Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Need some realestate advice thanks

Looking

New Forum Member
Registered
I'm a little bit stuck here...
I'm 38 and have worked at a high payong job for the last ten years.
I was just about to try and get into the housing market here in BC canada, then I got layed off.

It's been three years and I still cant land a job. I'm a trades person and the economy now is so slow it's just stupid.

If I land a job it likely wont be near whT I was making... Thats fine but it took me so long just to get to a point where I could afford to get into the house market.

So... I know the realestate market is pure evil. Am I wrong? I cant see any way people can find a reasonable/affordable place anymore.
I would really rather not live on the streets but since I dont see any other option...

What i'm asking is, when I get working again. How do I get a place?! Is there even a way? Loopholes idk. Because from all I have managed to figure out I could have a high paying job and the cost of getting a place is always going to be out of reach.

I could rent for a while... But really. I'm loud... I dont like people... I spend my time hammering on things and turning wrenches. So an apartment wont work as a long term solution.

Is there such a thing as renting a small home with a yard?
Or buying acerage cheap and just building on it?
I can build a house far cheaper than it is to get into the house market lol thats kind of sad.

Any options would really help!

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
Plenty of trades job in Fort St John, BC, Okanagan, Fort Mc rebuild and in many booming Ontario towns.

Real estate is not evil. Some people are, most are not though.

Buy an old house and fix it up, then sell it to make additional cash.

Looking

New Forum Member
Registered
Good point!
Hmmm I would love to buy an old home and flip it but that still brings me back to how do I get an old home.
I mean after a decade I was being told I can "almost" afford an entry level home.

Just a bit irritated sorry. I keep thinking i'll be able to move out of my parents home by the time i'm sixty.

I have been told there are options to stake a claim to land but idk if they are true.
Someone was telling me him and his son used something called a free miners licence to claim land to build on for free.

Just sounds too good to be true.

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
You came 200 years too late to get free land. Land with old houses still very cheap, often sub 50,000 in remote regions several hours from a big city.

Looking

New Forum Member
Registered
50,000 that I can do... It's something to work with!
Thanks!

Matt Crowley

REIN Member
Some good discussion above... My added two cents is that renting often makes more financial sense than buying, especially when you need the flexibility to move: http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2014/upshot/buy-rent-calculator.html?_r=0

As far as noise allowance and renting at reasonably low cost, I would look at a parking my mobile home on a piece of land from a farmer.

Alternatively, if you could buy a small site from a farmer out of town, you could buy a tiny home and assemble yourself ~$40,000. Some kits come with sustainability options which allow you to go off-grid:

Tiny homes: http://www.detroitnews.com/story/ne...16/09/08/detroit-tiny-homes-project/90005674/

There is some navigation to go through with permits as tiny homes are a bit of an undefined area right now. Easier with mobile homes if it is reasonably temporary.

There is some literature that suggests a rule of thumb pricing is that you should not pay more than 15 years the cost of renting a home to buy a home. http://www.businessinsider.com/equation-buy-or-rent-a-home-2016-4. I think there is some validity to it.

Top Bottom