Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Is condos too expensive to live in?

Dexbue

New Forum Member
Registered
Hey guys,
Here is the thing, I've been looking at houses for a while in my area, but all have failed to catch my attention. But one that didn't fail to catch my attention is newly built condos. Upon research, they are less expensive, have wonderful large windows (a special feature that caught my attention as a lot of the old homes in my area have little mouse windows), the floorplan layouts are awesome, that I can tell from the pictures! I care about the maintenance of a place, so wondering how much would be the maintenance cost of the condo. Is condo living so bad that I can hear my neighbors eat, breath, and watch TV, all through day and night? These are just some stuff that I heard! Is it true? I am looking forward to buying a new condo in North York. I'm speaking of real condos, not apartments being re-sold as "condos". I don't want to be bothered by neighbors or other kinds of stuff. Is condo living much expensive? Will they become a burden on us? Any thoughts or experience is appreciated. Thank you.

Rickson9

Registered
Maintenance of $0.6 to $0.8 per month per sq ft depending on amenities

Personally don’t like high floors because it takes too long to go up/down. Especially when a dozen ppl press buttons in-between during rush hours. Floors 5-9 perfect for me. Stairwell also an option if I need it, but not so much if on floor 28

Large unobstructed windows are a personal choice. Views vs higher heating/cooling bills. If large east/west facing windows get high quality blinds. Especially for crazy sunny days. Condo can heat up like an oven in the summer

Can’t hear my neighbours but depends on quality of builder/materials. Noise generally comes from being near street lights - stop and go traffic generates more noise compared to smooth traffic with no lights/stopping. Especially in Toronto where insecure drivers rev their engines and floor it during/after a stop light. After midnight

Last edited:

Alvaro Sanchez

Ottawa-Gatineau Investor
Registered
... I don't want to be bothered by neighbors or other kinds of stuff. .....

Your expectations are not realistic as you will be living in a building surrounded by people/pets/guest/etc. If you want peace and quite then look at condos that target elderly people or retirement places. Yet, you might have to knock on your neighbor;s door once in while to see if he is still alive.

Get a house with big acreage lot.

myles29

New Forum Member
It still depends on how well built the unit's walls are because in my case, I almost never hear my neighbors. I don't think you'll be able to hear them eat or breathe, but you'll probably do if they are screaming, playing loud music, or if there are stomping on the unit above you. These are the common noise issues you'll encounter but based on my experience, that rarely happens, so it shouldn't be that big of a problem. Also, one great thing about living in a condo is the amenities around the area. It's one of the things that I enjoy the most about living here. You can visit this page if you want to see the place I'm currently staying at.

Top Bottom