Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

New Signature Specifications

REINteam

Registered
Hi everyone!

The forum has now launched on our brand-new server and we have seen a drastic increase in the speed of the site overall. Let us know how the browsing speed is working for you as we'll be monitoring this very closely in the coming days and weeks.

With a server upgrade comes further functional upgrades to the forum. To improve the readability of the website, we are implementing some specific rules for personal signatures to keep them all at a uniform size and to remove excess space to make the text in posts more visible. This will help in removing unnecessary white space on the pages, and will also improve loading times for all pages on the forum.

The rules are as follows:

Signatures for REIN` members will be 125 pixels tall by 400 pixels wide, 500 characters maximum.

Example size:

/raduploads/images/reinmember.jpg

Forum members` signatures will be 25 pixels tall by 400 pixels wide, 75 characters maximum.

Example size:

/raduploads/images/registreduser.jpg

Signatures that are larger than this will be cropped. This means that all current signatures that do not fit within the required new size limits will need to be adjusted by each forum member. To ensure that all images and text in your signature fit within this area, large images will need to be resized to fit. If you`re not sure and would like to check the height of your signature, download this Firefox Add-On to help you out. If you need to resize images in your signature, Paint.NET is a great free image-editor.

All of these details will be available in the Technical Support section as a sticky post once the changes have been implemented: http://myreinspace.com/public_forums1/f/64.aspx. For those users who need some more help adjusting their signatures, there will be an instructional screencast posted to the Help section.

These changes will be implemented on Thursday, March 10, 2011
, and will be effective ongoing from this date. We anticipate this to clean up the look of the forum and make things less cluttered and more focused on the content provided by our 12,000+ users. If you have any questions or comments regarding this change or the forum in general, please send them to [email protected].

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
note that the editor to edit signatures DOES NOT WORK !!

I took some whitespace out of my signature line to reduce size .. and the same old one pops up again. Why is that ?

JoeRagona

Registered
I second this with Thomas, I've tried editing my signature, changing font sizes etc and it defaults to the way it was...

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
[quote user=JoeRagona]I second this with Thomas, I've tried editing my signature, changing font sizes etc and it defaults to the way it was...

It worked on one of my PCs .. but not the other .. weird !! May have to do with "cookie settings" .. or try a 2nd or 3rd browser (mine is Firefox usually)

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
I used to work in software testing for 1.5 years early in my IT career. Here is the "error":

If the footer, including all tags, is longer than 500 characters it does not work !

The techie's would say: "it works as per spec" .. but the users complain "it doesn't work .. I do not use 500 characters" .. and they were both right.

So, who is more important: the user/customer or the techie ?

BarryMcGuire

REIN Member
I had trouble changing my signature using my Chrome browser... okay, actually my sweetie-pie Donna did.

But she made the changes in Internet Explorer, and it looks like they took.

Hope this helps,

Barry

REINteam

Registered
Hi everyone,

Thank you for all the replies and concerns regarding the signature editor. Our development department has been working on the issue for the past few days and has rectified it. You should now be able to update your signature without any errors. If you continue to have any problems setting up a signature or editing an existing one, please let us know right away and we will look into it as quickly as possible. Thank you!

GaryMcGowan

Registered
I'm having issues editing my signature. When try and add a hyper link it fails with the 500 character error.

GaryMcGowan

Registered
I was able to add 1 hyper link but I would like to add a couple more, Google Chrome will not work for me. I had to edit it in Internet Explorer.

JoeRagona

Registered
I have tried editing and nothing ever saves. I have tried both in Firefox and IE.

I have also stripped all previous formatting and tried again but it still defaults to my older signature.

REINteam

Registered
Hi Joey,

You should now be able to change your signature. The reason you were getting an error is because your old signature was posted in HTML, and the editor counts HTML characters towards the 500 character limit. We have edited your signature and removed the HTML code, so you should now be able to make the changes you want without a problem. This was present in signatures from existing users. Please let us know if you run into problems from this point.

Signatures on myREINspace have a sizing parameter, but will have unlimited characters which will address this issue for all existing users. This change will be made shortly today. If you have any other questions, please continue to post them here, or you can e-mail me at [email protected].

JoeRagona

Registered
Thanks Madison, I will give that a try. If you don't see a further post, it obviously worked :D

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
why does this post always show up on my "unread posts" (& on top) whenever I log into myreinspace ?

Please fix this !!

REINteam

Registered
Hi Thomas,

We made the post a "sticky" for the first few weeks of the new specifications being in place, and with our new forum, this makes the post a featured item in the new posts column. I'll be removing this post from the "sticky" setting so you won't have it in your new posts timeline any longer. Let me know if you have any more questions!

Top Bottom