Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

REIN membership

invst4profit

Registered
As the original poster I just want to say I am following this thread with interest. Although still undecided on the REIN fit for me personally I will be getting Don`s book.

timk519

Registered
QUOTE (RebeccaBryan @ Nov 29 2007, 08:33 AM) REIN does that. It`s members need to follow the system. Every time I have waivered from the system, I have learned "hard" lessons. That`s what REIN was designed to do, learn by someone elses mistakes instead of making them yourself.

Myreinspace is another tool REIN members can use to help them keep on track and follow the system. Exactly! And that`s the value this organization has. RDPD doesn`t give it`s readers nearly the amount of information, or the "community" that`s developing here that enable people to support each other and learn from other`s experiences and mistakes. So while RDPD makes it sound so easy that one is tempted to "just go out and do it" (with as much potential of getting seriously burned as succeeding), REIN lays out "here`s what needs to be done, why it needs to be done, here`s a bunch of `gotchas` and how to avoid them."

QUOTE (RebeccaBryan)My question is: What kind of risks am I taking by not investing in real estate? What kind of challenges in the line of work I was in, previous to investing in real estate, did I have? I assure you many more than I have currently! "Challenges" are all relative to ones experience and expertise. For newbies just starting out in a area that`s new to them, having access to others who`ve "been there, done that" dramatically increases the likelihood of success compared to "going it alone" and stepping on a landmine along the way that they didn`t know was there.

timk519

Registered
QUOTE (invst4profit @ Nov 29 2007, 10:06 AM) As the original poster I just want to say I am following this thread with interest. Although still undecided on the REIN fit for me personally I will be getting Don`s book. Personally I`m still in the "undecided" camp in terms of jumping into the pool. I`ve read the first book, and am about 1/2 way through the "97 tips", as well as a number of other books. If there`s one thing I`m getting from all this, is how much I don`t know about all this.

My biggest challenge is that I can see this requires a seriously different mindset compared to what I`ve used as a software development professional. In my line of work, if something doesn`t work out I can easily delete it and do something different. You can`t do that when it comes to buying a property, which makes the sense of "risk" a lot different than what I`m used to. There`s also the surprising number of "sharks" to look out for out there.

I figure I`ll eventually jump in, and hopefully only wonder what all the concern was about.

invst4profit

Registered
I don`t know if groupes like REIN are helping or hindering the investment market. I do see a lot of people in the market with no practical experience (we were all there once) having pie in the sky visions of being a landlord. Unfortunatly they are driving up the prices on rental properties beyond where they can cash flow. They try to make a property work by putting more down or fooling themselves into believing expences won`t be as high as people say. Then when they fail at real estate investing they insist on still trying to make a profit when they bail out. I hope that REIN is working to prevent this type of swing.
I am going to a auction this weekend that should be typical of what I see. Two SFHs on a 20 acr lot. Very old farm style rented for 800 each. Opening bid is 60,000. If it goes above 80,000 (which it will, maybe double) these will not cash flow. I saw a lot of young couples at the open house and expect one of them will buy it.
My long term expectation is that the market will correct, drop considerably and novice investors facing higher interest rates will be forced to sell at considerable loss. How does that fit the REIN investment philosophy.

RebeccaBryan

Registered
Greg,

Knowledge deletes fear. I was fearful of investing when I had no knowledge about real estate investing, where to buy, how to calculate if an investment was able to be profitable or not, etc. Fear is eliminated with all the information belonging to an organization focused on how to help its members profit in real estate gives you.

If you ask some of the veteran real estate investors about interest rates when they first started you will find that they were paying much higher rates than we are now. Back in the 80`s they were paying double digit interest rates and they still made money. The main reason being, they stuck to their long term plan. They knew the fundamentals and how the real estate market worked. They also lived through high vacancy rates and empty properties. How did they do this? They had a plan, they stuck to their plan, they worked out what they would do if these things were to happen and they followed a proven system. They had all of the what ifs built into their system.

REIN doesn`t ever advise that you hang yourself out to dry! They give you the information you need to succeed. It`s really impossible to explain how much education you receive. You really have to experience it.

You can worry yourself about what if`s, and be paralyzed with fear or you can choose to educate yourself and move forward. Surrounding yourself with like minded people is KEY. Get rid of the Negative Nellies! Even if it`s your spouse! (That`s another debate). Negative people have the tendancy to drag you down. As far as I`m concerned, let the Negative Nellies do what they do best. The rest of us who see life as "happiness being our natural state" can move forward and succeed in our endevours.

I could babble about how this education has changed my life till I`m blue in the face and never convince someone that has already made up their mind/or are looking for excuses not to take action.

Fear is the reason many do not take action. Fear of the unknown. They are comfortable struggling to pay bills and living from pay check to pay check. That`s what they know. It`s easy. These people are in their "comfort zone". It becomes habit. Day in and day out, it`s the same thing, go to work, struggle to pay bills. I`ve been there, only 2 short years ago.

I babble about not needing to be educated to be successful, because that is my experience. I have a grade 12 education and I had to work hard in school in order to acheive that. If I can do this, almost anyone can.

Most of the millionaires/billionaires made their money in real estate. Has anyone ever read the McDonalds Story? I did many years ago. What do you think they are in the business of? Surprisingly the restaurant business is secondary. Their real business is REAL ESTATE. They own some of the most valuable real estate worldwide.

Face your fear. Live consciously! You make your own destiny.

invst4profit

Registered
Rebecca

Investing in real estate for me is only about numbers. I plug in the numbers on a place I am interested in, that tells me what the property is worth as a rental and that is what I offer (minus repair costs) regardless of how far it is below the asking price. Most places are not even worth making an offer on, 90% of offers are flat out rejected but every now and then it works out just right. Before I make any offers I research the background info on the owner. Knowing there personal life situation can give you some leverage or tell me to walk.
For new investers knowledge can eliminate most fear as you said, assuming it is the right knowledge, but you know inside everyone is that voice that says "money is everything" can I go forward knowing worst case scenario I can lose it all. That is a good voice because landlording is a tough business to be in. Unless you just pay someone else to do it for you.

albertarick

Registered
Invest4profit I think you are correct, in that there a lot of inexperienced people out there. Perhaps if they found REIN they would not be in the situation they are.

In particular I have watched a specific apartment building in Calgary over the last 4-5 years. It has been the object of many a flippers project. Having watched the prices go up on a crazy trajectory (via bidding wars no less!), and then to see these same units renovated, and now lingering vacant for sale 90-150 days with no action, begs the question, what are these people thinking?

In some cases the renos would have to be re-done they were completed so badly. Yet, the sellers are very loathe to do anything on price and get the units sold. Failure to limit their loss by selling or getting tenants, screams inexperience. I estimate some of these people are about to lose 40-60K on each unit, if and when they finally sell. Certainly not the result they expected when diving into RE.

The market in Calgary has taken a real breather. The failure to recognize the true risk of flipping in this type of market will be a lesson many will not soon forget.

That said, I still think RE is a great opportunity, but let`s not get caught up in the moment and lose sight of the true risks.

RebeccaBryan

Registered
QUOTE (invst4profit @ Nov 29 2007, 12:45 PM) Rebecca

Investing in real estate for me is only about numbers. I plug in the numbers on a place I am interested in, that tells me what the property is worth as a rental and that is what I offer (minus repair costs) regardless of how far it is below the asking price. Most places are not even worth making an offer on, 90% of offers are flat out rejected but every now and then it works out just right. Before I make any offers I research the background info on the owner. Knowing there personal life situation can give you some leverage or tell me to walk.
For new investers knowledge can eliminate most fear as you said, assuming it is the right knowledge, but you know inside everyone is that voice that says "money is everything" can I go forward knowing worst case scenario I can lose it all. That is a good voice because landlording is a tough business to be in. Unless you just pay someone else to do it for you.

You`re right, most properties won`t be worth making an offer on. Out of the 90 properties there may be 10 you would consider, and 1 or 2 you would actually make an offer on. Cool. Then maybe 1 you would remove conditions on and buy. Very Cool..... One step at a time. That Money Funnel is sure a great tool! I can`t handle doing more than one property at a time at this point anyway.

And I"m sure glad I do my own landlording, it`s only now that I`m considering delegating as it sure is hard work, but much easier if you use Pro-Active Landlording methods, stick to them and don`t cut corners. You can save yourself a lot of headaches!

In real estate purchases and landlording, making good decisions in purchasing and tenanting your properties makes you lucky and keeps you positive.

RebeccaBryan

Registered
QUOTE (albertarick @ Nov 29 2007, 01:03 PM) Invest4profit I think you are correct, in that there a lot of inexperienced people out there. Perhaps if they found REIN they would not be in the situation they are.

In particular I have watched a specific apartment building in Calgary over the last 4-5 years. It has been the object of many a flippers project. Having watched the prices go up on a crazy trajectory (via bidding wars no less!), and then to see these same units renovated, and now lingering vacant for sale 90-150 days with no action, begs the question, what are these people thinking?

In some cases the renos would have to be re-done they were completed so badly. Yet, the sellers are very loathe to do anything on price and get the units sold. Failure to limit their loss by selling or getting tenants, screams inexperience. I estimate some of these people are about to lose 40-60K on each unit, if and when they finally sell. Certainly not the result they expected when diving into RE.

The market in Calgary has taken a real breather. The failure to recognize the true risk of flipping in this type of market will be a lesson many will not soon forget.

That said, I still think RE is a great opportunity, but let`s not get caught up in the moment and lose sight of the true risks.

Yes these things happen to people who have no idea what they are doing! Flipping isn`t a good idea in this market, I agree. I`m all about the long term hold.

invst4profit

Registered
I wish that this forum had a "Real Estate Deal Analysis" heading where anyone, espically those looking at there first buy, could put in the details of a property they are considering for all the members to critique. This is of considerable benifit to novices on other forums. Does that exist in the members only section ?

Rebecca you sound like the poster child for REIN. I don`t mean that in a bad way. You are someone that had what it takes to do the job going in and therefor could benifit the most from what REIN had to offer.

albainstar

Registered
Jeremy Fleming
Thanks so much for yuor comments
I will try and attend as many meetings as possible
I plan on going to the next quickstart in bc, which is before the Edmonton one....but hten that will be my group.
I look forward to meeting all you REIN members, from what I have read here you are all great people!

RebeccaBryan

Registered
QUOTE (invst4profit @ Nov 29 2007, 02:23 PM) I wish that this forum had a "Real Estate Deal Analysis" heading where anyone, espically those looking at there first buy, could put in the details of a property they are considering for all the members to critique. This is of considerable benifit to novices on other forums. Does that exist in the members only section ?

Rebecca you sound like the poster child for REIN. I don`t mean that in a bad way. You are someone that had what it takes to do the job going in and therefor could benifit the most from what REIN had to offer.

Greg,

Yes that exists in the Members Only Section. In fact I have used it and it is very helpful.

And thank you for the compliment!

stevethrondson

REIN Member
Hi Greg,

I put off becoming a member for a couple years because it was "too expensive". I went to quickstart, joined at that event, and my membership has paid for itself 1000`s of times over in terms of not making expensive mistakes and making educated buying decisions. Within 1 year of being a member, I managed to make a big career change, get enough financial security that I no longer have to work, and I was able to help my family at the same time. If I wasn`t a REIN member, I`d probably only have 3 or 4 places and I`d be panicking right now like the rest of the amateur investors... You will see results.

If you are serious about becoming an investor and building wealth, then it`s a must have. It may sound funny, but I can`t imagine doing what I do without REIN and the network that I`ve built through the organization... Good luck out there!

Steve Throndson
MaxWell Realty
403 837-7368

QUOTE (invst4profit @ Nov 16 2007, 02:36 PM) Hi everyone. I am new here and trying to gauge the payback on my investment in membership.What I see on the surface is Training seminars, networking, JV`s, etc but what I don`t see on this public forum is a clear investment pholosphy. There is no hard hitting assesment of members investment opportunities. I have to assume that is taking place in the members only sections.
I do see some posts from what appear to be novice investors asking questions about problems they are having on what on the surface appear to be bad investments. Unfortunatly I don`t see them being told they are bad or that they should cut there loses and run.
Now don`t get me wrong I am not trying to criticize I am trying to analyze the value of being a member.
If the real bones are in the members sections how do I see if this group fits my investment philosophy.
I am a member on several REI forums as many of you probably are and have access to lots of investment info there and at the library. I have a local Investment real estate owners group and no need for partners so my question is (and I hope this dosn`t get me booted off the forum):

What does REIN offer that I can`t already get for free?

greghead

REIN Member
To put it simply, REIN is the Harverd of Real Estate Investing and it dons`nt cost $50k/yr to attend
style_emoticons

But I will say this, you get out what you put in so only you will be able to determine your ROI.

All the best.

Greg.

ChrisMewhort

Registered
I have to say that almost every member of REIN supports it so much that it is a little unnerving.

I will be joining in the new year, but I thought others might share that opinion and thought I`d voice it
style_emoticons

Grant

Registered
QUOTE (devc @ Dec 1 2007, 11:42 PM)
I have to say that almost every member of REIN supports it so much that it is a little unnerving.

I will be joining in the new year, but I thought others might share that opinion and thought I'd voice it
<

There may be others there who think the same as you. But honestly, if you found something great, wouldn't you tell your friends about it and recommend it to them? People do it all the time.

My basic conclusion after reading these posts, as well as what I've seen so far from working with REIN, is that if you use the information that REIN teaches and take action, you will do well. If you become a member and don't do anything with the information, you aren't going to get very far. It's as simple as that.

CarlaJohnson

Registered
QUOTE (invst4profit @ Nov 29 2007, 04:23 PM) I wish that this forum had a "Real Estate Deal Analysis" heading where anyone, espically those looking at there first buy, could put in the details of a property they are considering for all the members to critique. This is of considerable benifit to novices on other forums. Does that exist in the members only section ?

Hi Greg,

If you are looking for help with a purchase, you can use the "Real Estate Discussion" section under "Public Forums." My husband, Steven Roorda, noticed a posting by a Forum Member looking for help analyzing an agricultural purchase. This is an area he is very familiar with, so he shared his insight. RE investors - both REIN members and non-REIN members alike - enjoy pouring over numbers and discussing possibilities.

Cheers!

Carla

p.s. After you read Don`s books, you will better understand why many of us sound so "keen."

RebeccaBryan

Registered
QUOTE (Grant @ Dec 1 2007, 11:56 PM) There may be others there who think the same as you. But honestly, if you found something great, wouldn`t you tell your friends about it and recommend it to them? People do it all the time.

My basic conclusion after reading these posts, as well as what I`ve seen so far from working with REIN, is that if you use the information that REIN teaches and take action, you will do well. If you become a member and don`t do anything with the information, you aren`t going to get very far. It`s as simple as that.

Very True!

Shaune

Registered
QUOTE (invst4profit @ Nov 29 2007, 02:23 PM) I wish that this forum had a "Real Estate Deal Analysis" heading where anyone, espically those looking at there first buy, could put in the details of a property they are considering for all the members to critique. This is of considerable benifit to novices on other forums. Does that exist in the members only section ?

There are many "Poster Children" for REIN. I am one of them. I was involved in RE investing as the money side of a JV (with a REIN member) before I joined REIN. When I saw what could be done with OPM (Other People`s Money) I decided to join REIN and more actively pursue RE investments. Just one deal that I did that was directly attributable to REIN contacts and JV systems has netted me $75k in one year. That pays for my REIN membership until I retire and still leaves $50k for a real nice holiday (in Belize?).

Paraphrasing what Don Campbell has said many times at meetings, the 90-10 rule applies in REIN as it does in life. Only a small portion of REIN members will act and of those a large portion of the properties will be owned by a small portion of the members.

I consider my REIN membership a shrewd "investment" that has paid itself off multi-fold.

Shaune

raymm

Registered
How would REIN help with repairs, maintenance, for a person without a lot of handiman experience?

Top Bottom