Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

REMA for Macs

GarthChapman

Registered
REMA for Macs?

A few Users now have REMA running on their Macs, using Windows emulation software. Read on below.

My apologies to those who posted to this topic in the Troubleshooting thread. I tried to move that thread to this one and lost it instead.

BMironov

Registered
Hello,

REMA is Windows application. In general, to run such application on Mac OS X you have few options:
- run it under Windows via dual-boot on Intel iMac
- run it in virtualization mode under instance of Windows on Intel CPU (Parallels by Swsoft)
- run it in Windows emulation mode (Wine project)

OS X is based on BSD which has close ties to Linux. There is great free software that emulates Windows API and is available for Linux and Mac OS X. It is called Wine.

http://wiki.winehq.org/MacOSX

Please try REMA under Wine.

wwds

REIN Member
QUOTE (Chaps @ Oct 2 2007, 02:55 AM)
REMA for Macs?

We do not have a firm date yet for this but we are working on it, and happily so are some of you. Keep an eye on the Forum and there will be an announcement on this Forum when it is ready. We are hoping for late Oct or early Nov.

My apologies to those who posted to this topic in the Troubleshooting thread. I tried to move that thread to this one and lost it instead.

Please re-post if you can.

Dear Sir, I was wondering if you could help. Tried installing REMA in the following environment any suggestions or ideas would be appreciated.

thank you

Currently running win 98 se through wine using Q emulator on a power mac pc quad receive following error

"Runtime error 429 Active X component can't create object"

crooksb

Registered
You could try going to microsoft.com and do a search for MDAC. Find the latest version (2.8??), download and install it. This will load in the latest data access controls. Also, there is a Jet database driver update you might need - I don`t think it comes with MDAC any more. Do a search for that and download it as well. Let us know if that solves the problem.

Brian

wwds

REIN Member
QUOTE (crooksb @ Oct 7 2007, 03:44 PM)
You could try going to microsoft.com and do a search for MDAC. Find the latest version (2.8??), download and install it. This will load in the latest data access controls. Also, there is a Jet database driver update you might need - I don't think it comes with MDAC any more. Do a search for that and download it as well. Let us know if that solves the problem.

Brian

Will try this and let you know.

Thank you very much

Happy Thanks Giving

Steven

BMironov

Registered
QUOTE (crooksb @ Oct 7 2007, 02:44 PM)
You could try going to microsoft.com and do a search for MDAC. Find the latest version (2.8??), download and install it. This will load in the latest data access controls. Also, there is a Jet database driver update you might need - I don't think it comes with MDAC any more. Do a search for that and download it as well. Let us know if that solves the problem.

Brian

Hi Brian,

The funny thing is that Microsoft requires to run "genuine Microsoft Windows" before it lets you load MDAC. How Mac or Linux could be "genuine Windows"?
<

I will try load it via Windows.

Best regards,

Boris

Anonymous

Registered
I am looking forward to when the Mac version will be ready. I do have Rema running on a Windows partition on my Mac, using VMware. But I find that OSX works so much faster and more flexible then the windows partition. And if it wasn`t that I am a Programmer for work I wouldn`t have the windows Xp partion at all.

GarthChapman

Registered
Can you post the details on how others can do this? Specifics like what Mac operating systems can handle it, what do they have to have, to buy, to do, etc?
And please email us at [email protected] if we can help in this also.
Thanks,

wwds

REIN Member
[quote name=`wwds` date=`Oct 7 2007, 04:14 PM` post=`1720`]

Upon trying to install REMA again;

Recently installed MDAC

Still getting runtime error 429 "can`t create object"

any other suggestions would be appreciated

Thank you very much

Steven

Using win 98 se

GarthChapman

Registered
Hi Steven,
Did you download the Jet database driver update that Brian referred you to?

JKF

REIN Member
Hello!

Congratulations on your efforts to adapt REMA to the Mac platform. I've used it with Windows and found it to be extremely useful and flexible. We appreciate the fact that the team keeps providing regular updates and patches to refine its software. However, now that I've moved to Mac, it would definitely be a plus for me to have a Mac version.

Francis Theriault

QUOTE (Chaps @ Oct 2 2007, 03:55 AM)
REMA for Macs?

We do not have a firm date yet for this but we are working on it, and happily so are some of you. Keep an eye on the Forum and there will be an announcement on this Forum when it is ready. We are hoping for late Oct or early Nov.

Please re-post if you can.

wwds

REIN Member
QUOTE (Chaps @ Oct 16 2007, 09:35 AM)
Hi Steven,

Did you download the Jet database driver update that Brian referred you to?

Yes I DL'd the Data base.

Also I've tried to install on a Win 2000 think pad received Run same error message. Can't create object error message.

Thank you in advance for your help

Steven

JKF

REIN Member
Hello!
Just for your information, I am running REMA on my MAC with Parallels Desktop
(http://www.parallels.com) and installed Windows XP (or Vista). With Leoparp (available really soon), you should be able to run it on Boot Camp (Free with this new version).

Francis

wwds

REIN Member
QUOTE (wwds @ Oct 17 2007, 05:54 PM)
Yes I DL'd the Data base.

Also I've tried to install on a Win 2000 think pad received Run same error message. Can't create object error message.

Thank you in advance for your help

Steven

Dear Garth,

I once again successfully re-installed Jet driver v3.5 and Microsoft Data Access Components v2.8. this time on a IBM Thinkpad. At this time setup gives me the following error dialog box;

"Setup cannot continue because some files are out of date on your system. Click OK if you would like setup to update these file for you now. You will need to restart Windows before you can run setup again. Click cancel to exit setup without updating system file."

When I click OK and the machine successfully reboots and I run REMA setup, it loops back into this same error message as stated above.

The above is one of the primary reasons I have transitioned my office completely over to Macs so I do not have to contend with this type of troubleshooting and time expenditure on a regular basis. That being said, I am looking forward to being able to evaluate your software and persevere so that I can at least get it installed and running.

Regards,

Steven

GarthChapman

Registered
QUOTE (JKF @ Oct 17 2007, 06:42 PM) Hello!
(http://www.parallels.com) and installed Windows XP (or Vista). With Leoparp (available really soon), you should be able to run it on Boot Camp (Free with this new version).

Francis

Way to go Francis! We need a bit more info so we can provide a detailed solutionfor all our Mac Users - hoping you can provide for us:
1) Is your Mac on OS10? If not, which OS?
2) Is your Mac running the Intel chip? If not, which chip?
Thanks,

wwds

REIN Member
QUOTE (Chaps @ Oct 18 2007, 06:41 PM) Way to go Francis! We need a bit more info so we can provide a detailed solutionfor all our Mac Users - hoping you can provide for us:
Thanks,

Hello Francis and Garth,

1) Current operating system is Tiger Mac OSX 10.4.10
2) Chips are Power PC G5 Quad

So the Intel chip solutions are not available to me
I am using Virtual PC latest update by Microsoft to run my contemporary PC Apps.

Any suggestions would be appreciated on running REMA under VPC on Win 98se

Regards,

Steven

JKF

REIN Member
Hello!

Sorry for the delay... It is working on OS 10 and Leopard for sure. Yes, it is running the Intel chip.

Hope it helps.

Francis

QUOTE (Chaps @ Oct 18 2007, 07:41 PM) Way to go Francis! We need a bit more info so we can provide a detailed solutionfor all our Mac Users - hoping you can provide for us:
Thanks,

wwds

REIN Member
QUOTE (JKF @ Oct 17 2007, 09:42 PM) Hello!

Francis

Hi Francis,

I am using Virtual PC latest update by Microsoft to run my contemporary PC Apps.

Regards,

Steven

JKF

REIN Member
Hello Stephen!

Not sure if it is an option for you (hardware) but if you install the latest OS (Leopard) and install Bootcamp???

If not... put more pressure on REMA`s team for the MAC version
style_emoticons
style_emoticons
style_emoticons

Francis

QUOTE (wwds @ Oct 28 2007, 11:42 PM) Hi Francis,

Regards,

Steven

BMironov

Registered
QUOTE (JKF @ Oct 29 2007, 09:07 AM) Hello Stephen!

Not sure if it is an option for you (hardware) but if you install the latest OS (Leopard) and install Bootcamp???

If not... put more pressure on REMA`s team for the MAC version
style_emoticons
style_emoticons
style_emoticons

Francis

Hello JKF,

I do not think that "putting more pressure" will solve the problem. Just take a moment and think about what you ask for:
1) It is different CPU type from Intel x86 architecture
2) It is Microsoft software stack that you want to run on your computer

By "putting more pressure" you want REMA team to provide you a solution for totally different hardware and software stack. On another side of this equasion is "what all these efforts will bring". You want them to put all the time just to serve very small segment of the market (iMac on Power CPU, which is not going to be supported even by Apple itself). Sounds like a "cul-de-sac". These days you can purchase decent PC (on Intel or AMD) for $600 from major players like Dell. Christmas sale season is coming, so you can get a good deal for sure.

It could be an option down the road to migrate REMA code to something more friendly to other environments (eg., web interfaces, MySQL backend, ...) but it will require a major redesign effors and few months of execution not to mention another developer platform.

My opinion is that it is more important for REMA team to spend time on cleaning code from mistakes (or as we use to call them "bugs") and adding some critical functionality that is missing at the moment.

style_emoticons
Just to make you feel beeter. My personal preference is Linux. If something runs on Linux it runs everywhere.

Cheers,
Boris

Top Bottom