Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Greening Your Properties

kablett

REIN Member
Hello fellow REIN members,my name is Kevin Ablett. I`ve been an investor for over 5 years now with a healthy, growing portfolio of properties. Along with investing, the environment has been a passion of mine for most of my life. I`m currently sitting as the President of the Board of Directors for the Clean Calgary Association (www.cleancalgary.org), an environmental non-profit in Calgary. As an active environmentalist and investor, I thought I`d use this forum to create a space where other like-minded members can share their knowledge around issues related to "sustainable real estate investing".The first thing I`ll talk about in this thread is a product that EVERY investor would benefit from right now: It`s called Eco-Coat. Eco-Coat is a paint product made from recycled paint. Have you ever wondered where all that paint goes after it gets dropped off at the firehall? Well, A Calgary Company called Calibre Environmental has teamed up with a master painter to develop a process for sorting, filtering, pigmenting, and stabilizing old paint into a wide pallette of new, fresh colours.
Why is this important to you as an investor?

I`ll give you 4 reasons, each of which represent a significant ROI opportunity for your growing business:

Reason #1: You Pay Less For The Paint.
At the Clean Calgary EcoStore (809 4th Ave SW) we sell 10 litre pails in the $25-$35 range (depending on the colour) and 18.9 litre pails for $50-$60. Those same 18.9 litre pails START at $125 or more at Home Depot, Rona, and other competitors. This alone represents over a 50% cost savings TODAY. If you`re like me and you`re constantly going from one reno project to the next, buying paint on a regular basis, this is a no-brainer!

Reason #2: You Save In Labour Costs.
Older paint has a tendency to be a little thicker. As a result, it covers extremely well. The result is that many walls can be painted in one coat, rather than two or two coats rather than three. This has an immediate effect on your bottom line. The same painter could complete the job 30-50% faster, and save you money in terms of less hours billed, or paint 30%-50% more properties for you in the same amount of time, thereby improving your renovation turn around times. Either way, this is a significant improvement to your cost/efficiency base.

Reason #3: You Save Paint.
When the paint covers better, you use less of it to achieve the same result. Therefore, you not only pay less for the paint itself, but use less of it, and therefore pay less by not needing as much. In green lingo, this is referred to as "Demand Side Management" and is an integral aspect of green investing. If you use less, you profit more.

Reason #4: You Are Doing Something Good For The Planet.
Previously, this paint would have gone un-used, been sent to landfills, and added to our already burdensome waste streams. With Eco-Coat, you truly receive a healthy ROI for helping to create a healthier planet.

Now that`s what I call "Sustainable Real Estate Investing"

Please feel free to post your thoughts and ideas around other ways to green your properties while putting more green in your jeans!

For more information on Eco Coat and other eco-friendly products for your properties, visit http://www.cleancalgary.org

Happy Green Investing,

Kevin.

Maximillion

Registered
Can you tell me if this is available in Ontario or how difficult it would be to order it for people in Ontario.

Vivian Clement

kablett

REIN Member
Hi Vivian,

Renee is the store manager. She can be reached at 403.230.1443 and would be the best person to talk to about that. I`m not sure if it`s currently available in Ontario, but perhaps we can ship it out to you!

Thanks,

Kevin.

marcp

Registered
This sounds like a neat idea. I`ll try anything once!

What is the "sheen" finish on this paint?

Is it easily washable, like semi-gloss?

Is it mildew resistant at all (like Kitchen/Bathroom paint)?
Cheers,
marc.

L

lanedry77

QUOTE (marcp @ Oct 11 2007, 01:55 PM)
What is the "sheen" finish on this paint?

Is it easily washable, like semi-gloss?

Is it mildew resistant at all (like Kitchen/Bathroom paint)?

Hi Marc,

Snipped from their website;

ecocoat paint has an eggshell finish with the washable and scrubbable qualities of a semi-gloss paint and can be applied to a variety of substrates (including wood, drywall, concrete, block, or stucco) both inside and out, either as a primer and/or final coat.

David.

kablett

REIN Member
QUOTE (Maximillion @ Oct 11 2007, 12:48 PM)
Can you tell me if this is available in Ontario or how difficult it would be to order it for people in Ontario.

Vivian Clement

Hi Vivian,

I spoke to Renee and she confirmed that the paint is not currently available in Ontario, but that she would be willing to arrange to ship it out to you. However, we're not sure as to what the cost would work out to, seeing as paint is liquid and rather heavy. It's worth a shot though if you're interested! Even if it works out to costing the same, it would still equate to a net benefit because of the labour saved and positive environmental benefit.

Kevin.

FayWong

Registered
QUOTE (kablett @ Oct 11 2007, 12:27 PM)
The first thing I'll talk about in this thread is a product that EVERY investor would benefit from right now: It's called Eco-Coat. Eco-Coat is a paint product made from recycled paint. Have you ever wondered where all that paint goes after it gets dropped off at the firehall? Well, A Calgary Company called Calibre Environmental has teamed up with a master painter to develop a process for sorting, filtering, pigmenting, and stabilizing old paint into a wide pallette of new, fresh colours.
This sounds good, I am wondering about the quality of the paint. If it is using recycled paints would several qualities be mixed together? or is it sorted by quality? How can one paint can be used as both a primer or final finish? Or do they mean they have both primers and final finishes? I am interested in trying it.

kablett

REIN Member
Hi Fay,
i have found the paint to be of good quality. It looks good, covers well, and I suspect this is why they say to use it as a primer or finishing coat, because it is cheaper than primer, so use it as a primer, but also good to use for finishing because it does look good. Hope this helps.

Kevin.

Top Bottom