Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Female Tenant has new boyfriend who is apparently beating her and damaging property!?

Nir

REIN Member
Hi All,

One of the tenants in a 3-plex I have is a nice lady who has been living there for 5 years and always pays on time. However, recently she has a new boyfriend who is not a tenant there. He apparently beats her (she does not admit but the tenants are talking about it and she had 2 scary blue eyes last time I went there!) Also, her entrance door was broken she said break-in but nothing was stolen and I suspect the new boyfriend did it. Then, as of last week, another door, this time an internal door inside the apartment is broken. I paid for the entrance door but she did not complain about the internal door yet (she is probably trying to hide it), I just heard about it from one of the tenants living in another apartment in that 3-plex who showed me the broken door in the basement taken from her unit (no one lives in the basement).
I plan to enter her unit next week for "annual inspection".

Any advice how best to deal with this difficult situation would be highly appreciated!

Options I can think of:
- evict her ASAP
- talk to her
- try to charge her for any damage I find next week and if she does not pay within a certain period of time, evict
- report to police
- prepare a letter/agreement, and have her sign it, saying that "the boyfriend is forbidden to be on the property under any circumstances whatsoever..."
- other?

THANKS.

ps. first "break in" she told me about when the entrance door was broken and "nothing stolen", I asked her to report to the police and she did. I don`t think the police even went to the property as nothing was stolen so police said something like: "well, nothing was stolen so what can we do about it?"

mikedallaire

Registered
Depending on the relationship you have with her, you can do several things:

1. Talk to her to see if she needs help getting rid of this guy. He is most likely intimidating her. Advise her that you have received complaints of the fighting. Tell her to report him to police.
2. Have the other tenants call the Police anonomously when the next fight is heard. Tell them to report the incident as a "possible assault in progress or domestic dispute" and that it is not the first time this has occurred. Advise the police that the male appears to be violent and has damaged property previously. When the police attend, if there is any evidence of assault, police will or should arrest him for domestic violence. The police can impose conditions for him not to associate with her and not to attend the residence.
3. Serve him a tresspass notice (Ontario) or equivalent in other Province after the disturbance. He is not a tenant.
4. If she is not co-operative, evict her!

Good Luck!

Nir

REIN Member
Thank You Mike for the advice. I thought that to do it professionally, at least initially, I should just deal with her and in a way ignore her boyfriend`s existence. As if her boyfriend is HER problem, not mine (although it is also my problem but still she should pay for the damage as she is the one who let him in).
Then, if she does not pay/cooperate/resolve the issue, I should take the next step and involve police, other tenants, etc.. thoughts?
(ps. i don’t think tenants heard anything, they just suspect it`s him like i do)

ChrisDavies

Registered
One thing to consider, depending on where your property is: if the new boyfriend isn`t on the lease, he`s occupying illegally. That makes for a much simpler discussion if you go to DRS.

Nir

REIN Member
Thank You guys,

It`s unfortunate that soon I might have to evict the person who used to be my Best tenant.
I`ll know better on Wednesday when I am there - I guess it all depends on the damage he has done to the property.
The problem is she can not afford to pay more than $25 on anything in addition to her living expenses - courts decisions/orders don`t matter in this case!
...and that`s the risk I am taking by not evicting her.

Cheers,
Neil

Top Bottom