Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Nice tenant can not enter tub - showers at friend`s place

Neil1

Registered
Hi everyone,

A good friend has a nice tenant. She is a bit sick and from time to time her hands are weak and can not grab stuff.

Therefore, installing a handrail near the tub (which was somehow installed in a very narrow bathroom), will not help the lady get in and out of the tub.

The reason is tub too high for her to get in and out safely.

Interestingly, she asked my friend if he can remove the tub completely for her and put a shower there instead?

It's a small 1 bdr apt in an old Plex.

What would you do?

Thanks,

Neil

kfort

Registered
This would be pretty situation specific. Condition of tub? Condition of bathroom as a whole? Time to renovate anyway? Rent at appropriate level? Long term tenant?

invst4profit

Registered
I would not do it. I believe it would diminish the value of the apartment. The overall good of the business is far more

important than any given tenant at a specific point in time. Tenants come and go.

Change the tub for your mother maybe but not a tenant.

Unless: the tenant is willing to pay to change to a shower and pay to put a tub back in when she leaves. This is not

going to happen but if she wants a shower she needs to either pony up the cost, take more pain pills or move.

Neil1

Registered
[quote user=kfort]This would be pretty situation specific. Condition of tub? Condition of bathroom as a whole? Time to renovate anyway? Rent at appropriate level? Long term tenant?

It is not yet time to renovate.

The condition of the tub is fine.

Nice tenant with long term potential.

Thanks,

Neil

kfort

Registered
Don't do it. Long term potential isn't the same as long term tenant. And in the end, this is a business and it's about roi. However a mistake many make is not considering the value of their time in the roi calculation. That said, I don't see how you'll get your $ back. Get a new tenant. A gymnast maybe.

Neil1

Registered
[quote user=kfort]Get a new tenant. A gymnast maybe.

Yes, my friend almost regrets not inspecting her hands before accepting her.

Joking.. of course.

Thanks,

Neil

Top Bottom