Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

I Want To Quit My Job

Trizzy

Registered
[quote user=Rickson9]

It isn't necessarily flattering that an individual's overwhelming desire is to use a hamster wheel to drop more pellets out of a dispenser.

Personally I love "doing nothing". It's underrated.

Best regards.

Doing nothing or doing something is largely irrelevant. It is the freedom to choose that most people crave if they sit and think about what really motivates them. Different people just chose to express that desire in a different manner.

Mike

Both comments are well said!

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
[quote user=nubiwan]Better to have tried and failed than to have never tried at all

Indeed .. Indeed !!

But please: with your OWN money first a few times .. before you ask others to join you in a JV to grow !!

invst4profit

Registered
[quote user=nubiwan]Two quotes I like:

Better to have tried and failed than to have never tried at all..... some education, planning and preparation is still warranted.

Better to die on your feet than live on your knees..... Dramatic perhaps! But in a lighter sense - be your own boss.

In this business you need to modify those quotes to reflect a more aggressive business attitude:

Better to have learned from some one else that has tried and failed than doing so yourself.

Better to command an army than be cannon fodder on the front line. (Dramatic perhaps! But in a lighter sense - be someone else's boss.)

nubiwan

Registered
1) Educate youself before you dive into the business. Read appropriate books. Be inspired, and make sure you really do not like your regular work. If you like your day job, then why quit?

Is there anyone out there that has actually used mentors to get started, wthout paying a great deal of money for the honour? I have my doubts. Ultimately, it will be your own cash you put on the line, so make sure the numbers work before you even make the offer(s).

2) Well said, but initially, you'll likely be your own boss. Learning the entire business from finding the deals, thru crunching the number, making offers, rehabbing, permits, builders, tenants, lawyers, accountants. to putting on the sale signs.

Truly is a rewarding job when you realize how little it seems like work when you make a living at it.

housingrental

Registered
Yes

Many people

Why do you have doubts on this?

[quote user=nubiwan]

Is there anyone out there that has actually used mentors to get started, wthout paying a great deal of money for the honour? I have my doubts.

nubiwan

Registered
Well, I wish I could have had one. I guess my thoughts on it are as follows. Who really wants to help a guy starting out unless they are one of the following;

1) Family

2) A pretty decent friend

3) Someone willing to pay cash

I guess I am insulated here in a relactively small community where there is no REIN community to speak of, and I am guessing many of my competitors are either too busy to bother with mentoring, or never get near a computer to post on these types of forums.

For me at least, mentors are difficult to find, and when you do, too busy doing what they already do. Like me now at 8 30AM. Got to go to work.

wgraham

REIN Member
Nubiwan you have some limiting beliefs that are holding you back! Mentors are abound but the teacher will only appear when the student is ready!

There are many many mentors on this site for example (no this is not a plug for my services but you are welcome to inquire:) )

Here is what I have found:

Friends and family make crappy mentors....they are too close to you and wont often tell you what you really need to hear and honestly they don't usually have the experience to take you to the next level (you are the average of the 5 closest people to you).

You get what you pay for! Yes some mentors will donate their time to you but there is little to no accountability. It never hurts to take someone for coffee and "pick their brain" if they will let you. But my best mentors have come in the form of very structured and highly compensated council. Coaches that have been there done that and have a gift for bringing out the best in people. I like the ones that don't sugar coat things because that is the way I am but you may be different.

Good luck in your search!!

nubiwan

Registered
hmmm nothing limiting or holding me back as I probably put in about 5 - 6 months work a year and spend a great deal of time with my wife and kids, making a 6 figure income.

I am not discounting the value of a mentor, if you manage to find one, or indeed, some excellent contributors to this forum. Ultimately, you are the one that makes the offer, puts up the cash and accepts the risk.

Before I ever bought an investment property, I spent 2-3 years reading books and attending REI forums like this one. But never took action. I've even asked the mentorship question myself only to realize that I was doing so out of fear of failure and never really wanted to take the chance on my own.

While having a positive mentor can only help you, don't let not finding one be another excuse not to get started.

I trully find it hard to belive that so many people have time to frequent forums, or be mentors, if they have their own REI business to manage. If I spent my time trying to find a local REI mentor, then I'd still be looking.

1 AM off to bed and work early in the AM.

GaryW

Registered
[quote user=nubiwan] hmmm nothing limiting or holding me back as I probably put in about 5 - 6 months work a year and spend a great deal of time with my wife and kids, making a 6 figure income.

I have spent the money on a mentor for a whole year and couldn't have picked a better investment. This is the kind of cashflow that people who live in the "money now" mode cannot see. My ROI has been through the roof with knowledge and I can now really see why people actually pay for information.

Course.......................$25000.00

Mentoring for a year...$10000.00

Marketing costs..........$800.00/month

My 1st deal................More than this!

Off course , I could've bought a truck instead and looked really good on the highway!

Gary

jenny12

Registered
Hello Friends.........

I work in a retail venue that is open 24/7
and needs people to work all shifts, including non-traditional
"mid-shifts" such as 10am-6pm, noon-8pm, 5pm-1am, etc. This has been
ideal for parents and students (I am both) who need to work around
children and class schedules. I have been here for 14 years and really
like my job.

Two years ago this company eliminated my career path. This past March
they gave notice that my entire departnment would be eliminated next
March (2008). I have been carefully saving money and planning my classes
so I could quit at that time.

The latest new rule forces me out now. They will accept no more
requests for schedules. If you say you can work a certain day, they will
schedule you whenever they need you and will not work around classes or
anything else.If you need anypart of any day off, you must request the
entire day off. So I have gone from a 35 hour workweek to a 16 hour one.
I cannot live on 16 hours per week so I have no choice but to leave
this job.

I do have plans for leaving. Savings, college classses, etc. The
plans aren't entirely complete yet because I was planning to stay for 6
more months. But 6 more months at half salary or less won't get me any
closer to my goals.

I have vacation approved for mid August. I will be gone for 2 weeks. I
would like to give my 2 week notice the day before I leave and then
just not return after my vacation. What I want to know is if this is
proper timing? I want to do it this way because I do not want the one
office gossip person (every workplace has that "one"!) to find out about
this until I am gone.

Thanks

bizaro86

Registered
[quote user=GJWCA] I have spent the money on a mentor for a whole year and couldn't have picked a better investment

How do you know it was a good investment if you haven't taken any action based on the information yet? It's pretty hard to judge whether an investment was good until the return has come in. In my mind, you may have made a good investment, but you won't know that for sure until you have at least your 35-40k back, plus a return on the money, plus a return on the time you put into it.

Regards,

Michael

nubiwan

Registered
[quote user=GJWCA][quote user=nubiwan] hmmm nothing limiting or holding me back as I probably put in about 5 - 6 months work a year and spend a great deal of time with my wife and kids, making a 6 figure income.

I have spent the money on a mentor for a whole year and couldn't have picked a better investment. This is the kind of cashflow that people who live in the "money now" mode cannot see. My ROI has been through the roof with knowledge and I can now really see why people actually pay for information.

Course.......................$25000.00

Mentoring for a year...$10000.00

Marketing costs..........$800.00/month

My 1st deal................More than this!

Off course , I could've bought a truck instead and looked really good on the highway!

Gary

Good for you. Is Donald Trump your mentor?

If I had to advise a new investor on what to do with his first $35,000 in cash it would not be to go spend $25K on a course or $10K on a mentor.

I fancy that is where the original request was directed.

Trizzy

Registered
I think i'm sided towards nubiwan's point. Knowledge is power, and for that you are well equipped to be successful. However, knowledge these days is often free and widely available. Is a $25k course really going to teach you anymore than a $25-50 book? Maybe. Am I willing to spend $25k to find out? Probably not.

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
[quote user=Trizzy]Is a $25k course really going to teach you anymore than a $25-50 book?

yes it does.

Otherwise, no universities could exist today !!

You do learn more from a professor that actually knows his subject in 10 1.5 hour lectures than reading 3 or 4 of his books.

What does a good university education cost ? maybe $30,000 all in ? Could you also read 35 books for $2000 and learn the same: yes in theory .. no in the real world !

Is 4 years of REIN worth abut $10K .. you bet .. if you are serious in buying multiple pieces of real estate. If all you look for is edutainment TV shows like Holmes on Homes or 'Income Property" or "Flip that house" on the Home&Garden channel are probably better !

You must try a few different systems: books, CDs, TV shows, seminars, monthly programs .. they all have their place and some work better for some than others !

If I add all the mistakes I made in my $100M+ real estate career thus far I'd easily would have saved $1M or more .. and a mentor at my side for maybe 5% of that could have probably avoided 50% of those mistakes !

having said that .. there are quite a few education scams out there .. so there is no need to spend 10K or 25K on a course + mentor at the beginning .. especially if you have less than 50K overall to invest ! But it is probably appropriate mid-way, or 3 to 5 years in !!

MarkHealy

Registered
Here are just a couple of facts on mentors and courses

I noticed one year that the top 10 (player) award for Southern Alberta at least 3 were in Les Hewitt's Power of Focus training.

I've worked with Les, he questioned an investment (non real estate) I was getting into asking "Are you really sure this is a good idea, have you thought it through? Is there an emotional component to this?

I ignored his advise. Last year the capital write off was 1M+.

I love to read books but I have never had to defend my position and actions with one. And books still don't question me as well as a good mentor

Mark

nubiwan

Registered
[quote user=MarkHealy] Here are just a couple of facts on mentors and courses

I noticed one year that the top 10 (player) award for Southern Alberta at least 3 were in Les Hewitt's Power of Focus training.

I've worked with Les, he questioned an investment (non real estate) I was getting into asking "Are you really sure this is a good idea, have you thought it through? Is there an emotional component to this?

I ignored his advise. Last year the capital write off was 1M+.

I love to read books but I have never had to defend my position and actions with one. And books still don't question me as well as a good mentor

Mark

I fancy the original mentor request on this thread is from someone whose risk threshold is well below a million dollars, and is merely a person asking for help on getting started in this business. I could be wrong. It has been known to happen :) .

I am not deriding the benefits of a good mentor you can trust, but suggest that you do not get all hung up if you cannot find one at the expense of not starting out. I have never been able to find many like minded RE investors in my town, let alone a mentor willing to question my next move.

You can get valuable information from this forum and plenty of books on the subject matter can guide you in the process. I am doing O.K. "sans mentor"

Suggest people don't take 2-3 years mulling the process over as I did simply to take their first step towards becoming an investor.

Another good saying I like:

"5hit or get off the pot"

nubiwan

Registered
[quote user=ThomasBeyer]

. . .

Having said that .. there are quite a few education scams out there .. so there is no need to spend 10K or 25K on a course + mentor at the beginning .. especially if you have less than 50K overall to invest ! But it is probably appropriate mid-way, or 3 to 5 years in !!

Sound advice

MichaelReimneitz

Registered
Firstly everyone has made some great points about mentorship and the power of creating a strong why. We can all agree there is no black and white answer for everyone.

Back to Wade`s originally post you need to have a strong why. Why do you need to have a mentor?

Frankly if you believe you don`t need a mentor, than you don`t. However if you believe a mentor will help you achieve success a lot quicker than you normally would have on your own than don`t you think it`s a good investment?

If you`re the type of person that doesn`t take action regardless of a mentor or educational membership than a mentor is probably not good for you. Go find something that you love to do, and do it well.

However if you`re the type of person that soaks up as much information as humanly possible from whoever you can, takes notes reviews them regularly studies, and wants to be the best in class and you never let anyone take you off your square regardless of your situation, than a mentorship may be your best investment.

Why when Tiger Woods was dominating the PGA tour and winning by 10-15 strokes he still wanted to get better and improve?

Why did he have a Swing Coach, Sports Psychologist, Putting coach, Short game coach, when he was crushing the field by 10-15 strokes and Ranked #1 in the world by a long shot? Why was he still talking about getting better when nobody was even close?

Why does Neopleon Hill talk about being coached by Andrew Carnegie in this video? It`s your choice and if you believe a mentor will bring your game to the next level than by all means hire a mentor. Worked for guys like Neopleon Hill and Tiger Woods.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqRbJ4R9C4o&feature=player_embedded

Hill mentions Carnegies greatest gift being the greatest gift to mankind``The exact same philosophy REIN teaches and Don Campbell teaches through the ACRE program, I.E Your Personal Belize. I can honestly say Don and fellow REIN members have truly been an inspiration.

The point I`m trying to make here is that nobody on this forum nobody was an expert or even sophisticated when they started to invest. Everyone had to start from somewhere and learn from someone now you can learn from your own mistakes or by books whatever works for you. As an educator and Teacher myself I can honestly say that not everyone learns the same way and I see this on a daily basis.

I can read 25 Books about surfing and head down to the beach to hit some killer waves, Do you think I`m going to fall off my board the first time I get out there? The answer is YES. The same principal applies to business, sports, realestate I don`t care what it is, in order to become an expert you need to take action and learn.

I`m purchasing properties in the $3-4 hundred thousand dollar range and I feel I`m mitigating my risk by learning from mistakes from other people who have come before me. I.E A great mentor. I personally realize that if I want to be the best in class than I don`t see the money going out of my pocket to be a liability I see it as an asset. Yes there is a ton of free advice out there, but eventually you will learn the value of giving back to the same people who helped you along the way.

bizaro86

Registered
[quote user=ThomasBeyer]Otherwise, no universities could exist today !!

There's a pretty big difference in the external recognition of the credentials from a university versus a real estate "mentor" program.

bizaro86

Registered
[quote user=MichaelReimneitz]However if you`re the type of person that soaks up as much information as humanly possible from whoever you can, takes notes reviews them regularly studies, and wants to be the best in class and you never let anyone take you off your square regardless of your situation, than a mentorship may be your best investment.

I would argue that's who mostly doesn't need a mentor. I was VERY academically successful throughout life, and those skills allowed me to learn real estate skills. But ultimately it's what you DO, not what you KNOW that makes the difference.

I think many mentees are the type who know a lot but can't bring themselves to take action. I guess if you're someone that needs a $25,000 kick in the butt to get going and stop being paralyzed by analysis-paralysis...

Regards,

Michael

Top Bottom