plex be rebuilt or will it have to be a 4P? Hoping to get an answer from them today!

Brad Redekopp

Registered
If it is legal it is grandfathered, If the zoning on a parcel of land changed you won't be able to build a structure that doesn't meet the current zoning requirements. If the minimum requirements for lot size change and yours does will not meet the new requirement you won't be able to rezone it. You also cannot do any structural changes or it will no longer be grandfathered, you can possible get around this by bringing it to planning and development and suggesting you are wanting to make beneficial fire & safety renovations, they might work with you on some structural renovations but definitely check with them first as they can pull the grandfather in and be stuck with a demo. This is based in Saskatoon and your municipality might have different rules/regs

Sent from my iPhone using myREINspace

Top Bottom