Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

NE BC Market - an interesting read

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
I thought it is mainly a gas play ?

Site C will go ahead and then a LNG maybe .. or 5?

Last edited:

Sam53473

Inspired Forum Member
Registered
From what I understand there is currently $10 billion dollars in approved projects however the site C dam is $8 billion of that $10......

Although there are approximately 20 proposed projects for the region, none have received the final go ahead.

Many of the major projects; Shell's LNG export plant ($40 billion), Petronas pipeline ($36 billion), and British gas ($26 billion) are dependant upon either federal gov't approval or final decisions by Shell. Coupled with local aboriginal opposition on the Petronas proposal... There's no guarantee the project would move forward even with a liberal fed gov't green light.

Like I said, I still think it could be a great place to buy... However I would be more comfortable once the shovel is in the ground for the larger projects.

Last edited:

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
Yup that is wise

Perhaps Trudeau and natives prefer windmills and a poorer society .. We shall see

TrevorW

Registered
I wouldn't buy anything in NE BC until the shovels are in the ground, permits in place and agreements with First Nations signed. Even Site C is at risk if BC Hydro can get agreements in place. The long term potential looks good, but we shouldn't be buying on POTENTIAL. That word is further reinforced with LNG Canada delaying their FID until late 2016. I own a lot of real estate in NE BC and have taken a beating on vacancies and decreased rents. We are hold on, but I am a very cautious consumer these days...

TrevorW

Registered
Further to Thomas' point, Trudeau has really done a number on a reeling oil and gas industry with his recent emissions policy. A kick in the gut to all of the proposed LNG projects, not to mention cash strapped oil sands developers etc. And this was only the interim policy... I'm all for saving the environment, but this was impeccably poor timing. Clearly the federal Liberals are not talking to the Provincial Liberals....

Top Bottom