Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

High Speed Rail Calgary to Edmonton

MikeMcCrae

Registered
The sooner the better. It will come someday and it is not going to get cheaper. I would just hope that the Province builds it and it is not done as a P3. Renting infrastructure makes no sense to me. I prefer the debt because someday it will go away. Rent payments never do. Should we own or be the tenants?

JimWhitelaw

Registered
The province should lease the land to private enterprise to build and operate the system. That way the taxpayers get to be landlords, not tenants and the business can run like a business. Asking for the govt to run a service business is asking for inefficiency, waste and an unfair tax burden on non-users of the service. The capacity of a government to fail at operating a profitable business is almost infinite.

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
QUOTE (mcgregok @ Jul 7 2009, 10:38 AM) ... could start construction within 5 years. ..
or maybe never !

A great idea worth doing .. great stimulus for the economy, great show casing "low carbon emmissions" for Alberta and a world class tourist attraction .. especially if mag lev and not conventional rail based !!

GarthChapman

Registered
QUOTE (thomasbeyer2000 @ Jul 7 2009, 06:17 PM) or maybe never !

A great idea worth doing .. great stimulus for the economy, great show casing "low carbon emmissions" for Alberta and a world class tourist attraction .. especially if mag lev and not conventional rail based !!

Mag Lev?? Thomas, you know we`re not in Europe! Our politicians will never spend the money to go all the way when going part way might get them re-elected. Be bold? Not here. We always take the safe route in Canada.

Seriously... this needs to happen, and properly and soon. Your point on low carbon emissions would be huge for our profile around the world.

EdRenkema

Registered
QUOTE (GarthChapman @ Jul 7 2009, 06:28 PM) Mag Lev?? Thomas, you know we`re not in Europe! Our politicians will never spend the money to go all the way when going part way might get them re-elected. Be bold? Not here. We always take the safe route in Canada.

Seriously... this needs to happen, and properly and soon. Your point on low carbon emissions would be huge for our profile around the world.

Remember, I`m just a simple country boy....

What the heck is Mag Lev????

ChrisDavies

Registered
QUOTE (EdRenkema @ Jul 7 2009, 07:26 PM) Remember, I`m just a simple country boy....

It`ll do 500 km/h, and that`s the important part. The train floats in mid air, held up by magnets. Just like if you put two north poles together, they repel each other. Then they use more magnets to throw the train down the tracks.

Almost zero friction....almost insane speeds.

kanabel

Registered
QUOTE (EdRenkema @ Jul 7 2009, 08:26 PM) Remember, I`m just a simple country boy....

I guess shortcut of Mag-netic Lev-itation. I believe France started first in Europe.

Savard

Registered
Not sure why we need train that will only benefit Edmonton ... ha ha
This reminds me of a Simpson`s episode when Springfield built their own train.

RedlineBrett

Registered
QUOTE (ChrisDavies @ Jul 8 2009, 04:58 PM) ROFL! That`s the best thing ever!

lololol!

EdRenkema

Registered
QUOTE (ChrisDavies @ Jul 8 2009, 03:58 PM) ROFL! That`s the best thing ever!

This time I went straight to google to learn what ROFL is....

I`ve led a very sheltered life

C

CorinneWestcott

Glad I`m not the only one Ed! I did the exact same thing with ROFL. I learned a new one! (I had to explain it to Russell as well)

Corinne

Top Bottom