Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Locating prospects, tracking owners with Ugly houses

Vladimir

Registered
When you study Ron LeGrand`s ways to locate prospects, and tracking down the owner - he is talking about pulling the name and address from public records.

I have no idea what that is. Can anybody explain what it is and how to do this?

So far what I`ve done is I search by the address on websites like Canada 411 or whitepages. However, you won`t necessarily get result there, besides this might not be the right name.

I`d appreciate any thoughts and ideas.

JimWhitelaw

Registered
The way you do that is you search the land titles data. In Alberta, there is the SPIN2 web site (https://alta.registries.gov.ab.ca/spinii/logon.aspx). I`m not sure what options you have in BC. Ask a lawyer.

cmattric

REIN Member
Vladimir,
Tracking down the owners is a bit of art.
Situation changes from property to property.

But first two steps are the common ones.
1. You should know the address.
2. you must get the title with Spin 2 for $5(in Alberta)

Now from this point forward
You know the owner.
You have an address which is different than the property address. That`s good send a registered mail.
If the address is the same with the targeted property, follow one or all of the methods below.
411 yellowpages will give you results if the person has a landline registered at an address different than the targeted property. So if the guy has another property address "Bingo"

You probably know up to this point.

Another method is google his/her name. If you are lucky they use facebook. Send a message. I found a lady with this method.

Some people might not find this method ethical but what tha heck...
If there is any registered mortgage or anything on the property you can track down the person with the bank. But you should know somebody working at a branch of the bank. They can search the name and the current phone number. just don`t tell the person how you found the number, otherwise your buddy in the bank can get in trouble.

You can also send a registered mail to the targeted property addess. If they forward their addresses, they will receive the mail.

Another way is to hire an investigator. This will cost you $400-$600, and it is not guarenteed. Don`t spend your money with online instant people finder for $10-$20, they are full of ....

A senior quick turn guy suggested to stick "we buy homes" ad in the front lawn, just in case somebody comes to check out the property.

Last but not least you can talk to the neigbours, ask if they know the person, or how long the property is vacant. This will tell you the motivation of the owner or if they have a Costa Rica summer home. Give them your business card.

I almost forget, if you know a police officer or you happen to be one, they can find the person in a matter of seconds.

That`s my two cents.

Mehmet

QUOTE (Vladimir @ Mar 5 2010, 02:26 AM) When you study Ron LeGrand`s ways to locate prospects, and tracking down the owner - he is talking about pulling the name and address from public records.

I have no idea what that is. Can anybody explain what it is and how to do this?

So far what I`ve done is I search by the address on websites like Canada 411 or whitepages. However, you won`t necessarily get result there, besides this might not be the right name.

I`d appreciate any thoughts and ideas.

Vladimir

Registered
Thanks everyone for your responses. They make perfect sense. That`s what I was looking for.

So I guess you find the property (via ants or by yourself driving by), so you know the address and then you pull the title on each one of it?
Seems like abit of an expense (especially in BC). I`m not complaining as it can make thousands in the end, but is that what you gotta do?

JimWhitelaw

Registered
I know there's more than one way to skin a cat, but running an ant farm or calling fsbo's seems like a lot more effort and expense than getting highly motivated people to contact you. Every week I talk to people that are happy to hear from me and eager to sell. Of course not every lead is a "prospect", but it's sure a lot nicer than scraping and scrambling for info from folks who aren't that motivated.

See some information on my experience advertising online for leads:

http://myreinspace.com/rein_members_only/Canadian_Quick_Turn_Real_Estate/108-14211-Online_lead_generation_-_my_experience_so_far.html

Dan_Eisenhauer

Registered
A less expensive way to search title in BC is to use BCOnline It is, however, cumbersome, and not very user friendly, IMHO. (I forget their rates.)

HAving said that, you need to "deposit", I think it is, $100, which is charged to your credit card. When the $100 is used up, the card is charged automatically. It has been a while since I signed on, but you may be able to set a different amount before your card is charged.

TodorYordanov

Registered
Any idea how this is done in Ontario. i am looking to find the owner of a student rental. My lawyer can do a title search for $38. What would a title search give me?

Thanks,

housingrental

Registered
student rental - explain further
should give you ownership info
might be in name of company
then you have to do another search on company info

QUOTE (TodorYordanov @ Mar 6 2010, 05:53 PM) Any idea how this is done in Ontario. i am looking to find the owner of a student rental. My lawyer can do a title search for $38. What would a title search give me?

Thanks,

WJW

Registered
QUOTE (TodorYordanov @ Mar 6 2010, 05:53 PM) Any idea how this is done in Ontario. i am looking to find the owner of a student rental. My lawyer can do a title search for $38. What would a title search give me?

Thanks,

Todor,

In Ontario you can contact the local land registry office and ask for a title search. The last time I did this it cost $8(a few years ago). Your realtor in Ontario will also have access to Geowarehouse and over 4 million properties that are registered in the database.

Top Bottom