Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Greening Your Properties Part 2

kablett

REIN Member
Hello everyone,

I`m back with another piece of juicy eco-investor information for you. Today, I`ll be talking about hot water.
There`s a lot of talk out there about tankless hot water systems being an efficient subsitute for the old tanked systems.

In general, tankless systems do offer advantages over clumsy tank systems. The primary one being that you only pay to heat water when you need it, not to keep a huge vat of it warm all day even if you`re out of town. However, the hurdle that I, as an eco-investor, keep running into, is the payback period. Tankless systems can run you well over one thousand dollars, and with annual savings measured in the sub-$100 range, the payback period can be 10 years or longer: not bad if you`re a pension fund, but not necessarily the BEST use of our hard earned, opportunity cost ridden cash flow!

Enter the Watercycle.

There`s a group out of Saskatchewan that I had the pleasure of meeting a few years ago (they`ve come a long way since then), that has developed a simple, yet highly effective device. The technical name for it is a "Drain Water Heat Recovery System" and it works like this:

Think about what happens when you use hot water in, let`s say, the shower. That water has been sitting in your tank nice and hot all day waiting for you to use it. You`ve had to use a fair bit of natural gas to get it that way. Then you turn on the tap, it sprinkles you with hot, steamy goodness for all of a split second, and then it spirals its way down your drain, along with the money you just spent to heat it up. There`s got to be a better way.

The watercycle is a device that you install, made of highly conductive 1/2" copper pipe, coiled around a 48" length of 4" copper pipe, that attaches to a section of your 4" ABS drain. It`s purpose is to transfer the heat from the hot water leaving your house to the cold water entering it.

Remember, when you draw down your hot water tank, you also begin filling it with cold water from the municipality, which then needs to be heated up. Hence, when we shower for a long time, we sometimes run out of hot water!

With the watercycle, cold water entering the house is pre-heated by hot water leaving the house, before it ever gets to the hot water tank. This way, it`s already quite warm when it hits the tank. The result is that you virtually eliminate ever having a cold shower, use significantly less fuel to heat up your water (which results in less harmful GHG emissions), while extending the life of your hot water tank and saving you money in the process!

I haven`t seen the latest ROI figures, but what I can tell you is that the Watercycle retails in the hundreds of dollars, and with similar annual savings to those of the tankless systems, your payback period is reduced to a matter of years. This means healthy double digit annual returns to you.

I can also tell you that I was one of the first people in Calgary to install one in my home and it has worked beautifully for me for over 2 years now. In a house that has been known to have up to 6 people staying in it, we`ve never run out of hot water!

To be in accordance with full disclosure, I am not affiliated with this group and receive no monetary compensation for doing this. I just want to spread the knowledge, and encourage other REIN members to take eco-investing more seriously, because collectively we own a whole lot of real estate and if each one of us did a few things, we`d be well on our way to a sustainable future for everyone!

Happy Eco-Investing,

Kevin Ablett

p.s. for more info on the Watercycle please visit www.watercycles.ca

DonCampbell

Investor, Analyst, Author, Philanthropist
Staff member
REIN Member
Great Post Kevin!

Thanks for the info.

BMironov

Registered
Hello,

Here is another great technology to save on energy bill. I`m not sure that it is available in Canada. (hint-hint) It might be a possibility to license it and start production. At least they tested it in Buffalo.

http://ice-energy.com/pages/MarketsLearnMo...66/Default.aspx

The idea is simple:

QUOTE Ice Energy’s cooling technology has created a new paradigm for cooling. Rather than using a conventional air conditioning unit during the hottest times of the day when its performance is degraded and energy consumption is at its highest, the Ice Bear® product keeps you comfortable with a system cooled by ice. It provides full cooling performance independent of the outside temperature using only 300 watts of energy.RightTemp™ is an advanced, highly efficient, patented technology for providing cold liquid refrigerant to the evaporator coil/blower system in your home or business in a way unlike conventional products. The result is improved air conditioned comfort and system reliability.
The addition of an Ice Bear®
system also improves overall system reliability
by reducing the on/off cycling of the air conditioner compressor by an estimated factor of 30 times.

Grant

Registered
I`m not sure what they mean by "cooled by ice"... literally, or just figuratively? They don`t really describe it too well. It sounds more just like a fancy name for a refrigerator for your home instead of your food.

I`m taking a chemical engineering class right now at the U of A and it`s amazing how easy it is to use simple technologies to recycle waste heat or conserve energy, yet we seem to miss out on these opportunities.

The hot water idea definitely sounds more practical, at least in Canada where we only have to deal with air conditioning a couple months of the year (if we`re lucky
style_emoticons
).

Over the years, I expect to see more and more "green" technologies come out as people become aware of energy costs and the environment, and they`ll only go down in price over time. That`s good news all around, and it only makes sense!

timk519

Registered
QUOTE (Grant @ Nov 7 2007, 02:28 AM) I`m not sure what they mean by "cooled by ice"... literally, or just figuratively? They don`t really describe it too well. It sounds more just like a fancy name for a refrigerator for your home instead of your food. Ditto - the only thing I can think this product would do is cool a resevoir of some kind of liquid at night when it`s the coolest, and use that liquid to provide the cooling.

another idea I`ve heard about is to drill a well, and use the well-water as a cooling/heating source w/a heat pump.

BMironov

Registered
QUOTE (Grant @ Nov 7 2007, 01:28 AM) I`m not sure what they mean by "cooled by ice"... literally, or just figuratively? They don`t really describe it too well. It sounds more just like a fancy name for a refrigerator for your home instead of your food.

I`m taking a chemical engineering class right now at the U of A and it`s amazing how easy it is to use simple technologies to recycle waste heat or conserve energy, yet we seem to miss out on these opportunities.

The hot water idea definitely sounds more practical, at least in Canada where we only have to deal with air conditioning a couple months of the year (if we`re lucky
style_emoticons
).

Over the years, I expect to see more and more "green" technologies come out as people become aware of energy costs and the environment, and they`ll only go down in price over time. That`s good news all around, and it only makes sense!

Hi Grant,

Yes, their idea is to freeze tank of water into ice during the night and use its cold to cool the house during the day. They want to use off-peak hours electricity instead of day-time. It makes sense from utility bill point of view. Do not forget about global warming that brings more hot days in summer. Last year I was almost ready to cut the grass on Christmas in Toronto because it was too "bushy".
style_emoticons
But I said to myself that sound of lawn mower on Christmas season is not appropriate for the season even though it is electrical one. Few day later we`ve got first snow that stayed with us for few weeks.

Boris

Grant

Registered
Okay, I see what the idea is now.

Using well water to heat or cool can work, but it is actually possible to use a heat pump simply using the temperature of the earth. Below all the dirt, the temperature is higher than the air above (if you`re in a cold place), so that difference in temperature is enough to heat your home with. Water stores more heat than dirt does, though, so I can see why you`d want to use water if it was available.

BMironov

Registered
QUOTE (Grant @ Nov 7 2007, 07:17 PM) Okay, I see what the idea is now.
Using well water to heat or cool can work, but it is actually possible to use a heat pump simply using the temperature of the earth. Below all the dirt, the temperature is higher than the air above (if you`re in a cold place), so that difference in temperature is enough to heat your home with. Water stores more heat than dirt does, though, so I can see why you`d want to use water if it was available.

Hi Grant,
Just found an article about another piece of technology that is available in Canada and is going through testing by Natural Resources Canada:

Toronto Star:
Electricity: will it be a gas killer?
(Feb 11, 2008)
http://www.thestar.com/columnists/article/302300

QUOTE "Unfortunately, they`re [heat pumps] still just being developed primarily as air conditioners with a major deficiency in heating," says Hallowell.

It`s why they`ve never taken off in Canada. Once temperatures drop below freezing, a conventional air-source heat pump is useless.

Hallowell saw the neglect, so he went ahead and engineered a better air-source heat pump – one that operates during the summer like an Energy Star central air conditioner but in the winter handles all of a home`s heating needs. "Are we as efficient as geothermal?" asks Hallowell. "Well, we`re close."

Natural Resources Canada is now testing the Acadia system. I consulted an energy consultant who is also testing it for the Manitoba energy ministry. He didn`t want to be named, but had good things to say.

"They`re the real deal. Technically, there`s no massive, innovative, wizardry here. Just compressors and booster coils and good control systems. Very well done."
Hallowell`s Canadian distributor, MITS Air Conditioning Inc. of Mississauga, says it costs $14,000 to $16,000 to purchase and install an Acadia system, compared to about $11,000 for a high-end air conditioner and gas furnace.

Unlike geothermal, there`s no ripping up of grass. No drilling. "If it does break it`s easy to fix because there`s nothing underground," says Jim Chaters at MITS.

Web sites:
MITS: http://www.mitsair.com/
Hallowell: http://www.gotohallowell.com/

Top Bottom