Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Insurance costs when you put 20% down?

loewencc

Registered
wondering if there is still an insurance fee when you put 20% down on a rental property?
I always thought you avoid those fees when you put the 25% and now 20% down initially.
But my broker is telling me there is still an amount... less than high ratio, but still a fee because it is a revenue property.
any feedback would be great!

PeterKinchMortgageTeam

Registered
QUOTE (loewencc @ Jul 28 2008, 11:50 AM) wondering if there is still an insurance fee when you put 20% down on a rental property?
I always thought you avoid those fees when you put the 25% and now 20% down initially.
But my broker is telling me there is still an amount... less than high ratio, but still a fee because it is a revenue property.
any feedback would be great!

If yours is a fully qualified deal, you should be able to get discounted rates without insurance. However, it depends on alot of factors including the property. If the lender is a little uncomfortable with the property for whatever reason, they may still be willing to lend but would want it insured. The simple fact that its a revenue property, would NOT require insurance!

There may be other reasons though. Feel free to drop me a note - I can get additional details from you and be able to get you a more definitive answer.

Hope that helps,

loewencc

Registered
This is what my broker just sent me when I asked for more clarification:

When you purchase a rental property, there is still an insurance fee on all loan amounts. The break down is as follows…

Up to 65% LTV 1.25%

65.01% - 75% 1.75%

75.01% - 80% 2.5% + 0.6% = 3.1%

80.01% - 85% 3.5%

85.01% - 90% 4.75%

***there is a 0.2% premium charge for every 5 years over and above 25 year amortization; therefore 40 year am = 0.6% added to the fee***

There is no way to avoid an insurance premium if you are purchasing a rental property. The 3 insurers of Canada (Genworth, CMHC or AIG) charge this insurance fee depending on the Lender that we submit to.

GarthChapman

Registered
Refer to Peter Kinch`s reply above "The simple fact that its a revenue property would NOT require insurance!"

Either the Lender has some concerns about the property itself or you as a borrower, or your Mortgage Broker is not fully conversant in this type of lending.

Get a 2nd opinion from an experienced Mortgage Broker.

PeterKinchMortgageTeam

Registered
QUOTE (GarthChapman @ Jul 28 2008, 12:33 PM) Refer to Peter Kinch`s reply above "The simple fact that its a revenue property would NOT require insurance!"

Either the Lender has some concerns about the property itself or you as a borrower, or your Mortgage Broker is not fully conversant in this type of lending.

Get a 2nd opinion from an experienced Mortgage Broker.

Thanks Garth. That`s correct. A fully qualified, straightforward application with 20% down DOES NOT require insurance. Talk to another broker who is more familiar with revenue property financing before committing to any financing with an insurance premium.

mortgageman

Registered
There are lenders who will require insurance even with 20 percent down IF you push the amortization beyond 25 years.
First National is one example

Top Bottom