Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

May 2013 Maritime Economic Fundamentals

Ally

Research Assistant
Registered
News articles for May 2013.

Ally

Research Assistant
Registered
Brunswick Mine closes Bathurst-area operation

Northern New Brunswick officially lost its largest private sector employer on Tuesday as Spanish mining giant Xstrata Zinc officially closed the Brunswick Mine just south of Bathurst.

"The mine has created opportunities for thousands of people," said Greg Ashe, mine manager.

Read the full article here.

Ally

Research Assistant
Registered
Housing starts drop in Atlantic Canada

On Wednesday, the Crown corporation reported April`s seasonally adjusted annual rates of urban starts decreased in Atlantic Canada (40.8 per cent), Ontario (14.9 per cent) and British Columbia (5.6 per cent). Urban starts increased in Quebec (14.8 per cent) and the Prairies (9.3 per cent).

On a monthly basis, housing starts were trending nationally at 182,754 units in April compared to 188,369 in March. The trend is a six-month moving average of the monthly seasonally adjusted annual rates of housing starts.

Ally

Research Assistant
Registered
Expert confident Nova Scotia will lead country in export growth

It may come as a surprise, but a noted Canadian economist is predicting that growth in Nova Scotia`s export growth will lead the country this year and in 2014.

Peter Hall, chief economist at Export Development Canada, says in the federal agency`s semi-annual global export forecast that Nova Scotia`s exports will expand by 12 per cent this year and a further 11 per cent next.

Ally

Research Assistant
Registered
On a crusade for the West-East pipeline

A New Brunswick mayor says it's important that producers understand the advantages of a pipeline that would carry western crude oil to eastern refineries.

Mel Norton of Saint John says he and other delegates have been in Alberta for the last couple of days talking about what's been dubbed the Energy East pipeline.

Ally

Research Assistant
Registered
Halifax call center hires 300 people

Three hundred more call centre jobs are coming to the metro area.

Admiral Insurance
announced Tuesday that it is hiring 200 more people this summer for its Halifax office, and HGS Canada
`s Dartmouth call centre is planning to hire 100 people within the next eight weeks.

Top Bottom