Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Quick-Turn Seller Pre-screening Tips

wbullock

Registered
I`m looking at several FSBO sites, and want to call several, but being new to the quick-turn idea of purchasing, I only have a somewhat vague idea about what questions to ask the seller on the phone before I go to see the property. I heard Ron LeGrand mention that he has a simple 10 question script that he has his answering service ask callers that are responding to his yellow letter campaign for selling their houses.

I assume some questions would be:
1. Why are you selling?
2. When do you need to sell by?
3. What do you owe on your house?
4. What do you think your house is worth?

Or are some of these questions meant to when you are sitting with the seller?

Does anyone have a similar script?

Thanks.

Bill

tonypeters

Registered
Bill,I have been implementing Ron LeGrand`s creative strategies since 2003.
I would be happy to provide you with a copy of the script we use. If you could provide me with your e-mail address I will forward a copy to you. I must warn you though, having the script and asking certain questions, is only the start, it`s "how"
you go about asking the questions and what you "do"
with the information that you collect...is what REALLY
matters! How do you think I know this?

QUOTE (wbullock @ Oct 6 2009, 02:36 PM) I`m looking at several FSBO sites, and want to call several, but being new to the quick-turn idea of purchasing, I only have a somewhat vague idea about what questions to ask the seller on the phone before I go to see the property. I heard Ron LeGrand mention that he has a simple 10 question script that he has his answering service ask callers that are responding to his yellow letter campaign for selling their houses.

I assume some questions would be:
1. Why are you selling?
2. When do you need to sell by?
3. What do you owe on your house?
4. What do you think your house is worth?

Or are some of these questions meant to when you are sitting with the seller?

Does anyone have a similar script?

Thanks.

Bill

BrianMcGuckian

Registered
QUOTE (tonypeters @ Oct 6 2009, 07:46 PM) Bill,I have been implementing Ron LeGrand`s creative strategies since 2003.
I would be happy to provide you with a copy of the script we use. If you could provide me with your e-mail address I will forward a copy to you. I must warn you though, having the script and asking certain questions, is only the start, it`s "how"
you go about asking the questions and what you "do"
with the information that you collect...is what REALLY
matters! How do you think I know this?
Hi Tony,
I was all set up and ready to sign up for the Legrand course only to be messed around by work so I had to cancel..(sorry again Marc!). Fortunately I have ramped up my marketing and am doing my best to fight the fight. I would love to have a look at your script if at all possible? My email is [email protected]
Thanks so much if you can help!
Cheers,
Brian

tonypeters

Registered
Brian, I will forward a copy to you via e-mail.

QUOTE (BrianMcGuckian @ Oct 7 2009, 06:05 PM) Hi Tony,
I was all set up and ready to sign up for the Legrand course only to be messed around by work so I had to cancel..(sorry again Marc!). Fortunately I have ramped up my marketing and am doing my best to fight the fight. I would love to have a look at your script if at all possible? My email is [email protected]
Thanks so much if you can help!
Cheers,
Brian

BrianMcGuckian

Registered
QUOTE (tonypeters @ Oct 8 2009, 12:32 AM) Brian, I will forward a copy to you via e-mail.
Thanks so much Tony!
Got it!!

Limin

Registered
Hi, Tony,

I plan to do my homework before Ron`s boot camp next week. I have few numbers that I want to call, but don`t know where to start, is possible to have your script? My email is [email protected]
Thank you in advance for your help.

Limin

RedlineBrett

Registered
You want to be careful with too much scripting because conversations like these are sensitive and if you appear to be reading off a pre-defined list you`ll arouse suspicion within the seller.

I`d suggest making your own in a way you feel comfortable.

Here`s what you need to get out of the conversation.

1. Do they have the means to do a deal with you (enough equity)
2. Are they motivated enough to want to deal ASAP.
3. Is the property a `misfit`. Like near a super busy street or powerlines or a commercial complex etc.

I actually had some success calling *twice*. Call them the first time and go over the easy stuff (property condition, neighborhood info, have they had any interest) and then end the conversation by saying that you`re shopping around for a property and will think over what they`ve told you and get back to them if you`re interested.

Then, later that night you call them back to find out if they`re willing to talk price at a level you need. By then they are used to the sound of the voice and it`s a `warm call` not a cold call. After some practice you`ll be able to tell if they`re motivated just by the sound of their voice on the first call.

tonypeters

Registered
Limin,

I will forward a copies of two scripts that I have been using for the past seven years. One is used by my staff to collect detailed information, and the other one is a watered down version for use by a call centre. I will forward to your e-mail address.QUOTE (Limin @ Oct 8 2009, 01:42 PM) Hi, Tony,

I plan to do my homework before Ron`s boot camp next week. I have few numbers that I want to call, but don`t know where to start, is possible to have your script? My email is [email protected]
Thank you in advance for your help.

Limin

ctang

Registered
QUOTE (tonypeters @ Oct 8 2009, 07:33 PM) Limin,

I will forward a copies of two scripts that I have been using for the past seven years. One is used by my staff to collect detailed information, and the other one is a watered down version for use by a call centre. I will forward to your e-mail address.

Hi Tony,

I`ve just finished studying the 17 discs in preparation for Ron LeGrand`s bootcamp on Oct 15-18 and now I`m calling FSBO`s using Ron`s Lead/Property Information Sheet. I`ve called 8 FSBO`s of which 6 gave me their mortgage information. However, I do not have the ARV or appraised value for any of the FSBOs as they do not know that information. How can I find that out? I know ARV is a critical fact that I`ll need to pre-screen so what do I need to do to find this information?

2. Because I`ve listed on Kijiji that "I Buy Houses, Pay cash" I`ve had a hand full of people email me telling me that they have mobile/mini homes for sale only but it does not include the land/property (they pay rent for the property and they don`t own it). Should I bother dealing with these folks that not only have these tiny houses for sale but no property?

3. I live in Halifax, Nova Scotia and there are some very rural places. What is the location criteria that I should use to determine if the house/FSBO is a suspect or prospect based on the location of the property?

lastly, if possible, I would love to use your scripts to better pre-screen these FSBOs. My email is [email protected]

Thanks and look forward to hearing from you.

Chung Tang

ZanderRobertson

Registered
Hi Tony,

Sorry to bombard you with the same request; but if you don`t mind, could you send your scripts to me as well? My email address is [email protected]

Thanks,
Zander

QUOTE (tonypeters @ Oct 8 2009, 04:33 PM) Limin,

I will forward a copies of two scripts that I have been using for the past seven years. One is used by my staff to collect detailed information, and the other one is a watered down version for use by a call centre. I will forward to your e-mail address.

Jesal

Registered
Hi Tony,

I just joined REIN a few months ago and have signed up for Ron Legrand`s seminar. I am trying to come up with the appropriate questions for my FSBO calls. I`d appreciate it if you could share your scripts.

Thank you,
Jeff
[email protected]

tonypeters

Registered
Chung,

My apologies for not getting back to you sooner, as I was away for the Thanksgiving long weekend. I hope you enjoyed your weekend?

Here are some answers to your questions;

1. The ARV (After Repair Value) can be obtained by doing the following; the script requires you to ask the seller what they think their property is worth. You should also note that the other (critical) question you will need to ask them is "how they came up with that number"?

This is a critical piece of information, because depending on what they tell you, you may or may not need to perform a lot more due-diligence at this particular stage. For instance, if the seller tells you that they just had a "certified" appraisal performed, you could take the value they give you as "somewhat" accurate. Now if their number is based on a "City Tax Assessment", you would need to know if the tax assessments in that particular area are typically on the "high" or "low" side. If you don`t know, then you would need to perform more due-diligence before you would be in a position to accept their opinion of what the property is worth.

Your next step is to flush out what repairs are required and what the overall condition of the property is. It is "vitally" important that you understand what additional work the property may need. Note: at this particular stage in the "information gathering" process, you are ONLY gathering information to see if there is a reason "WHY" you may or may not want to obtain more information or consider purchasing this particular property. Let me put it into perspective for you; I NEVER leave my office chair and go look at a property, unless there is a "COMPELLING" reason for me to do so! If I jumped into my car and drove to each and every property that I collected information on, there would NOT be enough time in the day.

So my recommendation to you is...DON`T DO IT!

So let`s re-cap; the "ARV" is calculated by adding the "estimated" repairs to the purchase (what the seller is willing to sell you the house for) price of the property. You should pretty much be able to do ALL of that from your office chair. I do have one Caveat though; if you decide to move forward based on the information you have collected, you would obviously need to verify what you have been told.

Tony`s TIP: NEVER trust what you have been told...ALWAYS verify!

2. I typically "STAY AWAY" from "mobile" or "modular" homes, as I personally classify them as "depreciating" liabilities, and NOT "appreciating" assets. Now with that said, I once purchased a "modular" home that was situated on its own lot in Fort McMurray. It cash flowed $1,650.00 per month. I got in for $18k cash to mortgage. I sold the unit to a Tenant/Buyer on a Lease Purchase contract two years after I purchased it. I made $165k in profit, plus $39,600 in cash flow, plus mortgage pay down. So as you can see, they can be a good investment, but it will ultimately depend on any number of scenarios.

Tony`s TIP: STAY AWAY from "mobile"
or "modular"
homes that are on sitting on "RENTED" lots!

3. There are "many"
factors that you will need to consider. Some of which, but are not limited to the following; travel distance from your home base to the property, long term economic outlook for the city or town the property is located, what is your "back door"
(exit strategy)?

I hope that my answers to your questions are of assistance to you?

I will forward copies of my scripts to you under separate e-mail cover.
/>All the best! Tony Peters

QUOTE (ctang @ Oct 10 2009, 09:44 PM) Hi Tony,

I`ve just finished studying the 17 discs in preparation for Ron LeGrand`s bootcamp on Oct 15-18 and now I`m calling FSBO`s using Ron`s Lead/Property Information Sheet. I`ve called 8 FSBO`s of which 6 gave me their mortgage information. However, I do not have the ARV or appraised value for any of the FSBOs as they do not know that information. How can I find that out? I know ARV is a critical fact that I`ll need to pre-screen so what do I need to do to find this information?

2. Because I`ve listed on Kijiji that "I Buy Houses, Pay cash" I`ve had a hand full of people email me telling me that they have mobile/mini homes for sale only but it does not include the land/property (they pay rent for the property and they don`t own it). Should I bother dealing with these folks that not only have these tiny houses for sale but no property?

3. I live in Halifax, Nova Scotia and there are some very rural places. What is the location criteria that I should use to determine if the house/FSBO is a suspect or prospect based on the location of the property?

lastly, if possible, I would love to use your scripts to better pre-screen these FSBOs. My email is [email protected]

Thanks and look forward to hearing from you.

Chung Tang

tonypeters

Registered
No problem Zander. Consider it done!QUOTE (ZanderRobertson @ Oct 11 2009, 01:29 AM) Hi Tony,

Sorry to bombard you with the same request; but if you don`t mind, could you send your scripts to me as well? My email address is [email protected]

Thanks,
Zander

tonypeters

Registered
No problem Jeff. Consider it done!QUOTE (Jesal @ Oct 11 2009, 10:06 AM) Hi Tony,

I just joined REIN a few months ago and have signed up for Ron Legrand`s seminar. I am trying to come up with the appropriate questions for my FSBO calls. I`d appreciate it if you could share your scripts.

Thank you,
Jeff
[email protected]

charmer56

Registered
QUOTE (tonypeters @ Oct 13 2009, 10:54 AM) No problem Jeff. Consider it done!

Hi Tony, i am in the same boat as the others and if you wouldn`t mind could you please send me a copy of the script also. Thank you so much. [email protected]

marcp

Registered
Hi Tony,
Can you send me a copy of your scripts as well? [email protected]

I`ve called three FSBO`s, and all three gave me all the info I wanted.

I even got a free Nordic Trac ellliptical out of these calls... I`ll pick it up while at the bootcamp.

My problem is that I spend TOO MUCH TIME with the sellers... at this rate it will take forever to screen all these FSBO`s.

Thanks in advance.
Marc.

Top Bottom