Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Radical changes coming for CREA

mark186

Registered
Getting back to the original question, my point of view is determined by who owns MLS. The BNN article states it is CREA which I believe is true. My sense is that MLS is a database of sorts. If I want comps for a property, the easiest way for that information to be provided to me is for my CRE dues paying agent to provide it to me. The information is in the public domain. I can go down to my local registry office and do the legwork to gather the info, however it much easier for my agent using the service. The question then is: who developed the system? This entity should derive benefits from their work. Additionally, I bet the registry offices around the country charge them substantial fees.

The same principle applies to listing my house for sale. Nobody says I have to list it on MLS, however if I want to derive the substantial benefits of doing so, I should have to pay for it. Following the same line of thought but going the other way, I do not believe CREA should be allowed to restrict trade in manners such as making it illegal for me to go around and sell houses if I choose to do so. I should not be able to access CREA resources such as MLS, but I should be allowed to attempt to earn a living.

What irks me is these government types thinking they are enhancing competition by hassling CREA. The way to really enhance competition here would be by making the same information and services supplied by CREA available to all. These days that means putting it online. Anyone holding their breath waiting for the government to put together a comprehensive website where you can list your house for sale for everyone in the country to access? I didn`t think so.

Disclaimer: I am not an agent or involved with the business of RE in any other way aside from being a small investor. I am however, an ardent libertarian.

RedlineBrett

Registered
QUOTE (LifesMoneyPeople @ Feb 9 2010, 10:53 AM) I also agree I dont want this thread to get out of hand, all I am looking for is basic discussion on this subject

Brent do you have any idea timeline wise on this issue I am guessing 1yr+ before a solution will be available to the greater public

Your guess is as good as mine. I`d say a year is in the right ballpark.

RedlineBrett

Registered
QUOTE (mark186 @ Feb 9 2010, 12:42 PM) If I want comps for a property, the easiest way for that information to be provided to me is for my CRE dues paying agent to provide it to me. The information is in the public domain. I can go down to my local registry office and do the legwork to gather the info, however it much easier for my agent using the service. The question then is: who developed the system? This entity should derive benefits from their work. Additionally, I bet the registry offices around the country charge them substantial fees.

You can`t get comps by going down to the registry. You can pull title for a specific property but there is no database that shows houses sold in the last 30 days of a certain type. So you`d be taking a guess at $10 a pop to grab the new title and see the price and the date the title was last transferred.

That said, the MLS only tracks sales sold through a brokerage tied to CREA. It doesn`t show private sales either. There is no all-encompassing database anywhere.

The local boards administer the database for their local market. So the Calgary RE board maintains the Calgary database and charges its members to support it. I am pretty sure CREA owns MLS.ca.

RedlineBrett

Registered
QUOTE (REINteam @ Feb 9 2010, 12:47 PM) Check this out...

Don was just interviewed on CKNW about this very topic

Once again Don looks behind the curtain and doesn`t miss a thing. Finally someone who knows a thing or two about real estate services comments on this issue.

BTW - Ray, very cool way to post a soundclip!

JohnS

Registered
QUOTE (JDaley @ Feb 9 2010, 12:33 PM)
Typical realtor, bullying and pushy. I hope you ain't trying to intimate me or worse, threaten me. I had a friend that worked at a realtors office and her comments were that she'd never buy a home from a realtor after what she witnessed. Slander really, I can pick out anytime an MLS listing information that's incorrect or misleading, such as claiming a unit is LEGAL when its not. In fact I'm looking at one now. Realtors demand outrageous fees for little in return, hell my lawyer does twice the work of a realtor and gets compensated for a fraction. Give me a break.

Wow, JD, talk about one of the worst examples of misreading someone's posts! Brett, who has always been very helpful to people here, said nothing that I could even remotely read as being threatening, bullying, intimidating or pushy. Instead, he politely stated facts, and asked that people show the same respect that he always shows.

You, however, were plainly insulting, and threatening can very easily be read from your post, where you, for no apparent reason whatsoever, said, "I hope you ain't trying to intimate me or worse, threaten me..."

All I can say is that it's too bad that you've let your friend's bad experience and your own bad experience so tarnish your viewpoints that you're completely closed off to decent people asking for reasonable behaviour.

Keep the good info and help coming, Brett - I think it's safe to say that the vast majority of people on here appreciate it!

Have a good one, all!

JohnS

spark1

Registered
QUOTE (REINteam @ Feb 9 2010, 01:47 PM) Check this out...

Click here for the information

Did you expect any other point of view from Don? He would not upset realtors, because many REIN members are realtors.

Go CB go!

tahani

REIN Member
Thanks Ray.

Thanks Don. Very good interview.

Brent Keep up the great work.

RedlineBrett

Registered
QUOTE (spark1 @ Feb 9 2010, 03:38 PM) Did you expect any other point of view from Don? He would not upset realtors, because many REIN members are realtors.
Go CB go!

MOST rein members are not realtors... so I don`t know how much I believe that statement. I think it`s a bit of a stretch to insinuate that Don has a hidden agenda to protect his realtor buddies. I certainly haven`t recieved a flower basket from him or anything. Where`s the love Don? LOL

I think it would be safer to assume that Don is commenting from the perspective of someone that has acquired somewhere around 1000 doors and built a business that provides clarity to those interested in Canadian investment real estate. He does frequent these forums, maybe you should send him a PM and ask him personally.

gwasser

Registered
QUOTE (REINteam @ Feb 9 2010, 12:47 PM) Check this out...

Ray, I would like to place a copy of Don`d interview on my blog. Is their a file I could copy?

REINteam

Registered
Here is a link to the audio hosted on our site: http://www.reincanada.com/Video/TabId/74/V...aspx?type=audio

Below the audio box there is a URL generator as well as an Embed code generator, or you can copy and paste the code below if you wish to use this:

CODE<object allowFullScreen=`True` allowScriptAccess=`always` allowNetworking=`all` width=`400` height=`150`><param name=`movie` value=`http://www.reincanada.com/DesktopModules/UltraVideoGallery/mp3.swf` /><param name=`allowFullScreen` value=`true` /><param name=`flashvars` value=`vId=115&portalId=0&baseUrl=http://www.reincanada.com/DesktopModules/UltraVideoGallery/` /><embed src=`http://www.reincanada.com/DesktopModules/UltraVideoGallery/mp3.swf` type=`application/x-shockwave-flash` allowFullScreen=`True` allowScriptAccess=`always` allowNetworking=`all` width=`400` height=`150` flashvars=`vId=115&portalId=0&baseUrl=http://www.reincanada.com/DesktopModules/UltraVideoGallery/`></embed></object>

Hope this helps.

REINteam

Registered
Further, as Brett mentioned, the percentage of realtors in REIN is actually rather small. Should all realtors be members??? IMHO yes, if they are serious about their profession it is a no-brainer (maybe I`m biased).

This was simply Don`s opinion on the situation, from a vast back ground of real estate investment knowledge - no hidden agenda, I can assure you.

JDaley

Registered
QUOTE (RedlineBrett @ Feb 8 2010, 04:01 PM) Please observe that there are many members of CREA on these forums.

Don`t know what percentage of REIN members are realtors, but Brett`s comments appear to be contradictory (see above). If there aren`t many REIN members that are realtors, as Brett says, they are lurking on the forum - by his own admission, or whatever data gathering method he uses. We all know the CREA has no interest in promoting the smaller players to protect their large their commissions - to the detriment of home owners and the market. I haven`t used a realtor in years.

gwasser

Registered
QUOTE (JDaley @ Feb 9 2010, 05:08 PM) I haven`t used a realtor in years.

Then maybe you should not express your unsubstantiated opinions about something you realy know not a lot about.

gwasser

Registered
QUOTE (REINteam @ Feb 9 2010, 04:22 PM) Here is a link to the audio hosted on our site: http://www.reincanada.com/Video/TabId/74/V...aspx?type=audio

Below the audio box there is a URL generator as well as an Embed code generator, or you can copy and paste the code below if you wish to use this:

CODE<object allowFullScreen=`True` allowScriptAccess=`always` allowNetworking=`all` width=`400` height=`150`><param name=`movie` va....

object>

Hope this helps.

Wow that was great. Thanks a lot, I`ve got it now in my blog.

JDaley

Registered
QUOTE (gwasser @ Feb 9 2010, 08:42 PM)
Then maybe you should not express your unsubstantiated opinions about something you realy know not a lot about.

... says a realtor. Yes I haven't used a realtor in a while, but I have plenty of experience with realtors in the past. Attack the point and not the person. I think you're on the wrong side of this agruement/discussion, aside from fellow realtors, you'll find little sympathy from the general public regarding the CREA, its membership and its practices.

wealthyboomer

Registered
QUOTE (REINteam @ Feb 9 2010, 12:47 PM)
Check this out...

Interesting talk about 'low-rate commissions'.

With most commission based selling, the sales person would generally promote the product that puts the most $$ into his pocket.

But Realtors have an obligation to the client FIRST.

In Alberta according to RECA, agents have Fiduciary Duties:

Undivided Loyalty: An agent MUST act in the client`s best interests. An agent must put the client`s interests AHEAD of anyone else`s, INCLUDING HIS OWN.

That means showing ALL properties REGARDLESS of YOUR COMMISSION!!!

JDaley

Registered
QUOTE (wealthyboomer @ Feb 9 2010, 09:24 PM) Interesting talk about `low-rate commissions`.
With most commission based selling, the sales person would generally promote the product that puts the most $$ into his pocket.

But Realtors have an obligation to the client FIRST.
In Alberta according to RECA, agents have Fiduciary Duties:
Undivided Loyalty: An agent MUST act in the client`s best interests. An agent must put the client`s interests AHEAD of anyone else`s, INCLUDING HIS OWN.
That means showing ALL properties REGARDLESS of YOUR COMMISSION!!!

I agree - but it`ll never happen under the current rules. In a nutshell, most people who deicide to sell, don`t want to deal with a realtor because of the commissions they`re required to pay. However homowners end up using a realtor - Why is that ? The basic answer is because home owners have no real alternative. The Competition Bureau knows this and wants to put an end to the CREA practices, that results in excessive commissions.

housingrental

Registered
I think what is so great about REIN's message board is that someone like him can post that and they don't delete it

QUOTE (RedlineBrett @ Feb 9 2010, 06:06 PM)
MOST rein members are not realtors... so I don't know how much I believe that statement. I think it's a bit of a stretch to insinuate that Don has a hidden agenda to protect his realtor buddies. I certainly haven't recieved a flower basket from him or anything. Where's the love Don? LOL

I think it would be safer to assume that Don is commenting from the perspective of someone that has acquired somewhere around 1000 doors and built a business that provides clarity to those interested in Canadian investment real estate. He does frequent these forums, maybe you should send him a PM and ask him personally.

Top Bottom