Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Retiring at 40 Years of Age

Nischal

Registered
December 2015 will be a very memorable month for me and my family. After months of contemplation and planning, I will be retiring from my job of more than 8 years. Christmas Eve will be my very last day on the job as an "employee".

When we started investing in real estate seven years ago, my goal was to claim back my life from doing two jobs working seven days a week and retire way before the Canadian retirement age. Freedom at 45 was my ultimate goal to allow me to spend more time with the family. I also wanted to get more involved in the lives of my soul partner Zaveena and boys, Neaville and Jayden. At the end of the day, that is what matters most and I was so glad to realize that a few years ago through the teachings of Dr. Wayne Dyer.

Fast forward 7 years later - despite making several mistakes that cost us hundreds of thousands of dollars; learning from those mistakes and using those as stepping stones enabled me to leave my job and pursue my passion in real estate investing at 40 years of age.

I am extremely grateful and very lucky to be surrounded by so many inspiring people who gave me the confidence and support to alter my plans and retire 5 years earlier. This huge transition in life and getting out of the rat race would not have been possible without our investments in real estate. I don’t see any other investment that could support an early retirement.

My biggest regret in real estate investing was in 2007 when I attended my very first ACRE in Vancouver. I did not join REIN that weekend because to me back then, the monthly membership felt a little bit too expensive. Darn it! I was still a rookie and couldn’t put value to the tremendous knowledge pool I could have tapped into.

After venturing out on my own for 4 years, doing trial and error and not making much success, I decided to join REIN in January of 2012. That was the best decision I made as far as real estate investing goes. The teachings at REIN inspired me to take much needed action to tweak my business and management systems to improve the cash flow which eventually replaced my income from the full time job.

My biggest lesson in life was when I started to venture out in real estate investing while still being an employee in 2007 was this powerful quote by Jim Rohn –

If you work hard on your job, you can make a living. If you work hard on yourself, you can make a fortune.

This has been a life changing quote for me. I masterminded this quote and have been living by this philosophy for the past 8 years. I am always looking for every opportunity to learn. Real Estate is just like any other business. The success depends on the energy the person brings with an absolute mindset. I encouraged my entire family to work on themselves first to attain that mindset. We just can’t make someone change. We can facilitate that and I slowly started taking my entire family to personal improvement seminars even though Neaville and Jayden were 7 and 11 years old. I guess they didn’t have much of a choice back then. Our families thought we were losing our mind taking our boys to personal improvement seminars and doing fire walks.

The teachings of Tony Robbins and his program – Unleash the Power Within was one of the many we attended. For the past 3 years, we have been volunteering for Tony Robbins at his events throughout USA as a family. Life is just a great learning experience for us.

This strategy helped me immensely in our real estate business because we are in it as a family. We brainstorm ideas at home as a family. Our son, Neaville is 13 and became a REIN member when he was 12. This investment becomes so much fun when your entire family is involved in the business.

My purchasing criteria also changed after joining REIN and I started investing in larger multi-family buildings. That improved my cash flow tremendously and my clientele profile changed as well. There were fewer vacancies and the clients stayed longer in larger multi-family buildings.

I more than doubled my units after joining REIN using their proven systems. At the time of this posting, we proudly own 130 units. We are currently working on a 35 unit multi-family building that is scheduled to close in January of 2016. This acquisition will push our real estate portfolio to 165 units.

My association with REIN has been instrumental in providing me the tools and confidence to go and live my BELIZE. That is the power of REIN. This would not have been possible without Don Campbell, Russell Westcott, Patrick Francey , Melanie Reuter, Richard Dolan and the rest of the support team at the REIN BC office. This group of result proven professionals ensure you are on top of your game. There is still so much to learn in this business.

The Mastermind Group we formed with 4 other real estate investors 2 years ago also keeps me accountable and stay committed to my goals. And of course my soul partner Zaveena and boys Neaville & Jayden who continuously supported me in all my endeavors.

2016 will be a brand new beginning for this immigrant from Fiji who migrated to this beautiful country with a few pocket change 15 years ago.

The best is yet to come!!!

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member
Very impressive & an inspiration for many to get going and start doing, as merely having knowledge is insufficient. One has to purposefully, energetically and repeatedly apply one's acquired knowledge. You have done that.

Congratulations.

Last edited:

Nischal

Registered
Very impressive & an inspiration for many to get going and start doing, as merely having knowledge is insufficient, one has to purposefully apply it. You have done that.

Congratulations.

Thank you so much Thomas. You are one of my real estate idols.

R

RussellWestcott

Wow Nischal... both my wife and I had a tear in our eye after reading your story. Thank you for being such a wonderful inspiration and a guiding light for all members in the family! So happy for your success, and indeed the best is yet to come!!!

Tyler Mossman

New Forum Member
Registered
Thank-you for sharing your story Nischal. You are limitless!~

I think it's super-cool that you were bringing your little ones to personal improvement seminars at such a young age. After all, nobody ever said "You're too young to improve yourself." I'll do the same for my youngsters when I become a father.

Hearing about you surpassing your own early retirement goals, gives me a special feeling, and a little bit of a rush. I don't know if it's inspiration, excitement, hope, or just plain joy... But it feels good. You and I are complete strangers, yet you're actions over the past few years and your choice to share your gratitude with the REIN Community have just changed the direction of my day. I've been a little down on myself lately, making up excuses for not taking action. (I have 2 private deals sitting in my lap, and haven't written offers yet.) Your success story is great motivation to get moving. I'll write them tonight.

I would like my own success story to sound a lot like yours. You got the knowledge, made a choice, and took action. That's my favourite formula for success, and a little tag-line that I'm starting to use.

I want to be able to say, "I invest in large multi-family buildings." It's got a hell of a good ring to it.

I'm making progress towards that goal bit, by bit. My beautiful partner Clarrie and I started studying real estate about 2 years ago and now have a growing portfolio of 5 properties, with 8 rental doors total. We have a long way to go, but the journey will be a blast.

Thanks again.
-Tyler Mossman
Knowledge+Choice+Action=Success
...the math has been done for you...

Nischal

Registered
Wow Nischal... both my wife and I had a tear in our eye after reading your story. Thank you for being such a wonderful inspiration and a guiding light for all members in the family! So happy for your success, and indeed the best is yet to come!!!
Thank you so much Russell. You have been a great inspiration in our lives. Amazing souls like you and Corinne always gives us the drive to search out for more from our life.

Ryan 7238

New Forum Member
REIN Member
Thank you for sharing your story again, Nischal! The first time I heard it was at a meetup group in Vancouver back on October 14th. Hearing your story and how Neaville purchased his first property was inspirational and amazing. I too attended my first REIN event (Vancouver Acre LIVE 2015) last November but didn't sign-up yet. Same feeling like you. Figuring out how I was going to afford the Membership. I was fortunate enough to sat at a table with people who didn't know much about real estate or got burned in the past on bad deals. Those were the feeling & thoughts I was going through during the event. But when they joined REIN a few years ago, it was the best decision they ever made. The couple that got burned in a real estate deal and stopped investing in real estate for 20 years are an elderly couple now but just to see the support they got from the community and also their happiness for one another lit that fire for me and for my young family.

I have the same goal as you and I want to retire from being an employee at the only job I ever had since coming out of high school in 1998. I want to retire when I hit 40 years old by December 31, 2020. That now only leaves me 4 years to reach that. I'm just at my humble beginnings but the best time to plant is today or on the 15th in my case. I officially became a REIN member with the help of my mom who has her own real estate portfolio. My mom is already 65 & I want to help her continue her passion for real estate investing. My Meetup up group in Vancouver has been very helpful and I thank Bai, Bo, Brian & Nicky for their valuable support & time. I'm looking forward to meeting more people at the REIN events and on these forums. Possible shake your hand, Nischal, when add my first property to my portfolio.

Real Estate maybe a new language for me and a new experience but so has work and life. We don't go in knowing what to do. We get trained, we learn & we experience it until it becomes 2nd nature to us. You are a hard worker Nischal. I recall your story at the meetup group and the jobs you did and the hours you put to support your family and your dreams for a better life. I'm looking forward to hearing & reading your success and your family's success.

All the very best,

Ryan Jarata

Last edited:

Thomas Beyer

REIN Member

I have the same goal as you and I want to retire from being an employee at the only job I ever had since coming out of high school in 1998. I want to retire when I hit 40 years old by December 31, 2020. That now only leaves me 4 years to reach that. ..

You got 14 already .. impressive, too. Congratulation.

"retirement" is over-rated. Rephrase to it "financial freedom" instead. Then you might chose to work or perhaps chose to work with a different attitude, with more confidence, as you can quit anyday, as that will make a big big difference to many of your co-workers. What you do defines you, be it work for money, work for pleasure, work to contribute to society or work to buy and manage real estate.

Work often has that negative attribute in our society. I wonder why. No one is forced to work any job in this society. You can quit any day. You can chose to PEI or live abroad for a year, or work at a charity or pro-bono, if your finances allow it.

SamPerren

Ask how YOU can profit from the boom in Kamloops!
Registered
Congratulations! My last day is January 1. Retirement party is tonight. Although I know there are many years of hard work and head of me in real estate, I am so happy to know longer be shackled to shiftwork anymore. Thanks for sharing Nischal, I'm glad I'm not the only "crazy one" !

Nischal

Registered
Congratulations! My last day is January 1. Retirement party is tonight. Although I know there are many years of hard work and head of me in real estate, I am so happy to know longer be shackled to shiftwork anymore. Thanks for sharing Nischal, I'm glad I'm not the only "crazy one" !

Congratulations Sam! That is awesome. Super excited for you. It is amazing what real estate can bring about in ones life when done with crystal clear goals and mindset.

Nischal

Registered
Thank you for sharing your story again, Nischal! The first time I heard it was at a meetup group in Vancouver back on October 14th. Hearing your story and how Neaville purchased his first property was inspirational and amazing. I too attended my first REIN event (Vancouver Acre LIVE 2015) last November but didn't sign-up yet. Same feeling like you. Figuring out how I was going to afford the Membership. I was fortunate enough to sat at a table with people who didn't know much about real estate or got burned in the past on bad deals. Those were the feeling & thoughts I was going through during the event. But when they joined REIN a few years ago, it was the best decision they ever made. The couple that got burned in a real estate deal and stopped investing in real estate for 20 years are an elderly couple now but just to see the support they got from the community and also their happiness for one another lit that fire for me and for my young family.

I have the same goal as you and I want to retire from being an employee at the only job I ever had since coming out of high school in 1998. I want to retire when I hit 40 years old by December 31, 2020. That now only leaves me 4 years to reach that. I'm just at my humble beginnings but the best time to plant is today or on the 15th in my case. I officially became a REIN member with the help of my mom who has her own real estate portfolio. My mom is already 65 & I want to help her continue her passion for real estate investing. My Meetup up group in Vancouver has been very helpful and I thank Bai, Bo, Brian & Nicky for their valuable support & time. I'm looking forward to meeting more people at the REIN events and on these forums. Possible shake your hand, Nischal, when add my first property to my portfolio.

Real Estate maybe a new language for me and a new experience but so has work and life. We don't go in knowing what to do. We get trained, we learn & we experience it until it becomes 2nd nature to us. You are a hard worker Nischal. I recall your story at the meetup group and the jobs you did and the hours you put to support your family and your dreams for a better life. I'm looking forward to hearing & reading your success and your family's success.

All the very best,

Ryan Jarata
You are very welcome Ryan. Congratulations on becoming a REIN member. That is the best investment one can do to take their real estate business to the next level. The prime key is the leverage factor where you can stand on the shoulders of numerous seasoned real estate investors and pick their brain for ideas. Looking forward to see you at the next REIN meeting.

Fredric Suresh

Registered
Congratulation Nischal. I am newbie investor and you have inspired me. Thanks for sharing. Please think about writing a book that
people like me can read and reread to improve out investing. God Bless.

DonCampbell

Investor, Analyst, Author, Philanthropist
Staff member
REIN Member
An inspiring story of patience, focus, empathy and action.

THANK YOU for being that quiet leader on so many levels. I am really looking forward to seeing what the next phase looks like for you

See you again soon

Don

Top Bottom