Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Handing 14 day notice of breach to tenant questions

Nicholas5191

New Forum Member
Registered
Hi everyone,

I have a question regarding handing the 14 day notice. I have a suited home and the back door opens into the common space for both the main suite and basement suite.

Since the door was opened upstairs by a minor living in the suite, the notice was given to the minor (son of the family upstairs) when my agent (brother) was knocking on the back entrance to the upstairs suite.

Is there any problem with giving the notice to a minor who is living on the premises if the parents aren't there when the notice is being given? I could not find information in the Act that would prohibit it. Am I correct? As well, is there a problem with intending to post it on the back door instead of the front door when both doors access the same suite?

I have the tenant now telling me that she was advised that this was performed incorrectly. Any advice is appreciated, thanks.

Matt Crowley

REIN Member
Just provide notice to the adult when they are home. Whether legal or not, passing an eviction notice through a child is not a great way to win points at court if it comes to that.

Sherilynn

Real Estate Maven
REIN Member
In Alberta, you may only serve on an adult believed to reside in the premises.

To post the notice, you post to the main door to the suite rather than the main door to the building.

Sent from my SM-G950W using myREINspace mobile app

Top Bottom