Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

How to Back-up and Restore your REMA data file

GarthChapman

Registered
It is VERY IMPORTANT to always have a current backup of your data file. The best place to locate that backup file is anywhere BUT on your computer that you run REMA on. This is because if that computer has a catastrophic failure your backup is also likely gone! Backup location suggestions are, another PC on your network, a CD, a portable USB drive (aka `thumb` drive or memory stick), or an external hard drive.

To create the backup simply go to Toolkit and click on Back Up My Database. A window will open allowing you to select the location of the backup, and also to name it. The default name is RemaBackup.mdb. I like to include the date of the backup in mine. That allows me to have `restore points` within my REMA data that I can revert to down the road. In other words I could go back to a backup data file I had a month ago if I wanted to revert to that for any reason. NOTE- all REMA data files use the filename extension .mdb - so if you rename your backup data file make sure that extension remains at the end of your new file name.

To revert your backup data file to become your live data file you will need to manually over-write your data file, which is named Rema.mdb. You can see where your Rema.mdb file is located via Help/About. It is referred to as the `Open Database Name`. You can also find it via Toolkit/View Database Location.

Just re-name the backup file to rema.mdb and then drag it to that location and you`re done!
I like to include the date of the backup in mine. That allows me to have `restore points` within my REMA data that I can revert to down the road. In other words I could go back to a backup data file I had a month ago if I wanted to revert to that for any reason.
NOTE- all REMA data files use the filename extension .mdb - so if you rename your backup data file make sure that extension remains at the end of your new file name.

You don`t have to remember to manually back-up your file, as Windows has a feature to automate & schedule this for you, called `Scheduled Tasks`. Go to Start / All Programs / Accessories / System Tools / Scheduled Tasks. Then add a new Scheduled Task and a Windows Wizard will start and take you through the process. You can choose which files and folders to back-up via this feature, and on what repeating schedule you want it to happen.
Using Restore Points

This was provided to us by a quick-thinking REMA User. "Last week I made several entries in REMA and later realized that they were all wrong! I couldn`t remember them all, and even if I could have, there were many entries that I would have to re-do. Fortunately, I recognized my mistake quickly and so I used the Windows `system restore feature`. I restored my computer back to the nearest time in the past that was available to me.

I`m glad to report that my REMA is doing fine and resting comfortably and I was able to restore everything as it previously was.

I thought that this could prove useful to anyone else who makes an error like this. The key is to do the system restore as soon as you realize your error and you must make sure that system restore won`t screw up any other changes in other programs that you made since the last system restore save date."

Windows creates a new restore point every time you shut down your computer.

Top Bottom