Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Fire extinguisher regulations in Ontario? (for single-family dwelling).

OttawaLandlord

Registered
I have a townhouse and my new tenant is asking if there is a fire extinguisher. I have no problems providing one except that since I do not visit the property every month I would have problems inspecting the extinguisher. In some places I have found that this could be a potential liability problem and not practical for single-family homes (since there is no on-site superintendent) and it is better off to delegate the tenant to take care. For instance... if there is a fire and the extinguisher doesn't work.. the owner of the extinguisher could be liable... On the other hand... if no extinguisher is provided and the law allowance that there there is no liability issue.

Any thoughts? (again... I am not talking about a multifamily, rooming, boarding, etc...). Would delegating (in written) the monthly inspection be enough? (if that's the case... any suggested wording?)

"Portable fire extinguishers are required in all buildings and any hazardous process or operation located outside. Dwelling units used as a domicile by one or more persons that contain cooking, eating, living, sleeping and sanitary facilities are exempt."

ShannonMurree

REIN Member
Though not a requirement - realize that once you provide anything you are liable for the upkeep, maintenance and/or replacement. Providing one is in everyone's best interest and most particular your tenants safety and that of your investment property. However, I suggest - they can be fairly inexpensive and I would say to tenant:

"if concerned about this I would suggest buying one for kitchen and this way you can take with you". This way liability is on them. You are responsible already for smoke and carbon monoxide detectors so up to you.

Good luck!

DanW

Registered
I have single family homes and I provide fire extinguishers due to my insurance policy and I just think it's safe. The fire department told me that you do not have to have them inspected in a residential setting. They just can't be expired. So no big deal.

kfort

Registered
Costco has 2 packs of multi use ones for like $40... Spend the $40 to make your tenant and your property safer. In a couple years when it expires keep it and let them practice in the backyard or something. Older ones you used to have to agitate every now and then but I'm not sure if the new ones require it or not.

OttawaLandlord

Registered
Thanks everybody. My tenants decided to get the fire extinguishers themselves (in fact, they like the idea of taking care themselves). I contacted the Ottawa fire departments and yes, they do expect the fire extinguishers to be in good conditions... I cannot guarantee that (by tagging and inspecting every month) neither I can't guarantee its adequate use (far from little kids, etc..) since I do not have control as if it was the case if the extinguishers were in a common area inside a building. I think that tenants who would make a responsible use of fire extinguishers would not mind spending 20 to 40 dollars. In any event I would rather offer them an equivalent discount on something else than going through the process of signing forms, disclaimers and hope for the best.

The last thing I want is a tenant staying behind because is trying to put out a fire if they are not properly trained or because the fire extinguisher malfunctions (and I can't guarantee that neither).

I think that somehow I'll modify the wording in my lease or just bring up the subject so tenants are aware that fire extinguishers are allowed but not provided while at the same time encouraging them to get proper training from the fire department.

Thanks again.

kfort

Registered
I like your idea of giving a small discount of equal value (put a max on this if stated in your lease so they don't buy some crazy $500 unit). Even a Tim card for the equivalent cost would probably encourage them to do it. Bonus for them is they will always have them as they own it not you!

Top Bottom