Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Investment Club or scam?

Expatriate

Registered
A couple friends are getting involved with a real estate syndication group. I went to a presentation last week and now I`m doing some due diligence. I`m wondering if REIN members have any research on (or experience with) a company named Home Equity Investment Rewards (HEIR) http://www.heir.ca/ out of Ottawa, or the President, Archie Robertson.

This is an organization that invests in land development, apartments, resorts, etc., and is branching out into other business strategies. The major red flag is they are the kind of "educators" and "wealth building trainers" who probably have property to sell to their members. This is exactly what Don always stresses REIN is not about because of the inherent conflict of interest.

Any insight would be much appreciated.

Brian Simpson
Sherwood Park

NIZAROLA

Registered
another RED flag ... his background and experience... a pastor that decided to go into business three years ago...!

I believe that to be qualified to help people in investing you need few more years of experience under your belt, lets say 5-10 years.

my 2 cents!

RunDear

Registered
I recently joined HEIR after about 6 months of research and a couple of seminars. I couldn`t find much info on the web, but there were no red flags either. Word of mouth seems to be their best asset at this point because they are just 4 or 5 years old and privately owned. Some of the investments they recommend do have more history, however once again in the private sector which does not have a lot of public visibility (other than audit reports which some are willing to share).
They do not touch your money other than an initial membership fee which is a sizable chunk (5-6K), but it may be a reasonable price to pay for the investment opportunities and networking they offer, only time will tell. I`m cautiously optimistic it was a good move.
The "wealth coaches" are not quite as polished as one might expect, but they truely believe in what they are preaching. Funny that it`s a former pastor running the show, however he`s got some great contacts !
I have networked with a few of the members who are regular joe`s like me and I have yet to see or hear of any investments gone wrong or not up to original estimates, and I`ve been listening intently for any such rumblings. So far so good with my first investment, and I`m looking forward to the next opportunity.
There are a lot of different groups, concepts and programs out there, as I`ve seen over the last few years at different seminars. Most attendees are skeptics and understandably so, (I got burned for 5K on the Investor`s Advantage program - lost even more in the markets thanks to them) but it`s about risk and reward. This felt like the right fit, real people, (not polished salesmen) and the timing was right. If it doesn`t feel right, move on.
One last note - HEIR offers a free road map for most people who fit their investment profile (helps to own a home) - no harm having it done but do not be pressured into signing on without some thought first. If you are interested, make sure it fits your needs, have them tailor it to exactly what you want.
Happy investing !

GSI

REIN Member
QUOTE (RunDear @ Jan 21 2008, 01:24 PM) I recently joined HEIR after about 6 months of research and a couple of seminars. I couldn`t find much info on the web, but there were no red flags either. Word of mouth seems to be their best asset at this point because they are just 4 or 5 years old and privately owned. Some of the investments they recommend do have more history, however once again in the private sector which does not have a lot of public visibility (other than audit reports which some are willing to share).
They do not touch your money other than an initial membership fee which is a sizable chunk (5-6K), but it may be a reasonable price to pay for the investment opportunities and networking they offer, only time will tell. I`m cautiously optimistic it was a good move.
The "wealth coaches" are not quite as polished as one might expect, but they truely believe in what they are preaching. Funny that it`s a former pastor running the show, however he`s got some great contacts !
I have networked with a few of the members who are regular joe`s like me and I have yet to see or hear of any investments gone wrong or not up to original estimates, and I`ve been listening intently for any such rumblings. So far so good with my first investment, and I`m looking forward to the next opportunity.
There are a lot of different groups, concepts and programs out there, as I`ve seen over the last few years at different seminars. Most attendees are skeptics and understandably so, (I got burned for 5K on the Investor`s Advantage program - lost even more in the markets thanks to them) but it`s about risk and reward. This felt like the right fit, real people, (not polished salesmen) and the timing was right. If it doesn`t feel right, move on.
One last note - HEIR offers a free road map for most people who fit their investment profile (helps to own a home) - no harm having it done but do not be pressured into signing on without some thought first. If you are interested, make sure it fits your needs, have them tailor it to exactly what you want.
Happy investing !

Hello Brian,

Archie Robertson contacted me a few years back regarding investment partnerships that we (Glenn Simon Inc.) offered. He told me about his company and outlined his goals quite clearly. We corresponded for about a year putting ideas back and forth while he conducted his due-diligence on my company and I. I then met Archie in Edmonton where we viewed a couple of investment projects together.

Archie then decided that the best way for him to move forward towards our goal of being able to offer his clients sound investments, Archie and a few other HEIR associated would invest their own cash with me into a JV. So, from the standpoint of him asking the hard questions and checking people out- I can say he did that. Sadly, few folks invest their own cash into the products and services they offer.

I think HEIR shows people how to unlock cash from the equity in their homes and then matches them with outside investment groups that deal in the land, property other type of investments. The company that you put your cash into is the one where you want to really see a good track record and solid history.

And for the record... I`m not working with HEIR in a level where I offer any products or services to their clients, so this is my unbiased 2 cents. I haven`t invested with Archie or any of HEIR`s other affiliate companies but I know that two of the specific apartment and land syndication`s are very, very good. League- particularly has an excellent philosophy that is very similar to REINs.

In summary, my dealings with Archie and the HEIR team have been great. He`s a good JV partner and an interesting, positive guy to speak with. I feel he`s sincere in his quest to help folks be debt free and create generational wealth. But, like any investment, follow up with your own due diligence and make certain that everything ads up for you.

Kind regards,

Todd

PS: About Red Flags: I think here at REIN and out in the `real world` you`ll find many people with a variety of backgrounds being successful in Real Estate and helping others. Some of the most successful investors here don`t come from R.E. backgrounds or have the conventional skills associated with it. Track record, history and experience are essential- dig deeper to find the answers. Myopic viewpoints are the ones that raise the real `red flags`.

BHoward

Registered
Todd,Great post.
I just spent 10 minutes composing a message to this initial post from Brian (before reading yours) ... that was somehow deleted into cyper space.

I know one great women who works with HEIR. She`s ethical, smart ... and nice.

In December she told me a little about HEIR, and Archie`s mission ... which in my words ... was `to help ordinary Canadians create wealth ... to live a better life.`

I see no `red flags`.

However, I live with an ABUNDANCE mentality.
I have benefited greatly from listening to others - who like to help others. (Particularly Don Campbell, Darren Skofield, Greg Habstritt, Ron Prefontaine, Harv T. Eckler, Darren Weeks, Mike Ferry, Les Hewitt ...)

Bryon

QUOTE (GSI @ Jan 21 2008, 08:54 PM) Hello Brian,

Archie Robertson contacted me a few years back regarding investment partnerships that we (Glenn Simon Inc.) offered. He told me about his company and outlined his goals quite clearly. We corresponded for about a year putting ideas back and forth while he conducted his due-diligence on my company and I. I then met Archie in Edmonton where we viewed a couple of investment projects together.

Archie then decided that the best way for him to move forward towards our goal of being able to offer his clients sound investments, Archie and a few other HEIR associated would invest their own cash with me into a JV. So, from the standpoint of him asking the hard questions and checking people out- I can say he did that. Sadly, few folks invest their own cash into the products and services they offer.

I think HEIR shows people how to unlock cash from the equity in their homes and then matches them with outside investment groups that deal in the land, property other type of investments. The company that you put your cash into is the one where you want to really see a good track record and solid history.

And for the record... I`m not working with HEIR in a level where I offer any products or services to their clients, so this is my unbiased 2 cents. I haven`t invested with Archie or any of HEIR`s other affiliate companies but I know that two of the specific apartment and land syndication`s are very, very good. League- particularly has an excellent philosophy that is very similar to REINs.

In summary, my dealings with Archie and the HEIR team have been great. He`s a good JV partner and an interesting, positive guy to speak with. I feel he`s sincere in his quest to help folks be debt free and create generational wealth. But, like any investment, follow up with your own
due diligence and make certain that everything ads up for you.

Kind regards,

Todd

PS: About Red Flags: I think here at REIN and out in the `real world` you`ll find many people with a variety of backgrounds being successful in Real Estate and helping others. Some of the most successful investors here don`t come from R.E. backgrounds or have the conventional skills associated with it. Track record, history and experience are essential- dig deeper to find the answers. Myopic viewpoints are the ones that raise the real `red flags`.

sassygirl

Registered
Hi I was recently at a HEIR session and I also would appreciate any help too good to be true or not. Sassygirl

sassygirl

Registered
QUOTE (sassygirl @ May 16 2008, 02:20 PM) Hi I was recently at a HEIR session and I also would appreciate any help too good to be true or not. Sassygirl

Thank-you Christopher

ColinViens

Registered
Why do they charge such an outrageous fee, $5000 ? Then pay their member a finder`s fee of $2000 ? Seems awfully high to get a bit of generic "wealth coaching" from individuals who are hardly qualified. Seems to be pretty secretive, would like to know some real details of how their operation works !

Jack

Registered
QUOTE I think HEIR shows people how to unlock cash from the equity in their homes and then matches them with outside investment groups that deal in the land, property other type of investments. The company that you put your cash into is the one where you want to really see a good track record and solid history....in summary, my dealings with Archie and the HEIR team have been great. He`s a good JV partner and an interesting, positive guy to speak with. I feel he`s sincere in his quest to help folks be debt free and create generational wealth.

Is Mr. Robertson aware that "unlocking" the equity from their homes actually increases their debt load?

I`m sorry, but is it some grandiose secret that you can refinance your home? People don`t do it because they don`t know about it, they don`t do it because they want to be out of debt
. Refinancing your home keeps you in debt.

Gman2009

Registered
This group presented with Slingshot Developments at a home show in BC.

They have convinced my aunt to remortgage her paid off home , take out 130k and invest with them.

Promises of 10-20% returns etc...

I`m trying to talk my aunt out of this - Shes retiring this year and is pretty much debt free.

ScottL

Registered
I almost got involved with HEIR 2 years ago. I proceeded cautiously with their investment "representative", whom I found by answering a billboard ad on the side of Hwy # 2 in Lacombe. After answering a very detailed financial questionnaire I got on his email broadcast list and was at the point I was going to write the large cheque. I then got an email from HEIR advising me that this particular representative had been let go from the group. He had some questionable financial activity. I then received an email from someone on this broadcast list advising me of some potential wrong doing. It left a bad taste in my mouth. However, I am sure this individual does not represent the direction of the entire group. In short, it has to feel real right before writing that cheque.

ALSO, the REIN sophisticated investor binder allowed me to unlock all of the equity I needed to create wealth. The cheque for Quickstart and monthly membership was a lot less too....

It was interesting the HEIR philosphy and the due dilligence I did on League proved that they were a ver progressive company doing a great how. However, At the end of the day I concluded that I got into real estate because I wanted to be a hand`s on investor, went to REIN, learned how to do this and did not want to leave my fate in someone elses hands.

Scott

Top Bottom