Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Radical changes coming for CREA

LifesMoneyPeople

Registered
Want to hear how many are for and against this

Do you believe that if passed it will make it more competitive and cheaper like what happened in the US

I will believe that it will help us and others out because it will give us access to what realtors have access too

I will still use a realtor as always but never know on the selling end of it when the time comes to start a exit strategy

please discuss

LMP

http://www.bnn.ca/news/15602.html

Gen1GT

Registered
Sounds good to me. I`d like to have access to all the MLS information at my own whim.

RedlineBrett

Registered
QUOTE (Gen1GT @ Feb 8 2010, 01:35 PM) Sounds good to me. I`d like to have access to all the MLS information at my own whim.

Just a reminder to all Realtors that use this forum that we have been instructed by CREA not to comment on this issue until the case is resolved.

I would love to explain to forum users that this post above isn`t true at all however CREA would like to continue to be the only body to comment on this issue until either a settlement is reached or there is a ruling one way or the other.

JDaley

Registered
The CREA is the most corrupt organization I can think of, most people seem to agree on this point except the realtors themselves.

bizaro86

Registered
QUOTE (RedlineBrett @ Feb 8 2010, 02:13 PM) we have been instructed by CREA not to comment on this issue until the case is resolved.

Is that a power that CREA commands? If I was a realtor I think I`d want to keep mum because less comments mean less publicity, and more publicity on this issue isn`t something that benefits realtors.

However, I also don`t like being told what to do!

Anyway, it seems unlikely to me that enforcing silence is a power that they would have.

Michael

GaryMcGowan

Registered
QUOTE (JDaley @ Feb 8 2010, 04:31 PM) The CREA is the most corrupt organization I can think of, most people seem to agree on this point except the realtors themselves.

How?Why?

Realtors that I work with have made our business very successful.

RedlineBrett

Registered
QUOTE (JDaley @ Feb 8 2010, 02:31 PM) The CREA is the most corrupt organization I can think of, most people seem to agree on this point except the realtors themselves.

Says someone who doesn`t pay a dime to CREA yet benefits from them every time he pops on to MLS.ca

Please observe that there are many members of CREA on these forums. Members that, unlike yourself, have paid for REIN membership. Discussion about the competition bureau inquiry is one thing but slanderous comments towards a professional association are quite another so let`s use a bit more tact as we carry on ok?

RedlineBrett

Registered
QUOTE (bizaro86 @ Feb 8 2010, 03:41 PM) Is that a power that CREA commands? If I was a realtor I think I`d want to keep mum because less comments mean less publicity, and more publicity on this issue isn`t something that benefits realtors.

However, I also don`t like being told what to do!

Anyway, it seems unlikely to me that enforcing silence is a power that they would have.

Michael

I don`t like being told what to do either... but as a member I am paying CREA to solve this problem and one voice is better than tens of thousands from every realtor in the country. We have been asked not to comment publicly or speak to the media and to defer all competition bureau questions to the CREA spokesperson that`s all. Do I have my own comments and do I tell them to people off the record? Sure I do. But a public internet forum linked to the whole world is not the place right now.

bizaro86

Registered
QUOTE (RedlineBrett @ Feb 8 2010, 04:06 PM) I don`t like being told what to do either... but as a member I am paying CREA to solve this problem and one voice is better than tens of thousands from every realtor in the country. We have been asked not to comment publicly or speak to the media and to defer all competition bureau questions to the CREA spokesperson that`s all. Do I have my own comments and do I tell them to people off the record? Sure I do. But a public internet forum linked to the whole world is not the place right now.

That is of course absolutely the best strategy to follow, especially since legal action is involved. Any true professional should know that when the whole profession is being attacked, its best to band together.

I do hope my comments were not taken as disparaging, I use a realtor and get significant value from doing so. I recommend others do so as well, and would not hesitate to recommend someone use you personally for suited-house type investments based soley on your conduct on this forum.

My comment was only directed to the difference between CREA "asking" vs "telling" its members to do something.

Very best regards,

Michael

RedlineBrett

Registered
QUOTE (bizaro86 @ Feb 8 2010, 04:15 PM) My comment was only directed to the difference between CREA "asking" vs "telling" its members to do something.

No problem Michael I took no offense to your post. Many realtors like the sound of their own voice so I`m glad CREA is clamping down on it a bit.

MONEY

Registered
QUOTE (RedlineBrett @ Feb 8 2010, 02:13 PM) Just a reminder to all Realtors that use this forum that we have been instructed by CREA not to comment on this issue until the case is resolved.

I would love to explain to forum users that this post above isn`t true at all however CREA would like to continue to be the only body to comment on this issue until either a settlement is reached or there is a ruling one way or the other.
What kind of NAZI organization is That!!

No Freedom of Speech...hmmm....isn`t there a section of the Competition Bureau that deals with that.

MONEY

Registered
QUOTE (RedlineBrett @ Feb 8 2010, 02:13 PM) I would love to explain to forum users that this post above isn`t true at all however CREA would like to continue to be the only body to comment on this issue until either a settlement is reached or there is a ruling one way or the other.

Is this what you would like to say: http://tinyurl.com/y993mys

LifesMoneyPeople

Registered
QUOTE (MONEY @ Feb 8 2010, 07:39 PM) Is this what you would like to say: http://tinyurl.com/y993mys

Good find even though it is old and somethings might have changed. Now there might be no discussion allowed and back then they were???

I hope that all realtors on the forums will discuss this subject when they have the freedom too even if it is not in this topic but at least another one for the general knowledge of our community

JDaley

Registered
QUOTE (RedlineBrett @ Feb 8 2010, 04:01 PM) Says someone who doesn`t pay a dime to CREA yet benefits from them every time he pops on to MLS.ca

Please observe that there are many members of CREA on these forums. Members that, unlike yourself, have paid for REIN membership. Discussion about the competition bureau inquiry is one thing but slanderous comments towards a professional association are quite another so let`s use a bit more tact as we carry on ok?

Typical realtor, bullying and pushy. I hope you ain`t trying to intimate me or worse, threaten me. I had a friend that worked at a realtors office and her comments were that she`d never buy a home from a realtor after what she witnessed. Slander really, I can pick out anytime an MLS listing information that’s incorrect or misleading, such as claiming a unit is LEGAL when its not. In fact I`m looking at one now. Realtors demand outrageous fees for little in return, hell my lawyer does twice the work of a realtor and gets compensated for a fraction. Give me a break.

RedlineBrett

Registered
QUOTE (MONEY @ Feb 8 2010, 05:39 PM) Is this what you would like to say: http://tinyurl.com/y993mys

Most of that blog is that realtor summarizing the issue and providing much more detail on the issues being contested. Which is certainly needed as readers are seeing the headlines but not `going behind the curtain` on this subject.

There are several issues not being discussed that the public needs to be aware of. These issues aren`t getting any press right now because the story that sells is the illusion of cheaper fees and agents being cut out of deals.

Smitty

REIN Member
QUOTE (JDaley @ Feb 9 2010, 10:33 AM) Typical realtor, bullying and pushy. I hope you ain`t trying to intimate me or worse, threaten me. I had a friend that worked at a realtors office and her comments were that she`d never buy a home from a realtor after what she witnessed. Slander really, I can pick out anytime an MLS listing information that`s incorrect or misleading, such as claiming a unit is LEGAL when its not. In fact I`m looking at one now. Realtors demand outrageous fees for little in return, hell my lawyer does twice the work of a realtor and gets compensated for a fraction. Give me a break.

Don`t think I will give you a break. No, I am not a realtor. Just saying that the broad brush you painted Brett with with, including your vast generalizations, don`t apply. All Brett was saying is he asked for the tone of this thread to be discussing the inquiry, and not to turn it into "12 reasons I hate realtors", and least use some tact.

Clearly you missed that (boy did you ever), and by the way, there was nothing bullying, threatening, or intimidating about Brett`s post. Quit being so hyper sensitive.

Mike Smith

LifesMoneyPeople

Registered
QUOTE (Smitty @ Feb 9 2010, 12:46 PM) Don`t think I will give you a break. No, I am not a realtor. Just saying that the broad brush you painted Brett with with, including your vast generalizations, don`t apply. All Brett was saying is he asked for the tone of this thread to be discussing the inquiry, and not to turn it into "12 reasons I hate realtors", and least use some tact.

Clearly you missed that (boy did you ever), and by the way, there was nothing bullying, threatening, or intimidating about Brett`s post. Quit being so hyper sensitive.

Mike Smith

I also agree I dont want this thread to get out of hand, all I am looking for is basic discussion on this subject

Brent do you have any idea timeline wise on this issue I am guessing 1yr+ before a solution will be available to the greater public

JimWhitelaw

Registered
I guess what I don`t understand is why this is a "competition" issue. No other company or organization is prevented from creating their own listing database. In fact, several have, like ComFree or even Kijiji or Craigslist for that matter. It`s not like the monopoly granted to Canada Post where it`s flat-out illegal to set up a competing business.

Sure, I think it would be nice to have easier and cheaper access to the MLS and I`d most certainly avail myself of that if I could, but I don`t see why the gov`t needs to interfere here. If someone thinks MLS is uncomptetive, they should go out and create a better alternative.

gwasser

Registered
QUOTE (RedlineBrett @ Feb 9 2010, 10:39 AM) Most of that blog is that realtor summarizing the issue and providing much more detail on the issues being contested. Which is certainly needed as readers are seeing the headlines but not `going behind the curtain` on this subject.

There are several issues not being discussed that the public needs to be aware of. These issues aren`t getting any press right now because the story that sells is the illusion of cheaper fees and agents being cut out of deals.

I read Brett`s posts here and I think he is dealing with this issue in a very professional matter.
There was a new development where CREA announced they`re trying to amend some of the MLS regulations to address the concerns of the competition bureau. No follow-up yet.

Top Bottom