Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Our First Charity BBQ!

CarlaJohnson

Registered
When Steve and I started investing in real estate we set ourselves three simple goals

1. To create wealth for our family with assets.
2. To help everyone we know achieve the same.
3. To give abundantly to our community and beyond.

We have been active on the first and second goals and this summer we took the third goal to the next level.

In August, friends of ours were preparing to walk in Toronto`s Weekend to End Breast Cancer. As you may know, all participants in this walk must raise a minimum of $2,000 each. Two women who are very dear to me are battling breast cancer and I wanted to do something to show them support, so we decided to organize a fundraiser BBQ for our friends on the walk.

More than 40 good friends came out to our recreation property where we fed them roasted lamb, burgers, salads, corn-on-the-cob and pink ribbon shaped cookies. We organized games for the kids and sold many pink ribbon items. We asked everyone to donate, plus we raffled off several gift certificates and a new, donated, stainless steel BBQ. We asked everyone to dress in pink and we had fun with a crazy bra contest. The day ended on a high with fireworks and a bonfire.

This was a first for us. In many ways, we were flying by the seat of our pants, but we had a really great time and $1700 was raised for the cause that afternoon. Our friends on the walk not only met their goal, they surpassed it! They will be walking again in 2008 and we are already starting to plan a bigger BBQ.

It just feels really good to give back with gratitude for the abundance in our lives.

Carla & Steve

DonCampbell

Investor, Analyst, Author, Philanthropist
Staff member
REIN Member
Hi,

What an amazing note. Not only for raising funds for a very important cause, but also the lesson on getting clear on what you want to achieve (and then have fun doing it). I think it is fantastic that you boiled your real estate goals down to three very clear concepts... none of which mention a specific dollar figure.

"
"

With this clarity in mind, you`ll never get caught trying to squeeze the last dollar out of a deal, you`ll add to your community and you`ll bring along those who want to come along with you. I bet your decision making process is very clear.

Congratulations.

MikeMcCrae

Registered
Your simplicity and clarity are very refreshing. I have been working hard to come up with exactly the same thing but I was trying to make it difficult. A great story and a great target.
Thanks,

QUOTE (carlajohnson @ Sep 26 2007, 10:53 PM) When Steve and I started investing in real estate we set ourselves three simple goals

We have been active on the first and second goals and this summer we took the third goal to the next level.

In August, friends of ours were preparing to walk in Toronto`s Weekend to End Breast Cancer. As you may know, all participants in this walk must raise a minimum of $2,000 each. Two women who are very dear to me are battling breast cancer and I wanted to do something to show them support, so we decided to organize a fundraiser BBQ for our friends on the walk.

More than 40 good friends came out to our recreation property where we fed them roasted lamb, burgers, salads, corn-on-the-cob and pink ribbon shaped cookies. We organized games for the kids and sold many pink ribbon items. We asked everyone to donate, plus we raffled off several gift certificates and a new, donated, stainless steel BBQ. We asked everyone to dress in pink and we had fun with a crazy bra contest. The day ended on a high with fireworks and a bonfire.

This was a first for us. In many ways, we were flying by the seat of our pants, but we had a really great time and $1700 was raised for the cause that afternoon. Our friends on the walk not only met their goal, they surpassed it! They will be walking again in 2008 and we are already starting to plan a bigger BBQ.

It just feels really good to give back with gratitude for the abundance in our lives.

Carla & Steve

CarlaJohnson

Registered
Don & Mike,

Thank you for your encouraging feedback. Your comment about the clarity & simplicity of our goals put a smile on my face. Originally I had tried to write them much more eloquently, but gave up. I had always intended to go back and redo them, but I am going to leave them just the way they are now.

We thought our 2nd goal - to help everyone we know - would be easier than it has turned out to be. We have been told, "You are crazy," and "You are in a dangerous business."

I am sure you have been there too. Oh well, onward we go!

Here`s to living "dangerously!"

Carla ;-)

p.s. Don, I like your new hair. It`s hip.

Top Bottom