Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Looking for a home builder coach

Pduncan

Registered
Hey all,

We’re in the process of a build. I recently took over managing the deal and want to learn from a veteran.

We already have a buyer ready to put in an offer even though is not even built. So want to ask fast.

If there are any veteran home builders here who are willing to offer paid coaching through this build process shoot a reply.

Thanks in advance :)

*Update* - building the property in Fort McMurray, Alberta. But phone call coaching is good for me.

Last edited:

Tina Myrvang

Client Care Lead
Staff member
REIN Member
Hello Paul,

Please include the area you are going to be building in.

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
Hire a general contractor (GC) that knows what he (or she) is doing, knows local trades and has a history of doing similar work.

Do NOT do it yourself. It will cost you more, take far longer, hinders financing and may cost you your marriage and life enjoyment.

If you wish to learn construction, work in construction for a few years as a trade to decide if it is for you, then take on more and more complex work so one day you too can become a GC. It’s a 5-8 year process at a minimum.

Coaching from afar does not work.

Pduncan

Registered
Thanks for the reply Thomas. I already have a very professional GC who is going to take on the job.

I’m looking for coaching from an investor though. Someone who has done multiple builds that I can learn things like After build value, how to price the property for the buyer ect. I am basing my knowledge off of my Reno’s experience and am seeing some gaps forming.

Tina Myrvang

Client Care Lead
Staff member
REIN Member
Yes we do, I have found a coach for you already. See them HERE. You can sign up online for a free consultation and see if they are the right fit for you.

Here you can find out coaching program: REIA Coaching

Brad Redekopp

Registered
Typically you would put all your costs down and tack on 15-25% to find your sale price, building a home sounds easy but you will get hammered if you mess up the process. If you want shoot me a message with your phone number and I can walk you through some of the process.

Sent from my iPhone using myREINspace

Shane564

Shane Melanson, Developer & CRE Investor
Registered
Hi Paul,

I've built spec homes in the past- today, I focus on commercial developments (industrial and retail developments in Calgary and Area). My partner has 20+ years in the business- so I've been fortunate.

I agree with Thomas- find the right GC is critical. And, in my experience, bigger is not always better. Think about it this way- if you go to a guy doing 20, 40 even 100 homes a year- how important are you going to be to him?

On the flip side- finding a guy that does 1-2 builds a year- is he going to have the connections to the trades? Will they show up? Does he get pricing power? Does he have staying power?

For a year, I did business development for a general contractor. It was an eye opening experience. The tricks of the trade, change orders, repricing and not seeing the actual invoices (or having 2 sets) - construction is a tough business.

I'm not sure where you're building and what exactly you're looking for from a mentor? Depending on expectations of the time you're going to require from a mentor, I'd be open to talking.

You're on the right track. Don't learn this on your own. Finding someone capable of helping, is a good idea.

Good luck

Top Bottom