Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Qualifying a tenant

nsalama

Registered
Hello,
If you have a potential tenant who has good credit and employment history, what maximum rent can they afford as a percentage of their gross monthly income? is there a rule of thumb that you use.
I thank you in advance for your input.
Nabil

Matt Crowley

REIN Member
Is there a maximum?

On the lower end of the rent scale, no. If someone is renting a basement suite from me and paying 40 - 50% of their income I am okay with that. There is not really anything cheaper on the market and they need to live somewhere. If they don't have high debt in other areas they will find a way to make it work.

To answer your other question, CMHC considers a household to be in core housing need if its housing does not meet one or more of the standards for adequacy, suitability, or affordability and it cannot access acceptable local market housing without spending 30% or more of its before-tax income on shelter. In Edmonton, this is approximately 50,000 households.

Kjeck

New Forum Member
Registered
t already written, 30% is a reasonable amount that tenants should spend on rent. However, you should base not only on gross monthly income of your applicant. Do online research in your area. Look for similar properties on rental websites and see what price landlords charge for their rentals. In the USA it could be Zillow, Rentberry, Craigslist.

REInvestors888

Inspired Forum Member
Registered
Do online research in your area. Look for similar properties on rental websites and see what price landlords charge for their rentals.

Exactly. It's always best to see what's in the market and compare it with your offering. I find this more helpful. Prospective tenants also do this before they even say 'this is it'.

Top Bottom