Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Latest Acquisition Update

JBagorio

Registered
Latest Acquisition Update

December 1, 2013

Slow but sure

From 10 doors in the span of 1 year around 2005 to 2006, since the downturn of late 2007 early 2008, things have slowed down dramatically for us in the acquisition phase. So far it`s been one property per year (adding 5 more doors) in the past 2 years depending on how much capital raised. We are pacing slow but sure indeed!

TOroR_oEiOENROILq887Owkn9l3hheiIXFCu5IYqDueAa9oHMKhJXe4HmWED6GDjWnGXKvdn9w_XshrrP6O2-cn1lg_zfRuCQ4LpoQO4fqaG3CW4hRg

What Works Today

Single unit properties no longer make the cut in the cash-flow zone unless we are willing to cough out hundreds of dollars out of pocket each month. To be able to grow a healthy and sustainable real estate portfolio, this is not the way to run the business. On the other hand, a building with 2 or more doors will surely look a lot better in the real estate playing field. For instance, in an up and down non conforming duplex scenario today, it can cost you around the $340,000 mark. This offsets today`s high rental income due to increasing demand from a non stop migration of workers in Alberta. Not including utilities, an upper floor unit can provide $1200 to $1800 depending on how many rooms, and $900 to $1000 for the lower or basement suite. This averages about $2450 of rental income each month. After all expenses, debt service and any rainy day replenishing fund set aside, there is plenty of net cash flow to go around.

Our Most Recent Purchase

Around the summer time, a beautiful corner lot by-level property was available on the market. After running the numbers, I dispatched it right away to my acquisition team for an immediate viewing. It is a large house with about 1700 square foot of living space in the main floor. The basement has two apartments with separate entrances, big egressing windows, and 2 bedrooms each. It is a wonderful setup. Based on the property inspection, there were some electrical and plumbing work needed to be done to keep the property up to code. Overall, the house was in good shape with just some small renovations to accommodate an even better setup for each of the units.

We wrote an offer $15,000 below asking price with a cover letter explaining where we stood. Conditions of sale were subject to financing and property inspection to be lifted after 10 days upon offer acceptance. We went back and forth with price negotiation. Based on the inspection uncovering more plumbing and electrical issues in the basement suites, our offer was accepted.

We worked with our banker for the financing of the 80% of the property. Four days left before our condition was lifted, we ran into an issue regarding a change of policy from the lender's side. We`re informed that my money partner needed to be in the mortgage and on title to be qualified. We got all requirements in place and got the financing approval on the last day our condition was due.

Here's What You Are Waiting For...

With this 3 unit complex, here`s how it looks in numbers:

iW0fdPADvUfiO0LFafaiuFvGxXv3vu9RveGRZSWi73k_C0CdtYtoke84bKbbOA81OFiW6mziuNv6Xx83UnRO4_ov2XQbl3kPrWFRSZsrRQuYcRmNHzItjMTk6w

NOI (Net Operating Income): $2,574

Debt Service: ($1,737)

Monthly Cash Return: $837

Cashflow Zone @ 9.36%

I you are having problem displaying the graph and table for the numbers...please view the full article by clicking here! (Via Google Drive) Thank you!

Sherilynn

Real Estate Maven
REIN Member
Well done! Rushing often results in mistakes, so I am a big fan of slow and steady.

JBagorio

Registered
Thanks Sherilynn!

It sure is very important for us to keep a steady pace and work the system to acquire properties that will contribute to help us attain our personal Belize.

All the best this new year!! :)

JBagorio

Registered
Thank you for the congratulations Joan!

I thought I would never see anything above 9% cashflow zone in a single residential property these days, but I was wrong indeed. There are still good buys out there! :)

Happy New Year to you!!!

DonCampbell

Investor, Analyst, Author, Philanthropist
Staff member
REIN Member
Hey Jason,

What a perfect pace! This is never a race, and in fact I have seen some people grow their portfolio too quickly for what they have on their plate in the rest of their life. So Congratulations for finding and keeping a pace that will lead you to great success.

See you soon!

Don

JBagorio

Registered
Hi Don,

It was nice to see you at the last YYC REIN Workshop. What a very cold stormy night that was last December, but you were right, it sure was worth all the trouble! There were lots of impactful tidbits for the brain to start the new year. I am definitely all pumped up to keep going with real estate in the years to come...Repositioning my self to ride the next swell.

Thank you so much for your word of inspiration and never ending inputs!

Jason

JBagorio

Registered
OK got the full article working in the blog!!! No need to click the link for the full version :)

invst4profit

Registered
Nice purchase, your expence estimates are slightly low but you should still see a positive cash flow of slightly above $100/door from the get go.

JBagorio

Registered
[quote user=invst4profit]... expence estimates are slightly low ... should still see a positive cash flow of slightly above $100/door from the get go.

Thanks Greg!

If you don't mind could you elaborate exactly where my expense values came short? I did not include accounting and utilities (tenant pays if not vacant).... but besides from the the vacancy allowance (5%), repair and maintenance (5%), and advertising, all these dollar values are the current actuals!?

I am away just curious what other have in mind... :)

invst4profit

Registered
It is extremely rare for expenses on a property to be as low as 30% of gross income as you have shown. Possible but very unlike long term.You don't mention the age of the property but I would assume your capitol and repair expenses will be higher. In addition you have left out some expenses including such items as evictions and legal.

Unless a property is kept short term 30% expenses are not realistic keeping in mind "currant actuals" do not address future expenses.

Still a good buy at a safer expense rate estimate of say 40% (some might say 50%) of gross keeping in mind one can never know their true expenses until a property has been sold..

JBagorio

Registered
[quote user=invst4profit]

.... keeping in mind "currant actuals" do not address future expenses. ... ....Still a good buy

..... keeping in mind one can never know their true expenses until a property has been sold..

Hi Greg,

I do agree with you in your overall assessment, but 50% rate for safety is too conservative for my taste! :)

The property is built in 2001 and it is in very good shape, that is why I only allocated 5% on my repairs and maintenance. I do want to point out that during the analysis phase that I was very conservative with my numbers including the expectation that my projected gross rent is at $600 less that what I am actually getting now. With that said, that should give me some buffer to weather the future fluctuations ... With that much less, I was still at the 8% in the cash-flow zone.

Nevertheless we both agree that it is indeed a good buy! :)

Thank you for your input!

Top Bottom