Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Radical changes coming for CREA

housingrental

Registered
REIN should change policy and only remove spam and slander

(and put back all my deleted posts - they are my life`s work)
QUOTE (JDaley @ Nov 16 2010, 05:47 PM) Not quiet, more likely to do with the person complaining to REIN - not the content (as I`m told). I`m surpised my other messages haven`t yet been deleted (bad for business I guess - upset brokers) and I noticed the REINTeam isn`t on today, so look for these posts to be deleted sometime soon

housingrental

Registered
This is too much of slippery slope to be on
One groups "instigate" and "attack" (ie realtor`s) is another group (almost everyone else) discussion of valuable business strategy for purchasing and exiting property.
There are advantages and disadvantages to making use of any service provider - and realtor`s are no different - what makes them a sacred cow?

In practice realtor`s should also embrace this topic as a potential goldmine - it presents an opportunity to be ahead of the curve in restructuring their business to serve clients in a different way - and to make good $$ for a small investor focused realtor this could possible be reduced and segmented services for reduced fees but with higher volume (as one example)

QUOTE (REINteam @ Nov 16 2010, 06:17 PM) Just a heads up that topics/posts are deleted that are considered pointless to the conversation and the forum. Sure, pointless is a broad term and subject to who is reviewing...but I personally deleted posts from this thread that were clearly meant to attack and instigate. And yes, the moderators weren`t on today, but I`m poking my head in now to make it clear that posts will be edited and/or deleted if they add zero value to the topic.

Clearly this is a hot button issue for both sides, please respect the forum guidelines and each other.

JDaley

Registered
QUOTE (housingrental @ Nov 17 2010, 09:57 AM) In practice realtor`s should also embrace this topic as a potential goldmine - it presents an opportunity to be ahead of the curve in restructuring their business to serve clients in a different way - and to make good $$ for a small investor focused realtor this could possible be reduced and segmented services for reduced fees but with higher volume (as one example)

Exactly, I agree, change = opportunity and owners like Brett will likely cash-in, making adjustments to their business model while guys like gwisser who refuse to provide these services (then again he is part-time) won`t be as successful. But to the point, the old system couldn`t continue, too many people had a negative view of it (it was unsustainble) and it was affecting peoples perceptions of realtors. These are good changes for everyone. I will ceratinly look at using a realtor to list on the MLS and I`ll be interested to know what other services are available that fit into my exit stratgey.

btw I reposted the post that was deleted on p.16 - its the same one. I suppose if you complain about posts being deleted they`ll look at the content more closely

RedlineBrett

Registered
QUOTE Wouldn`t you like like that
weren`t you calling for my head - after all you do pay fees as you mentioned ?
What I post makes sense and is sound advice - I don`t suggest to investors to blow their their brains out buying like mad and over leveraging. In the same light, why would I suggest to investors to pay more for services they don`t need ?

FWIW no I wasn`t calling for your head, and other than the posts you made where you attacked me personally - they were among your first and you know what I`m talking about - I haven`t had a moral problem with any of the stuff you`ve posted on here. I am on record in several other threads for calling this place a bit of a love-in so even though we disagree on a few things I feel the thread has been really good for the forum.

QUOTE This is good news, this is where the market will be in the next few years ie., a high-growth area (however big this market grows) and I think this is good for everyone - its a win-win for those that proposer in the brokerage business, and those that are the first to embrace the concept will cash-in ie., its an opprotunity. You sound like you`re driven and I`m pretty sure you`ll be successful at capturing market share and growing it. Interesting times!

I got into real estate sales after working with a couple realtors and thinking I could do a lot better job. A `culling of the heard` will be good for the true professionals and the cream always rises to the top.

JDaley

Registered
QUOTE (RedlineBrett @ Nov 17 2010, 10:19 AM) I got into real estate sales after working with a couple realtors and thinking I could do a lot better job. A `culling of the heard` will be good for the true professionals and the cream always rises to the top.

I agree, those with drive and passion usually are the most successful, and that applies especially to real estate !

RedlineBrett

Registered
QUOTE (housingrental @ Nov 17 2010, 09:57 AM) This is too much of slippery slope to be on
One groups "instigate" and "attack" (ie realtor`s) is another group (almost everyone else) discussion of valuable business strategy for purchasing and exiting property.
There are advantages and disadvantages to making use of any service provider - and realtor`s are no different - what makes them a sacred cow?

In practice realtor`s should also embrace this topic as a potential goldmine - it presents an opportunity to be ahead of the curve in restructuring their business to serve clients in a different way - and to make good $$ for a small investor focused realtor this could possible be reduced and segmented services for reduced fees but with higher volume (as one example)

I troll a number of other forums that aren`t moderated and they deteriorate very quickly into barrages of personal attacks whenever there are heated arguments. You need careful moderation. Also, this board has public forums but is supported by the paying members that come here for information and Q and A... hence it is in REIN`s best interest to keep the mud-slinging to a minimum.

bizaro86

Registered
QUOTE (RedlineBrett @ Nov 17 2010, 10:29 AM) You need careful moderation.

Indeed. I have participated in several forums where a long-running disagreement between a few members has spilled over into every thread, making the whole board unreadable. Its too bad, because it can destroy a whole online community.

Michael

JDaley

Registered
QUOTE (bizaro86 @ Nov 17 2010, 12:49 PM) Indeed. I have participated in several forums where a long-running disagreement between a few members has spilled over into every thread, making the whole board unreadable. Its too bad, because it can destroy a whole online community.

Michael

Not only this, you get the likes of gweisser whose apparent interest is to get off topic, employing misdirection and attacking posters. He did the same thing on another thread I started (a list of realtors providing fee for services) and had his posts deleted. In the end you get a thread like this that`s hard to read and coveys little the reader other than posters sniping at each other - exactly what gweisser would like - of course he`s a part-time realtor and part of the problem - guys like him give a bad name to realtors, unlike the professionals who see opportunity in a discussion like this.

JohnS

Registered
QUOTE (JDaley @ Nov 17 2010, 10:36 PM) ....you get the likes of gweisser whose apparent interest is to get off topic, employing misdirection and attacking posters.....
..... other than posters sniping at each other - exactly what gweisser would like....
....he`s a part-time realtor and part of the problem........
......guys like him give a bad name to realtors...........

Thanks for the laugh, chum! Four points attacking another person in only a few sentences....you`re getting good at this!

Have a good one, all!

JohnS

JDaley

Registered
QUOTE (JohnS @ Nov 17 2010, 09:38 PM) Thanks for the laugh, chum! Four points attacking another person in only a few sentences....you`re getting good at this!

Calling me a "chum" doesn`t add to the discussion. Please try to add something new.

Thanks.

JohnS

Registered
QUOTE (JDaley @ Nov 18 2010, 01:58 PM) Calling me a "chum" doesn`t add to the discussion. Please try to add something new.

Thanks.

I wasn`t trying to add anything new to the discussion that time. I was actually just highlighting that you were continuing in your negativity, same as you had been with a bunch of your older, and your more recent, posts. (But not the ones in the middle, the ones I had complimented you on before, funnily enough.)

You see, that`s the corallory to the deal you rejected. If you won`t agree to stop attacking others (in return for my not mentioning it), then you must want to continue attacking others. Which means that I`ll continue to point it out. I`m not saying negative things about you, and I`m not attacking you....I`m just pointing out your negativity. I figured that you must not know how you`re being perceived, so maybe once you realize it, we`ll have some positive changes. You can thank me later....
:)

Have a good one, all!

JohnS

JDaley

Registered
QUOTE (JohnS @ Nov 18 2010, 10:08 PM) You see, that`s the corallory to the deal you rejected. If you won`t agree to stop attacking others (in return for my not mentioning it), then you must want to continue attacking others. Which means that I`ll continue to point it out. I`m not saying negative things about you, and I`m not attacking you...

This thread has been ruined, what useful information has long been buried thanks to posts like the one above. Your post doesn`t contain anything relevant to the discussion other than name-calling so lets just quit it and move, or lets focus on the issue of part-time realtors (still relevant to this discussion, I believe) and the effect they have on the business. Do you know of part-time lawyers, or part-time accountants, or part-time engineers? I`m pretty sure these guys don`t do either job well and are mostly in it for the quick-buck (it seems that way). And some use this forum simply as a means to promote what small business they do have. The CREA should deal with this issue as a next priority since it gives the pros a bad name.

housingrental

Registered
Hi JDaley
Your last post on Godfried was inappropriate though I take no issue with your real estate related content.
He is highly regarded and could be viewed as a rare and honest visionairy for disgruntled service providers from coast to coast.
QUOTE (JDaley @ Nov 19 2010, 09:32 AM) This thread has been ruined, what useful information has long been buried thanks to posts like the one above. Your post doesn`t contain anything relevant to the discussion other than name-calling so lets just quit it and move, or lets focus on the issue of part-time realtors (still relevant to this discussion, I believe) and the effect they have on the business. Do you know of part-time lawyers, or part-time accountants, or part-time engineers? I`m pretty sure these guys don`t do either job well and are mostly in it for the quick-buck (it seems that way). And some use this forum simply as a means to promote what small business they do have. The CREA should deal with this issue as a next priority since it gives the pros a bad name.

gwasser

Registered
QUOTE (JDaley @ Nov 19 2010, 07:32 AM) This thread has been ruined, what useful information has long been buried thanks to posts like the one above. Your post doesn`t contain anything relevant to the discussion other than name-calling so lets just quit it and move, or lets focus on the issue of part-time realtors (still relevant to this discussion, I believe) and the effect they have on the business. Do you know of part-time lawyers, or part-time accountants, or part-time engineers? I`m pretty sure these guys don`t do either job well and are mostly in it for the quick-buck (it seems that way). And some use this forum simply as a means to promote what small business they do have. The CREA should deal with this issue as a next priority since it gives the pros a bad name.

Since you seem to be willing to move on and stop the personal attacks, let me respond.

Many lawyers work part-time so are many doctors. The stress level of dealing with other people`s problems is just too high so a large proportion either takes a lot of vacation or limit their working hours. Furthermore, not every Realtor is in it for the money. I have invested in Real Estate for as long as I can remember, i.e. 30 years. I got badly burned in 1982 so I cooled it until I could handle vacancies without laying awake at night.

My strategy was to first invest in the stockmarket using my savings. This was not always easy either. Whether you invest in Real Estate or in the stock market, you always seem to be waiting for the turn-around. Anyway, I became financially independant and retired (or better semi-retired) in 2006. Around 2000, I decided to diversify and increase my portofolio`s proportion of real estate investments; In 2007 I became a REIN member because there was so much too learn and I enjoyed the positive attitudes of many REIN members.

Like many who retire early, after a while I became bored and decided to see how it was on the otherside of the fence, i.e. becoming a Realtor. So I went through their education program and learned many things. I also noticed that many new Realtors were told about the golden pot during those courses (although not about the fact that the golden pot stood at the end of a rainbow). I also noticed that many of the aspiring new Realtors were naive, to say the least. Several had never even owned or bought a house on their own. Then there were the guys just out of high school. No wonder 80% of them were likely to fail in the first year. But there were also a number of aspiring Realtors that had already a lot of exposure through close relatives already in the profession - true Realtor dynasties. Then there were people like me, who wanted to learn about Realtorship and augment their overall real estate knowledge.

Although the education offered was far from perfect, it was the same as offered on Mount Royal College (now a university in Calgary). It lasts 3 to 6 months education depending on your pace. Nearly 50% of the content was directed towards ethics and knowing the law. There are an enormous amount of issues when selling or buying for third parties (arm`s length buyers and seller, in other word clients). The courses did go into commercial real estate, rural real estate and of course residential real estate. Overall, I was impressed although some of the material was inconsistent (and when they dealt with soil quality, I as a geologist I knew it was sometimes outright erroneous).

Upon getting my license, I met lots of other Realtors, it is a pretty upbeat bunch and you have to be, I learned pretty soon, because it is a very competitive business. Every buyer has already a friend who is a Realtor. So if you really want to survive, you do it full time and you have to build your clientele out for many years. Numerous Realtors can just not afford to live below the poverty level for years while building their practice. So they have to keep their old career or take on a job on the side. I met one Realtor who was at it for four years and had to work as a waitress to pay the bill. The attrition is attrocious.

I was fairly succesfull in my first 6 months because I had already a decent sized network. Plus I was focussing on small investors, often REIN members. REIN members are not the easiest clients, because they want to write lots of offers, they know exactly what they want as learned from their books (including some incorrect procedures which you cannot correct if you use dynamite - well nearly), REIN members also are known to want to scrape the bottom of the barrel - how else do you find properties that meet the REIN criteria? Anyway it was fun and money came in to cover the expenses. But to really make a living, you have to sell a lot more than one condo per month. For me, after I learned what I wanted; after the liability when combining investing with realtorship increased even further due to the CB thing; and upon considering that I could make a lot more money elsewhere, I decided to move on. Numerous other Realtors are sticking it out and not necessarily for the money as you claim. They just love the entrepreneurship of their profession and many are just as enthusiastic about real estate as many REIN members.

The sad truth is also that if you want to really make a living as a Realtor, you have to sell at least seven average priced properties per month. So using the classic stats for selling that means, you need 5 new contacts to create one lead and you need 5 leads to sell one house. So to sell 7 houses per month you need to meet an enormous amount of people. No rooky Realtor has that many contacts right at the start. My mailing list was close to 300 friends and contacts not counting REIN. From that I got about 20 leads - enough people to sit down with and talk about real estate. It translated into 5 sales (the sixth I bought myself).

Another starting Realtor was a teacher who had traveled all his life around the world teaching English. Most time he spend in China and India. You would think that he had enough smarts and people skills to be successful as a Realtor. He was a very personable fellow and worked hard at being a Realtor for a year. His funds ran out and he had to quit without selling one house. Yes he wanted to make money (like anyone else), but that was definitely not the only reason he liked dealing with people but he had no large network in Calgary.

From my point of view, most Realtors who are succesfull are good guys who love what they are doing and to survive they must know what they are doing and be very active in their community. I have only the heighest admiration for them. Your Nemesis Brett, is a young engineer by training. He can make a lot more dough being an engineer than as a Realtor. He is an entrepreneur at heart and he works his tail off to make his dream come true. He has a lot more patience than me and he tried to answer many of your points - justified or not - in incredible detail. Hats off to him.

A good Realtor, listing and buying, offers value for their commissions. Yes, sophisticated investors may be able to represent themselves in the real estate market. But even for guys like me, I still like to use a Realtor because they save me time and thus money. There will be the occaisional deal that I may stumble on and do my self without a Realtor. But I am an investor and soon again a full time geologist (I have to do something to prevent getting bored) and the time that I save using a Realtor is worth a lot more than a bit of commission. There is only a very tiny proportion of the market that will really benefit from the new rules; there will also be a fair number of inexperienced real estate buyers and sellers who decide to go on their own. The latter will get hurt because of these new rules forced on by the CB. In my eyes the net gain for investors such as yourself who have the skills to do it on their own will cost those inexperienced real estate buyers a bundle - probably when they can least afford it.

Wow, a long epistle - I guess I need many words to say something that in my eyes is obvious.
Oops the stock market is up again - have to go make some real money

JDaley

Registered
QUOTE (housingrental @ Nov 19 2010, 08:35 AM) Hi JDaley
Your last post on Godfried was inappropriate though I take no issue with your real estate related content.
He is highly regarded and could be viewed as a rare and honest visionairy for disgruntled service providers from coast to coast.

Hi Adam, this maybe so however when it comes to realtor commissions, I think there`s certainly another side (you should ahve read his deleted posts on my thread regarding fee for servcies) and besides there is an issue with Part-time Realtors that the most relators (the pros) would agree is a problem. Thanks.

JDaley

Registered
QUOTE (gwasser @ Nov 19 2010, 09:04 AM) Many lawyers work part-time so are many doctors. The stress level of dealing with other people`s problems is just too high so a large proportion either takes a lot of vacation or limit their working hours. Furthermore, not every Realtor is in it for the money. I have invested in Real Estate for as long as I can remember, i.e. 30 years. I got badly burned in 1982 so I cooled it until I could handle vacancies without laying awake at night.

This maybe your case, but as you know it is a problem. You do agree that the pros frown on part-time realtors ?

gwasser

Registered
QUOTE (JDaley @ Nov 19 2010, 09:07 AM) This maybe your case, but as you know it is a problem. You do agree that the pros frown on part-time realtors ?

No they don`t, experienced Realtors know that the committed and good ones will stay. The others, for whatever reason will go. I never felt unwelcome - except maybe when dealing with the Real Estate Board which seemed to see me as a milk cow. I worked for the better part of a year at Royal Le Page along with other starting Realtors. It was always a happy welcoming bunch - afterall if your not open, motivated and enthusiastic you won`t survive the profession. Also, many good and experienced Realtors remember their own rough starts. I saw Realtors during this bad market still making fun with each other while many hadn`t sold a place for a long time in Calgary`s down market.

This does not make me blind though. Not every Realtor is by definition good. You have to be critical and ensure that your Realtor is competent and offers you value. You need a good team member for your real estate investment company.

JDaley

Registered
QUOTE (gwasser @ Nov 19 2010, 09:29 AM) No they don`t, experienced Realtors know that the committed and good ones will stay. The others, for whatever reason will go. I never felt unwelcome - except maybe when dealing with the Real Estate Board which seemed to see me as a milk cow. I worked for the better part of a year at Royal Le Page along with other starting Realtors. It was always a happy welcoming bunch - afterall if your not open, motivated and enthusiastic you won`t survive the profession. Also, many good and experienced Realtors remember their own rough starts. I saw Realtors during this bad market still making fun with each other while many hadn`t sold a place for a long time in Calgary`s down market.

Actually I say this because I was told by a realtor that part-timers rae an issue - but anyway, I think it`d be in the best interests of the profession if they`d accredit these guys and have them dedicated to the profession.

gwasser

Registered
QUOTE (JDaley @ Nov 19 2010, 10:12 AM) Actually I say this because I was told by a realtor that part-timers rae an issue - but anyway, I think it`d be in the best interests of the profession if they`d accredit these guys and have them dedicated to the profession.

I agree that a good accreditation process is essential. Also maybe a period of training on the job under a more experienced Realtor before the starting Realtor is let loose on the unsuspecting public. Currently the accreditation based on theoretical knowledge is good though not perfect. Adding a required minimum period of working in the real world under supervision of an accredited Realtor would be a definite plus. Other professions demand that too.

Top Bottom