Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Mortgage Payment Calculations

gwasser

Registered
Hi Garth,

On one of the other discussions, we were talking about the advantages of variable rate vs 5 year term mortgages. I suggested to do some comparison calculations to see what the amounts of money (i.e. the risk) was for various interest scenarios. In fact I was tickled by this problem and tried to do the calculations myself on an excel spreadsheet. But, as happened in the past, when using excel, I never seem to get the exact numbers when compared with official mortgage calculators. I think it has to do with the term `interest calculated semi-annually`, but I am not sure.

An example of the discrepany is given below (using REMA`s calculation and comparing it with Excel).

Principal: $100,000
Interest Rate 5.5%
Amortization 40 yrs.
Monthly Payments
Semi-annual interest calculations not in advance

REMA Calculates: 511.56

Excel, using the pmnt function:

=PMT($B$7/12,$B$4*12,$B$3,0)

$B$7/12 = 0.055/12 (interest rate divided by 12 = monthly interest rate)
$B$4*12 = 40*12 (number of loan periods = 40yrs x 12 months)
$B$3 = 100,000 (Pincipal)
0 = calculates interest at end of month.

Excel answers that my monthly payment is: 515.77

Godfried

GarthChapman

Registered
Hi Godfried, you are absolutely correct - the excel formula you are using is not allowing for the semi-annual interest calculation used for Canadian mortgages.

Let me know if you want the correct excel formula and I may be able to dig it up for you.

FayWong

Registered
QUOTE (gwasser @ Jul 13 2008, 11:14 AM) On one of the other discussions, we were talking about the advantages of variable rate vs 5 year term mortgages. I suggested to do some comparison calculations to see what the amounts of money (i.e. the risk) was for various interest scenarios. In fact I was tickled by this problem and tried to do the calculations myself on an excel spreadsheet. But, as happened in the past, when using excel, I never seem to get the exact numbers when compared with official mortgage calculators. I think it has to do with the term `interest calculated semi-annually`, but I am not sure. An example of the discrepany is given below (using REMA`s calculation and comparing it with Excel).Principal: $100,000
Interest Rate 5.5%
Amortization 40 yrs.
Monthly Payments
Semi-annual interest calculations not in advance

REMA Calculates: 511.56

Excel, using the pmnt function:

=PMT($B$7/12,$B$4*12,$B$3,0)

$B$7/12 = 0.055/12 (interest rate divided by 12 = monthly interest rate)
$B$4*12 = 40*12 (number of loan periods = 40yrs x 12 months)
$B$3 = 100,000 (Pincipal)
0 = calculates interest at end of month.

Excel answers that my monthly payment is: 515.77

Godfried

Try this one:
In Excel, fill in the Columns

in the first cell-A1 fill in the value of the property in this example $133,333.33

In the next cell, B1 fill in the Loan to value Ratio (75%, 80%) In this example 75%

in cell C1 copy the calculation formula to determine the loan principle - or You can just start here and plug in $100,000. The formula is "-sum(a1*b1)" [don`t copy quotation marks please]
=sum(a1*b1)

in the next cell cell # D1 fill in the number of years of amortizaion 25, 30 or as in example 40

Cell # E1 is a calculation to get the number of months
=sum(D1*12)

Cell F1 is where you put in your rate (4.75%, 5.00%, in this example put in 5.5% or .055 no percent)

cell # G1 Is your monthly payment calculation
you must do a separate calculation (I) as well
=$C$1*$I$1/(1-(EXP((LN(1+$I$1)*-$E$1))))

cell # H1 is a calculation to find the total paid annually. You may not want to do H, if so the formula for cell G1 above has to be changed to "=$C$1*$H$1/(1-(EXP((LN(1+$H$1)*-$E$1))))"

=SUM(D1*12)

I is a separate calculation you need for G this is what accounts for the semi-annual calculation =EXP((LN(1+$F$4/2)*2/12))-1

Copy the calcultions, fill in the blanks for the others and G comes up as $511.56
Hope that helps
This works if you want to do it in excel. This is `Excel speak`

brad

REIN Member
What language are you speaking??
style_emoticons

gwasser

Registered
QUOTE (brad @ Jul 13 2008, 09:50 PM) What language are you speaking??
style_emoticons

I am speaking REINish.

Thanks for the help. I`ll try the above given Excel solution. If I still have problems, I may have to take Garth up on his offer to provide me the correct formula.

Again, thanks for the responses.

Godfried

gwasser

Registered
Hi Fay,Your Excel procedure worked. There was one typo though. you wrote:
" I is a separate calculation you need for G this is what accounts for the semi-annual calculation =EXP((LN(1+$F$4/2)*2/12))-1"

The equation should be: =EXP((LN(1+$F$1/2)*2/12))-1

This should be a great starting point for my mortgage comparison sheet. Thanks again.

Godfried

Top Bottom