Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Finally Changed Property Managers!

karilu

REIN Member
I've had a breakthrough! After two and a half years of enduring a property management company

that never communicated with me in a timely fashion about ANY of the myriad of repairs my townhouse has

required, I have finally found someone I trust implicitly to take over ... NOW! What a sigh of relief I am heaving tonight, knowing that I can trust this person, and that he will treat my properties like his own.

Here's what I've learned throughout this whole trying process. If your gut is telling you that something

isn't right -- don't stuff that feeling down -- don't ignore it... Take the bull by the horns and deal with it!

I was treated like a small fish in a big pond... Phone calls seldom returned, information about repairs seldom given until I read about it in the monthly statement sometimes months later. I feel I was absolutely gouged when it came to the fees I was charged on top of the monthly management fee... and I am finally FREE!!!!!

My lessons have been learned, and it's time to move forward. Yes!!! A REIN success story. ;-)

Undivided

Registered
Hey this is so great to read! Glad you had the guts to change. Inspiring.

RedlineBrett

Registered
Did you self-manage before going to a manager to know what is entailed in property management? What makes you so sure this 'one person' is going to be a better fit? What proof do you have that you didn't get the sell job from someone else?

Are they licensed? Can they legally work for you in this capacity? If not and something goes wrong you don't have a lot of recourse. Do they have experience and connections to deal with issues that arise? What happens if your one guy goes on holidays, or is sick, overworked etc.

Are you sure your townhouse wasn't a lemon? what were your repairs and maintenance costs as a percentage of gross yearly rent?

Sometimes, when we have been beaten down a little our ears are eager to hear what we want to hear. Property management is tough and you spend most of your day giving bad news to either tenants or owners. But broken properties are broken properties and owners have an obligation to tenants to keep the unit in working order, and the manager is the arm that facilitates this.

karilu

REIN Member
Hello, RedlineBrett...

I posted in a bid to encourage other REIN members who feel victimized by a poor level of customer service to have the courage to let go of what isn't working and hire someone who is a better fit.

It wasn't meant as an insult to property managers like you who clearly have high standards of

customer service, communicate with their clients in a timely way, and through their actions show that they

value the people who have hired them.

As someone who has self-managed one property for six years and another for two, I have expectations

of someone I am paying to take care of my home. Those expectations were not being met.

Cheers!

BlaineBradley

Registered
Hello,

Which city is this in?

To save people some trouble, why not post who gave bad service and the company you moved your business to. Too many people seem to want to protect the anonymity of companies offering bad service. Please share and help others avoid some pain...

reinvestors88

Registered
In Hamilton, we learned from REIN investors that a bad ONE PM does not remit rent collection for months, issues untimely financial statements/accountability reports, fabricates stories to inflate expenses, etc. They eat small fish alive!!! The good news......they'd been fired early on before totally losing the investors' shirts!!!

So, beware whom you deal with.......

margaretcowan

REIN Member
I remember listening to a speech Vancouver business mogul, Jimmy Pattison gave about lessons he'd learned. He said if you can't fix a problem fairly quickly, get out. A lesson I'm still learning!

Cheers, Margaret

Mama Margaret Cooking & Wine Tours In Italy

www.italycookingschools.com

MrHamilton

Registered
Congratulations on your break through!

Quality property management is difficult to find. I'm very grateful to have the property managers I have today to manage my own properties and refer clients to. When you find a good one, treat them well no different that a quality employee.

A lesson for REIN members and all investors is to network regularly with other investors who share the same property manager so you can be more proactive, learn about problems before you run into them. I met an investor who's PM folded their business and six months had passed before the investor from Vancouver (property is in Hamilton) found out. It almost ruined him.

DonCampbell

Investor, Analyst, Author, Philanthropist
Staff member
REIN Member
Great Post,

Sure "Changing" anything in business (even when it is not working) can be painful. But, what we discover at the end of it is that the change often leads to positive momentum on other fronts.

Having a bad property manager sure doesn't compel you to add more to your portfolio... however having a good one does.

There is NO NEED to put up with bad service, in any areas of our biz. However, we will put up with it until the pain become too much, or the cost to dear. It is important for all of us to remember the 'Unseen Consequences' of not cleaning up messes like this. It drags the whole biz down.

CONGRATULATIONS!! Onward and upward

Don

Jeffrey2144

New Forum Member
Registered
As a fellow investor that started with little experience (bought my first property before joining REIN) I can appreciate how easy it is to underestimate "property management". After all, there is not one particular thing about property management that is very difficult.

Managing rental ads, notices, paperwork, maintenance, phone calls, keys, rent collection, etc. are all individual tasks that we are all capable of.

However, the complexity lies hidden until you combine hundreds of small tasks with different personalities (tenants, owners, neighbours, workers & properties -- yes properties have their own personalities!) with governing bodies (Landlord-Tenant Board, City Inspectors, By-law Officers, Fire Department, etc.) and then simply expect that your best intentions/ideas will go as planned.

This is where most people (Property Managers included) get in trouble. Nothing goes as planned and they get caught in a "reaction cycle" where they can never get ahead despite having a genuine desire to want to do just that.

I'm sure your PM never intended to over-charge you for maintenance work that was never discussed in the first place. Rather, a tenant called to complain about a maintenance problem. They responded to verify the validity of the complaint. Work was in fact needed. PM made a note to call owner then called handyman to quote, handyman never showed up. Tenant called back to complain. PM still not 100% sure what the solution is or what the cost is to fix it. Still intending to call owner, just need some more time to find reasonably priced solution. Tenant calls a third time, threatens to call the city if problem not fixed immediately. PM then has to hire the first person who'll respond to the call -- usually not the best person for the job. Handyman overcharges for poor quality workmanship. Handyman offers to go back and fix it, never does. PM wants to make it right and will fix themselves. No time, doesn't fix it. Needs cash flow. Invoices owner for the overcharged, poor quality work and then realizes they never told them about problem in first place so owner is left feeling surprised and ripped off. Excuses are made, another tenant calls about a broken do-hickey and the reaction cycle repeats itself.

Of course this is all avoidable if your Property Manager has the right systems & software with qualified people who know how to use the software and follow the systems to ensure they remain PROactive, not reactive.

So the next time you're looking for a new property manager ask them some detailed questions about how they handle upcoming vacancies, tenant concerns and maintenance requests, monthly reporting & owner communications, etc.

If you're satisfied with their systems then find out how many units/doors they have under management (most PMs are more than happy to tell you this number) and then ask them how many staff members they have.

Depending on the types of properties they manage and the software they use, the average property manager will need one staff member for every 30-50 units under management. This ratio will be different (I.e. 1:150) if they are managing hundreds of units in only a few larger Multi-family buildings.

Another major challenge for PM's is handling growth (seasonal demand and new clients).

It is rather easy to start a property management business (especially in Ontario where there is no regulation) but the real challenge comes when a single property manager reaches the 30 to 50 unit threshold and now needs to hire, train and manage their first employee.

At this point their whole position changes from having created your own job to becoming the owner of a property management business. Everything changes... Spreadsheets no longer work the way they used to and the thoughts that filled your head now need to be documented for others to read.

If they are growing then this transition can put a stranglehold around the business and it's likely that communication & service levels will drop. If they do then be prepared to roll up your sleeves and do what you need to do ensure your property is being adequately managed and tenants are being looked after.

An on-site inspection should be completed (by you) then discuss (don't blame) your findings with your PM. Create an action plan with key goals & dates to get things where you want them to be. Then monitor those dates and if things continue to slip be prepared to take further action.

Following this process will also prepare you in the event you need to transition to a new property manager. At least you'll have a better understanding of the problems and a clear set of expectations you can discuss (and measure) with your new PM.

P.S. I speak from experience. I'm the proud owner of Cornerstone Select Properties Inc. ` A full-service property management company serving Hamilton and the surrounding area. I'm also a 7-year REIN member and wanted to share my perspective so other investors can proactively manage their real estate business and those who help them support it.

JBagorio

Registered
Congratulation for taking the necessary action to better the health of your organization. I use the word "organization" given I treat my Real Estate gig as an actual business operation where as, I am in the driver seat, the captain, and the CEO. My take is, to first see it in this manner to be successful. As well part of being successful, I truly believe in continuously reassessing and reshaping my system including my TEAM. I call this a constant gradual improvements. Not drastic, but small changes in a timely manner. If you wait too long this small little annoyance or task will contribute to a bigger cause or issue.

Lastly, another point to share if you so allow me!? No one will ever treat your property or business as you would. Don't take me wrong there are good professionals out there and I am surrounded by them, but they will not surpass how I would handle or take care of thing as the owner, unless they are part owners themselves. At times it is even more complex to manage property managers than managing your portfolio directly.

wish you all the best,

Top Bottom