Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Reference for Problem Tenants

FayWong

Registered
I have had a lot of renters but this is the first time I have had this problem. My tenants in the basement suite just can`t get along with the people upstairs. Both were being disrespectful, but the downstairs people went too far so they were asked to leave. They were happy to be able to get out of their lease, it was an unpleasent situation for everyone. Now the problem. When they applied at a new place, the property manager called for a reference. I don`t want to give a bad reference as I want them to find a place and get out,but I had to tell the other property manager the truth about the situation. I added that I thought it might just be bad chemistry, but the change in her tone tells me she is not going to let them move into her suite. Is there an ethical way of handling this that gets them out?

DonCampbell

Investor, Analyst, Author, Philanthropist
Staff member
REIN Member
Hi,

The ethical way is to tell the truth. As a landlord myself, and if I called you, I would like to know the truth so I can address the situation with the incoming tenant. It would not hurt my decision however it would be a subject that I would speak with the prospective tenant about.

Remember, you`d want to hear the truth if there were any issues. It is the unethical landlords that withhold information from other landlords. But the big karmic wheel always comes back to get them in the end.

FayWong

Registered
QUOTE (DonCampbell @ Oct 24 2007, 08:56 AM) Hi,

The ethical way is to tell the truth. As a landlord myself, and if I called you, I would like to know the truth so I can address the situation with the incoming tenant. It would not hurt my decision however it would be a subject that I would speak with the prospective tenant about.

Remember, you`d want to hear the truth if there were any issues. It is the unethical landlords that withhold information from other landlords. But the big karmic wheel always comes back to get them in the end.Thanks for your response. I knew I would have to tell other landlords the truth, but was hoping to find a way to soften it. I am going to talk to my tenants and suggest that they bring it up when making their applications. it might be better if they shine the big spotlight on it instead of having the other landlord surpised with it when they call me. Thanks again.

Top Bottom