Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Need help quick re: renter eviction in Okotoks.

Roomie23

New Forum Member
Registered
Hi there, I have an issue with renters in my apartment in okotoks.
I have been renting for the last 2 months (November would be the 3rd) to a couple (boyfriend and girlfriend) and they were 2 days late with rent in September, 14 days late with rent in October.
This morning, I received a call from the lady renter telling me she had moved out and wasn't sure if I would be getting my rent next month. Her boyfriend was "comes up and the place smelled like marijuana" and also his friend had moved in and been living there for 2 weeks with out my notice. I called the RCMP this morning as it all didn't sound good (considering the coke and weed). RCMP later called me and said both men had been arrested, one (the non renter) for an outstanding warrant and the other for stealing from the lady on the lease. I asked the officer if any illegal activity had happened in my property and he said yes but he wouldn't tell me what and said I wouldn't be able to use it on an eviction notice.
So, the lady has moved out and asked for her damage deposit back, I said no as it would be covering novembers rent. She texted me back saying he would like to continue paying me rent. Obviously I just want them out at this point. Anybody know how I handle this? He also has no contact info as his phone is out of service.
The contract has been broken in my mind by;
A) 2/2 late rent payments
B) someone else living there not on the lease
C) illegal activity (I'm not allowed to use)
D) the 2 people on the lease only 1 is now there..

If anybody can give me any advice I would really appreciate the help.
Thank you.

KhoaN

Inspired Forum Member
Registered
It might be different province to province but I believe in Alberta, if one of the tenant on the contract moved out, the whole lease will considered "voided".

Matt Crowley

REIN Member
In situations like this, get everyone out of the house ASAP and change the locks. Illegal activity is a severe breach, 24 hours notice.

Don't take the rent from the cokehead for November. If they send it etransfer, don't accept it. Tenants that move out must provide a forwarding address for the damage deposit. Make no promises either way with DD.

Once move out is complete and you have have diagnosed the damage, ask yourself whether there is any chance that someone on the lease has money. If they are serious drug addicts they probably have nothing so pursue no further. If they have money, take to court via RTDRS and enforce any lost money including damage, lost rent, ect.

Tina Myrvang

Client Care Lead
Staff member
REIN Member
I saw another post very similar to this one recently. The landlord told the tenant he would be setting up security camera. All comings and goings will be recorded.
This worked for that member. Maybe try that threat. No criminals want to be videoed. And he never actually had to put the security cameras in, the threat was enough.
Have a great day.

Roomie23

New Forum Member
Registered
Thank you so much. She's trying really hard to get the dd back. She believes I have broken the lease.

Marnie

Frequent Forum Member
Staff member
REIN Member
I have today started the proceedings with RTDRS.
I have today started the proceedings with RTDRS.
Great to hear you are going through the RTDRS process. I spoke with Serv-It in Calgary when I had a tenant issue at one of my properties, they provide bailiff, process and tenant default services, and I would have used their services had my situation escalated. Here is there website http://www.serv-it.ca/ My experience with my Edmonton properties is that using a qualified eviction agent in these situations is well worth the service fee both emotionally and financially.

Top Bottom