Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Insurance company insisting on (unnecessary) sump pump installation

Nicola

Registered
We had a sewer backup (tree roots) in a house in Edmonton last year, which was covered by insurance. Since then we had a backwater preventer installed, but the insurance company is insisting they won't cover sewer backup any more, unless we also install a sump pump. I provided them with a lengthy email from the plumber saying that a sump pump was not necessary, and was unrelated to the sewer backup. They didn't accept it.

Do I have any recourse over this, or do I just have to cross my fingers and hope it doesn't happy again?

*I am a non-resident investor, and it is EXTREMELY difficult to find an insurer, so suggesting a different company is likely not an option.

alaas1977

Frequent Forum Member
Registered
SMI - they've been good up until this...
Hello Nicola

I'm with SMI also, they are getting tighter on sewer back up coverage, you may want to ask what the premium will be and what the coverage amount will be. Many are capping the coverage at $10,000 and some and $50,000. If they are at $10,000 then the premium may not be worth it when you include the deductible.

Lisa

Nicola

Registered
Hello Nicola

I'm with SMI also, they are getting tighter on sewer back up coverage, you may want to ask what the premium will be and what the coverage amount will be. Many are capping the coverage at $10,000 and some and $50,000. If they are at $10,000 then the premium may not be worth it when you include the deductible.

Lisa
Yes, SMI has capped it, but we're still at $50,000.

Top Bottom